Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

joe if you think like bob you need your head examined QUICK
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Only one thing to say

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    even that came out wrong ................. I like Bob.

Cruzr Joe
    Takemeds.jpg
    2014 Pearl white RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I wanted to know, was why the O.P. Wanted the information. I even explained why in a later post...
    I'm sorry If you misunderstood my reason for asking...

but I won't apologize for asking a perfectly valid question.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    All I wanted to know, was why the O.P. Wanted the information. I even explained why in a later post...
    I'm sorry If you misunderstood my reason for asking...

but I won't apologize for asking a perfectly valid question.

Its all good Bob

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.
    No; that was me... There's no need to take aim at anybody else in here; it was me.

...and you completely misinterpreted my inquiry...
    Grow some thicker hide, and maybe you'll be okay...

Spyder Garage

Bob, the last thing I want is to get involved in a pissing contest here, but you questioned my motives for asking exactly the type of questions these forums are designed to entertain and then characterized your own questioning of my motives as "perfectly valid". I respectfully point out that you're a fellow board member, not the board administrator, and as such it isn't your function to determine or approve of other posters' motives.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But it WOULD make a difference, as to whether or not you'd have gotten an answer...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

$500 oil change? You need a new dealer. My 3000 mi service was $172. It was $158 for my 2011 RSS.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Not a problem Bob, have a nice evening.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2010 cost right around $115, and the new bike is only $20 more...

Spyder Garage

Red face Group beat down

Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.
    It's a very old practice here. I'd venture to say had the opposite happened concerning problems pre 2014. BRP may have avoided the situation they currently find themselves in.

Don't take it personally or think you are the first. They have done the same to long standing members who have all but disappeared from the site. Unfortunately.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Just as an aside to the earlier discussion, the dealer in Staten Island where I bought my first two Spyders gets $500 for a standard service, as does Xtreme machines here in New Jersey. There aren't any other dealers nearby. To the best of my knowledge, the service consists of an oil change, buds updates, and a look at the belt and fasteners. Is this a regional difference? Who knows?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Knowing about potential problems lessens the impact of the problem IF it happens to you. I don't see any point in keeping secrets about problems that may or may not occur. I haven't had many with my 2010 RT but I knew about every one of them before they happened because I read about them on Spyderlovers. When my throttle bodies started to act up 200 miles into a 1000 mile round trip to New Mexico, I just kept going because I knew how to deal with the problem. When I got home BRP replaced the throttle body under warranty. When it dumped me into limp mode from 70 mph in a long sweeping curve, I knew what had happened and how to deal with it. When I found a spot of anti-freeze under the RT in the garage, I knew to check the coolant tank for cracks and that was the problem.

I never expected my RT to be perfect. I never owned a motorcycle that was. BRP and my dealer have supported their product better than any company I've ever dealt with but that doesn't mean I won't have problems. So, I'm always glad to see threads that ask questions about Spyders. That's how we learn. Frankly, I ignore some of the threads because there are some riders who would be better off in their air conditioned and heated cages. But I have no problems with threads that ask legitimate questions.

Cotton
    Last edited by bikeguy; 12-04-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just as an aside to the earlier discussion, the dealer in Staten Island where I bought my first two Spyders gets $500 for a standard service, as does Xtreme machines here in New Jersey. There aren't any other dealers nearby. To the best of my knowledge, the service consists of an oil change, buds updates, and a look at the belt and fasteners. Is this a regional difference? Who knows?
    I don't know if it's too far of a trip for you...
    ...But my guy is in Walton, NY
    Klinger PowerSports
    607 865 6326
    Ask to speak with Aaron.

Spyder Garage

Default Inspection Sticker not staying attached

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    tried it i think they have a bad bunch of stickers, i have been through 3 so far
    When all else fails you can always try thumb tacks or staples.
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Thank you Bob, but its too far. I'm in south Jersey. I try to schedule my service for Americade week at Progressive Motorsports in Hudson Falls NY, but it doesn't always work out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know a little bit about South Jersey...
    My Collegiate sentence was served in Lawrenceville, and most of my co-conspirators have actually seen the Jersey devil!
    But; it'd be a nice ride!

Spyder Garage

Default WOW!!

For the last year most folks here have touted the 2014 RT as the great solution to all of the 2013 RT problems. Now, it doesn't seem as all encompassing as at first blush. Is the 2015 even better still? Than what? The 2014? Or the 2013? I cannot answer that, as I only own a 2013 RTL and I have no way of comparing the different models. Even with its problems, my wife & I ride our 2013 RTL as much as possible, and for the most part, we enjoy it. When it is at the dealer for 2 weeks, we don't like it so much. But hey, we did rack up 8K miles this season, and it was great. Looking forward to April (or May) 2015 for more miles piled on!!
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bee!! View Post
    Just i would add my 2 cents here. I have had No Problems with my 2014 RTS. Will have to change tire, by like people say that's more of a supplier problem than a manufacturers problem... I also do like to look for threads about what different issues the 2014 are having. Then if it happens to me i'll know that it's just not me... Teri
    I agree with you about the part where you stated "its a manufacturers problem" BUT .. being realistic... Spyder owners bought these machines from BRP they made the money ... and they should warranty any part that fails to perform .. so in my thinking BRP should warranty any part that is defective.... if we had to deal with each part manufacturer separately for a defective part... it would be a absolute nightmare..

OSM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    I don't understand why (especially lately) members of this forum have to invent different ways/things to complain about their Spyders.
    As has been said many times now, this is not a Bitch forum.
    The whole idea (my take anyways) of this forum was to have a place for like minded people to share their experiences and yes share the difficulties one might have experienced so to get feedback from other riders on possible remedies.
    Starting a thread for the sole purpose of compiling a list of every known negative instance that has occurred on one Spyder or another solves nothing and truly takes away from what this site is all about.
    I AGREE.....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ignition

there were a few bad ignitions that BRP sent out a notice for on your key tag there is a little tiny plastic tag that has some numbers on it they can identify the bad ignitions by these numbers. and yes I am getting a little tired of the group beat downs as well this forum is for the exchange of useful information the good bad & the ugly at times. I think cabin fever is starting to set in.
    I love the heck out of my 2013 STL but I am not gonna pretend that there are no issues just to make a few people happy.

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe Some Clarification on "Common Issues"

Perhaps I can offer some clarification on my experience with two of the "common issues" listed in the start of this topic and about which I commented on in two other threads. Does my fuel pump make some noise when I turn the key? Yes. Is it too loud/noisy? I haven't the foggiest idea. My experience with the big E appearing in the gearbox position window of the multifunction gauge does not IMO constitute a gearshift sensor malfunction. The operator's guide, pg. 144, states that N and R gear indicator lights in the speedometer section of the multifunction gauge will be flashing (don't know if it means one or both) and the E appears in the gearbox position window instead of the selected gear.

Gear Sensor Malfunction.jpg

I have never experienced those N and/or R lights flashing with the E appearing instead of the selected gear. Again, to me not an issue.

Does my Spyder run like I expected when I drove it off the lot –- fast, slow and in between? You damn betcha! That's why I'm just chalking up both situations as something to inquire about in just a couple hundred miles at the 3K service and do not consider them problems with my Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2014s are a vastly improved bike over previous offerings...
    But, the roll-out of them hasn't been all Beer and Skittles...
    There were some oil leaks reported
    The ignition switches that needed replacing
    Some windshield mounting screws that would pop their heads off at an inopportune time
    Noisy (?) fuel pumps
    And of course; the nagging suspicions that BRP still can't align the front end of a bike properly at the factory

Other than that..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The 2014s are a vastly improved bike over previous offerings...
    But, the roll-out of them hasn't been all Beer and Skittles...
    There were some oil leaks reported
    The ignition switches that needed replacing
    Some windshield mounting screws that would pop their heads off at an inopportune time
    Noisy (?) fuel pumps
    And of course; the nagging suspicions that BRP still can't align the front end of a bike properly at the factory

Other than that..
    Mine has the key switch that malfunctions sometimes and the frunk won't latch back. The cable must be slipping on the key switch. I can turn the key back and forth a time or two and it will then let the frunk latch. Is this the issue you are talking about with the ignition switches being replaced or is that a different issue? It is a minor thing and I'll have the dealer look at it at my 3000 mile service.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Default Keep asking questions

Don't let a few people keep you from asking others to share their experience. I purchased a 2013 RT Limited and was very disappointed after riding for 15 minutes due to the unpleasant heat build up. Therefore, thanks to the forum information regarding the 2014, I took an $8500 loss on my 2013 to purchase a 2014. Guess what? It was worth it. The 14 is everything I wanted when I purchased the 13. I bet BRP would not have moved as fast on the 14 if our comments had not been available.

Seems that some on this forum would prefer that we only talk about farkels. I value the kind of feedback you are looking for from other owners. This is objective feedback from actual experience. None of us bought Syders in hopes of being a part of future litigation. Looking at the ages of RT owners it appears that they attract an older, mature, professional group of riders. Don't let the grouchy ones deter your participation.

Thanks Joe, but I'm long past the days when anything on the Internet can upset me. I was moved to write my last post because I enjoy a good technical forum, and I love to ride.

I'm saddened to see the decline in civility I've noticed in recent days and puzzled by the reactions to what seemed to me to be completely innocuous questions. Lamont administered the GL1800 board to which I referred in my earlier post, and I'd like to see him weigh in on appropriate decorum for this board.

BTW, I've always noticed that your posts are designed to be both useful and good natured, and for that you have my thanks.