Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Recap of 2014 RT Problems

I thought I'd gather the collective experience of my fellow 2014 RTS owners to identify all common issues that have been experienced to date. So far I've seen threads detailing:

1. Uneven tire wear
    2. Loud/defective fuel pumps
    3. Defective shift sensors

Any other common issues other than the $500 oil changes?
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you trying to accomplish?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Awareness of potential problem areas and to tap into the experience of others with the same bike, of course.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT is a new design release for BRP so there will be quirks, fails and issues as with any new vehicle on the market. It is a risk and I am sure the F3 issues will start popping up soon.

Spyder Garage

Default Recap of 2014 RT Problems

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    I thought I'd gather the collective experience of my fellow 2014 RTS owners to identify all common issues that have been experienced to date. So far I've seen threads detailing:

1. Uneven tire wear

I think that the issues that you are complaining about are of no great consequence and easily managed. The problems encountered by 2014 owners are less frequent and of less danger to the Spyder operator than many current issues facing operators of current model automobiles.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I don't understand why (especially lately) members of this forum have to invent different ways/things to complain about their Spyders.
    As has been said many times now, this is not a Bitch forum.
    The whole idea (my take anyways) of this forum was to have a place for like minded people to share their experiences and yes share the difficulties one might have experienced so to get feedback from other riders on possible remedies.
    Starting a thread for the sole purpose of compiling a list of every known negative instance that has occurred on one Spyder or another solves nothing and truly takes away from what this site is all about.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Problem is..!!

This site is full of threads with problems 2014's included. They had tire problems due to a compound change but have corrected it, they had a batch of faulty fuel pumps and corrected that and some others I won't list because this will only make the uninformed reader/shopper think that all of them have this problem. All vehicles have problems because they do not make all the parts. Suppliers change as does quality and they have to correct this constantly. Lists like this are a bad idea...jmho...those I ryde with have had none of these problems...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I know those who have had no problems can say what they want but objective comments on what to watch for are a good thing. Constantly deriding anyone who mentions an issue serves no purpose. This forum is to help owners and not just the ones that have no issues I am happy for you all. Some people have not been so lucky and knowing what has happened may help them at the dealer resolving said issues.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awareness of potential problem areas and to tap into the experience of others with the same bike, of course.
    Yes...
    But I've also seen several instances, where "litigation experts" were on fishing expeditions...
    And I'm not going to help them.

Spyder Garage

i only have one complaint about my 14 rt, the inspection sticker will not stay stuck where the say it goes. upper a arm cover
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    Try cleaning the site with either alcohol, or even some MEK...
    That's a spot that often gets hit with cleaning solutions, and they might not have been wiped completely free...

Spyder Garage

And there's a great aftermarket fix for the windshield too.. Wish someone had come up with a fix for my K12's center stand. It went out 3x at $1100 a pop. Fortunately for me, BMW paid for them... Every machine has its quirks, and the 14s are the best yet....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    John,
    Try cleaning the site with either alcohol, or even some MEK...
    That's a spot that often gets hit with cleaning solutions, and they might not have been wiped completely free...
    tried it i think they have a bad bunch of stickers, i have been through 3 so far
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

1. Uneven tire wear

Not here. I put 10K miles on mine this year.
    1. Got 9,500 on the old tire. The revised compound tire is now on mine.
    2. No problem with fuel pumps
    3. No problem with shift sensors
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-04-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    tried it i think they have a bad bunch of stickers, i have been through 3 so far
    Did the have a bad bunch of inspection stickers? Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dee,
    It just seems that New York State's Motor Vehicle Inspection stickers.... aren't actually sticking!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think whom ever started thread had a good idea... we all learn about these machines by bringing either good/bad things to light... it could avoid an unpleasant experience from happening... I for one do not see any reason not to bring up shortcomings of these machines.. if someone does not care to read a certain post... its darn easy to skip it...

OSM

Spyder Garage

Default No Problems!!!

Just i would add my 2 cents here. I have had No Problems with my 2014 RTS. Will have to change tire, by like people say that's more of a supplier problem than a manufacturers problem... I also do like to look for threads about what different issues the 2014 are having. Then if it happens to me i'll know that it's just not me... Teri

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Bob D. I don't care for these "fishing" threads. If people have a problem, they can come here, ask a question, and hopefully, someone can help them out. That was how this forum started, and how it was up until recently.

The more I read, the less I like to visit here anymore...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just figure that it's best to know what's driving the search for information of this type...

Spyder Garage

Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.

Spyder Garage

Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.

Don't let it upset you, some times we misread a posters intent, it's all good and some support for your thoughts were also posted.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe, but I'm long past the days when anything on the Internet can upset me. I was moved to write my last post because I enjoy a good technical forum, and I love to ride.

I'm saddened to see the decline in civility I've noticed in recent days and puzzled by the reactions to what seemed to me to be completely innocuous questions. Lamont administered the GL1800 board to which I referred in my earlier post, and I'd like to see him weigh in on appropriate decorum for this board.

BTW, I've always noticed that your posts are designed to be both useful and good natured, and for that you have my thanks.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe, but I'm long past the days when anything on the Internet can upset me. I was moved to write my last post because I enjoy a good technical forum, and I love to ride.

I'm saddened to see the decline in civility I've noticed in recent days and puzzled by the reactions to what seemed to me to be completely innocuous questions. Lamont administered the GL1800 board to which I referred in my earlier post, and I'd like to see him weigh in on appropriate decorum for this board.

BTW, I've always noticed that your posts are designed to be both useful and good natured, and for that you have my thanks.

Thank you ................ But sometime the voices in my head match the ones in Bobs head and i say dumb things.

Post on, all is good

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

even that came out wrong ................. I like Bob.

Cruzr Joe