Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default "E" shift sensor error

I first saw the E on my SE6 gear indicator on the first ride home from the dealer. The owners manual says it is a shift sensor error, if I recall correctly.

Didn't see it again until today, and it happened several times. Only happens when shifting up, not downshifting. When it pops up, I can't change gears until it disappears. All I can do is throttle back and wait a few seconds. I have an appointment for the dealer to troubleshoot it next week.

i was curious if anyone else has seen this? If so, what was the fix? I like to anticipate possible solutions if the dealer says they can't find a problem.

I see no other warnings or caution lights when it happens, in case anyone is wondering.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There has been some chatter in here about this...
    Try slowing down your shifting routine; perhaps the computers & sensors can't keep up with you.
    Good Luck; let us know what the dealer finds!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Bob - I am suspicious that the speed of my up shifting might be a factor. But I do want to rule out a mechanical issue on a new .

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, this situation seems to be happening with the 2014 RT's.

I have had it happen a few times also. Each time, it was after a shut off/quick start up. Gas fill-up. I attribute it to not letting the computer take its time in booting up. Faster than usual shifting may also cause the computer to do its thing...just to let you know who is really in charge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a Gear Position Sensor error.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Bob - I am suspicious that the speed of my up shifting might be a factor. But I do want to rule out a mechanical issue on a new .
    Absolutely!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shifting...

be safe and have it checked out. It is from the gear positioning sensor and can be caused for several reasons. They will know what to check and have you cruising smoothly soon....let us know what they find..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've had it show up several times to no detriment. Sunday I had it pop up again and my old brain is fortunate to remember the exact sequence that appeared in the gearbox position window in the digital display. I was accelerating in ECO mode, don't remember what gear but somewhere between 2,800 and 3 grand when the upshift arrow appeared followed very shortly thereafter by the big E. I simply shifted up once and motored on. I then figured the computer was telling me: "Hey, idiot, you're in ECO mode, I signaled you to shift up and you didn't so I flashed a big E at you." Anyway, it's a question for the tech at the 3K service that will come up later this month.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My SM6is giving a short E message when going into reverse and out of reverse. I think this is due to the actuator being a bit slow moving across, but it could be the gear position indicator in the early stages of dying. On my 2011 RT the GPS had to be replaced when it kept showing 1st>neutral, 1st>neutral and so on; when this happens it needs to be towed, so given your problems, it does seem that this GPS issue has carried over from previous models.

Spyder Garage

I've seen it show up on my 2014 RT-S SE6 when I'm quickly shifting on occasion, and it goes away in a few seconds at the most. I never use ECO mode.

Until the E is gone, I can't shift again. It "feels" like the sensor catching up with me, but that may not be it at all.

Spyder Garage

Default Blown Fuse

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is a Gear Position Sensor error.
    I have 2014 RT with SM6,I had the 10 amp fuse in left fuse box under Wake up TCM DPS/ Cluster blown, Bike shut down completely no dash functions at all, also the E came on in Gear Position , when checked fuse I found this fuse blown, replaced it and it popped again, ran out of 10 amp fuses so tried 15 amp fuse it started up and still runs fine,the E still comes on between shifts, have to get checked at dealer, Has anyone had this problem
    Last edited by GWCruiser; 07-01-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add info

Spyder Garage

Default Used to get the E

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    I first saw the E on my SE6 gear indicator on the first ride home from the dealer. The owners manual says it is a shift sensor error, if I recall correctly.

Didn't see it again until today, and it happened several times. Only happens when shifting up, not downshifting. When it pops up, I can't change gears until it disappears. All I can do is throttle back and wait a few seconds. I have an appointment for the dealer to troubleshoot it next week.

i was curious if anyone else has seen this? If so, what was the fix? I like to anticipate possible solutions if the dealer says they can't find a problem.

I see no other warnings or caution lights when it happens, in case anyone is wondering.
    I also had the E flash periodically from the first ride up until this past December ( just short of 2 years). The reverse actuator failed. Since replacement have not seen the E once.
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White, Mfg. date 1/28/2014
    BRP heated seat, BRP backrest, SpyderFlap, Tricled mirror turn signals, KOTT Grills, BRP adjustable side air vent, Bumpskid, Bajaron sway bar and heim links, Spyderpops belt guard, Tricled day lighters, Tricled fender LEDs, CD HMT running/brake LEDs

Spyder Garage

Default REVERSE ACTUATOR

My F3-S has been in the shop since 6/22. They finally determined that it was the reverse actuator. It wouldn't shift into first.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    My SM6is giving a short E message when going into reverse and out of reverse. I think this is due to the actuator being a bit slow moving across, but it could be the gear position indicator in the early stages of dying. On my 2011 RT the GPS had to be replaced when it kept showing 1st>neutral, 1st>neutral and so on; when this happens it needs to be towed, so given your problems, it does seem that this GPS issue has carried over from previous models.
    Ya I get the E signal now and agin when going into reverse on my Sm6. I let the clutch out a little and it pops in. Hasen't been a problem yet.