Thread: I got Nanny'd

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I got Nanny'd

I have had my Spyder for a week and I got Nanny'd for the first time on Monday. DPS warning and a check engine light came on when I was halfway to work. I limped home, as I was forced to do, and then drove my truck in to work. Wasn't sure what I did, but thanks to the posts from numerous people concerning this occurrence, I was a lot less worried. When I got home Tuesday morning, I started the Beast up and took it for a ride, with everything working great. Hard to imagine that all you have to do is let it sit for a bit and everything is cool. I put 700 miles on it during my first week and enjoyed every minute of it, except of course for the last 15 minutes on Monday. Again, thanks to all who had previously posted about this kind of trouble. You all are great people.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

to this site the spyder world and meeting nanny. Congrats on your new ryde Sorry you had this run in but it does happen. If you did something minor you can do the key walk (remove the key..walk away..return a bit later) and start her back up and ryde away. By doing this the computers reset and codes are stored. If there is a bigger problem it will not go away but you will not make things worse. Enjoy and be safe..as you get better nanny will remind you she is there by putting on the brakes and retarding the ignition if you get to wild or she thinks your loosing it... thats the killjoy nanny...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I checked for codes, and luckily there were none. Another thing I learned yesterday. Thought I had a picture up, but didn't. Now I do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The DPS warning seems to be a falsie that occurs mostly on new machines. Mine did it on my very first road trip and has never recurred since, in 22,000 miles. It just went away...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The 'Nanny' deals only in operator issues. She does not put you into limp mode. She simply slows you down to a speed and condition that she is comfortable with. Once this is accomplished, the Nanny returns complete control to the operator. Limp mode is a completely separate function dealing with a mechanical or electronic issue, not an operator issue. So you are experiencing something more than a simple 'Nanny' event.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-03-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 'Nanny' deals only in operator issues. She does not put you into limp mode. She simply slows you down to a speed and condition that she is comfortable with. Once this is accomplished, the Nanny returns complete control to the operator. Limp mode is a completely separate function dealing with a mechanical or electronic issue, not an operator issue. So you are experiencing something more than a simple 'Nanny' event.
    I got my 2014 RTS to kick its "nanny" several times when I was 2 up and hit the S turns hard.I never had a limp mode or DPS/check engine light go on.Sounds like some other issue

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

I am with Bajaron on this one. You did did not experience an intervention of the Nanny. The Nanny is traction control, vehicle stability control and anti lock brakes combined. If you do something while driving that may get you into trouble, the nanny steps in by limiting engine power and/or applying or releasing one or more of the three brakes to try to get you back in control.

What you experienced is a detected fault. You need to tell your dealer at the next service what you experienced. They can retrieve the code(s) and possibly explained what happened.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Installed the BAJARON stabilizer bar yesterday. Test ride today. My gawd, that nanny got in my business way too many times. Has anyone figured out how to shut her down?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Me Too

I had the limp mode come on the other day at 65 MPH and I think the code was P0010. Anyway I pulled over did the walk away thing and two miles later it did the same thing. So I did the walk away again but there was no code this time. Since then it's been running fine with a slight drop in MPG. A dealer contact (by phone) revealed no clue. Any ideas on what's going on? A 14RTS with 4,700 miles, thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Installed the BAJARON stabilizer bar yesterday. Test ride today. My gawd, that nanny got in my business way too many times. Has anyone figured out how to shut her down?
    No, but I would be all over any sort of hack to reduce the nanny's thresholds!! I have been surfing all over the Internet trying to find something, can't find a thing. BRP has the computer system locked up tight.
    Last edited by RandyL; 12-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    No, but I would all over any sort of hack to reduce the nanny's thresholds!! I have been surfing all over the Internet trying to find something, can find a thing. BRP has the computer system locked up tight.
    So it's not true since you didn't read it on the internet?....[emoji23]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    So it's not true since you didn't read it on the internet?....[emoji23]
    Of course not, my apologies for that inference. I have found nothing online, nothing from anyone in person either. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I haven't found anything yet.

Do you know of some way to change nanny settings DrewNJ, or are you just hassling me?
    Last edited by RandyL; 12-08-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white