Spyder Garage

Default electrical difficulties

Hey All

I really hope i can find some help or someone who has had the same problems,
    started about a month ago with me getting on my bike and starting, which of course happened only it did not shift automatically out of gear into neutral, like it normally does when it did start it took a second or two and eventually did go into neutral from alone but not without jeerking forward, now we have been messing around with the battery because this is an error that my mechanic came up with that the voltage was dropping to low during starting and causing electrical circuits to fail, now the other day i was out for a ride and it seemed to react normal only when i stopped a half hour later and shut the machine off i got a rather loud tapping noise from behind the cluster 3 times and then when trying to restart the machine after turning the key the cluster stays blank for a minute and then came back to life and of course started without a problem.

i know this looks like a lot of problems at one time but this has all happened in such a short time that we were not even sure that we corrected the initial probnlem yet and still are not

I
    hope that no one out there has had these similar type of problems but if so i would be very happy for any feed back that i can forward to my trusted dealer of choice with whom by the way i am extremely happy with he gives his best effort and is always freindly no matter what the situation

respectfully

Fuller, Harrison

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi,
    First of all; what year bike do you have?
    (Trying to figure out how old the battery is...)
    If the battery itself is okay; the connections to it might just need some cleaning...
    Another possibility: the oil level. The SE-5 transmissions are VERY sensitive to proper oil levels. If it gets a little bit low; they'll often manifest it with shifting problems.
    In the meantime; leave your bike in neutral when you shut it down...
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default thanksfor the info any other help is also welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi,
    First of all; what year bike do you have?
    (Trying to figure out how old the battery is...)
    If the battery itself is okay; the connections to it might just need some cleaning...
    Another possibility: the oil level. The SE-5 transmissions are VERY sensitive to proper oil levels. If it gets a little bit low; they'll often manifest it with shifting problems.
    In the meantime; leave your bike in neutral when you shut it down...
    Good luck!

thanks for the info of course that is what i have been doing since the Problem accured and still is accuring the bike is a 2011 rss se5 and the battery is now brand new well charged and Holding that was one of the first things i checked along with all of the Levels and relays and fuses

respectfully

Fuller, Harrison

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the battery could have been the issue but the only parts affected by a drop in starting is the dps (not in use at the time) and the starter. If the drop is more than a few volt you would be getting a clicking from the starter but no cranking. Other culprits are the gear positioning sensor, shifting linkage, shift actuator and clutch. The oil levels and condition are vital on the se models. Changing oil and filters as well as checking the tank screen keep the clutch and shifting working smoothly. You have checked oil and have a new battery so thats done...if you had sounds coming from behind the cluster it is worth looking under for any loose connections. If your mechanic can't find the problem check with another shop...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Within the last few days, someone with similar problems posted that the dealer finally found the glitch. It was a bad spark plug wire that was shorting.

Might be worth checking out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fullerhf View Post
    thanks for the info of course that is what i have been doing since the Problem accured and still is accuring the bike is a 2011 rss se5 and the battery is now brand new well charged and Holding that was one of the first things i checked along with all of the Levels and relays and fuses

respectfully

Fuller, Harrison
    I am having the same problem with my 2011 RS-S SE5 for over 2 months. I had my Spyder a the dealer from the 9/30/2014 to 11/29/2014 to get fixed under my warranty. BRP instructed the tech to install a TCM module 1 week to get the part from Canada, the part failed, about 1 more week, that failed, then BRP said try a GPS sensor that failed a few times a few more weeks and that didn't work, BRP then told the tech to check the wiring that didn't help, then they put a new shifter switches on another week or more has gone by. The dealer called a said I was fixed I went and picket it up and trailered it home. Today I unloaded it and it failed again so back to the dealer it goes.

Mike

Mike