Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for Opinions on a Hitch

Hi all, hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
    We are in the market for a hitch and thought I would ask what everyone uses and why, be it a BRP or aftermarket.
    Thanks for all the replies, Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

BRP
    Easy to install
    Won't void warranty.
    Oh and it's the Best!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BRP hitch also, because of the ease of installation.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

BRP - easy on & easy off, plus it has a built in mud flap. Watch for a used one.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OR THIS

Really not difficult to make sooooooooo that's what I've done .....This is the third one ( a GS , an RSS & an RT ) , I modeled it after the BRP hitch .....bolt thru the AXEL. The trick to fabricating the HOOP is to make partial depth cuts in the strap where you are going to bend it ......Then when you make the bend it's perfectly straight and exactly where you want it......then you just run a bead down the cut.........I then put some small ( 1 " pieces ) inside the bends and weld both sides ( I forget the technical term for this ) ( Gusseting ? )....But it makes it extremely strong.........I also make my own HARNESS a 5 to 5 arraignment......( my trailer lights have separate LED brake and tail lites ) ....Total cost for this Metal, Wiring , Tailites etc. $ 50.00................I love saving money .........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-01-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, design us an easily removable hitch! Something that comes off pretty much completely with a pull of a pin or 2.
    Many of us would love to have the ability to tow a trailer a handful of times a year, but don't want the ugly ball and bracket back there the other 99% of the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP hitch might be more expensive ...

.. But what is "Peace of Mind"; worth to you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default PULL PIN ?????

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mike, design us an easily removable hitch! Something that comes off pretty much completely with a pull of a pin or 2.
    Many of us would love to have the ability to tow a trailer a handful of times a year, but don't want the ugly ball and bracket back there the other 99% of the time.
    ,.....Drew, I don't think you would really want one done that way. The one I have has two independent plates on either side of the swing arm.....these are held onto the swing arm with a 14 inch bolt that goes thru the OEM axel ( same as BRP design ) then a NYLOK nut is put on with 10 lbs torque to keep the plates tight.......then the HOOP is bolted to the PLATES on the swing arm...................When not using the HITCH, I only remove the TOW bracket from the HOOP .....because it makes a great BUMPER....way better than the fender or side bags !!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think the hitch is the issue when choosing BRP or something else. It's the wiring harness that's important to me. Since I don't do my own mechanics, I just got the BRP product and moved it from my old RT to my new one. I just hope they don't change it so I can keep using it later.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The BRP hitch might be more expensive ...

.. But what is "Peace of Mind"; worth to you?
    ....Well Bob, you weren't able to attend SPYDERQUEST 2014 so you didn't get to see mine up close and personal.......Had you done so I think you would have agreed with many others there who thought it actually looked better thought out than the OEM one..........One reason being my bolt is SELF - LOCKING at one end .........And even you would agree that the mark-up on all items varies by wide margins ......just because you paid 3 X 's as much doesn't mean it's worth 3 X 's as much ??????.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    You're right; I haven't looked at your hitch...

...That's why I wasn't discussing it.
    If you prefer...
    When compared to the various aftermarket hitches often seen on EBay...
    yada, yada, yada...

Patti's right; the electrical part of the package is probably the most important part of the deal...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default BRP WIRING HARNESS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mike,
    You're right; I haven't looked at your hitch...

...That's why I wasn't discussing it.
    If you prefer...
    When compared to the various aftermarket hitches often seen on EBay...
    yada, yada, yada...

Patti's right; the electrical part of the package is probably the most important part of the deal...
    .......Well maybe, the wiring H. and the metal Hitch are two separate things ......You don't need use both or actually either .....and I don't " physically " make my wiring Harness .....I buy a commercial 5 wire set-up.....and use an LED tailight that has separate Stop, Running, Turn, signals WITH Back-up lights .....so it's a direct connect to the OEM harness without any converters etc.........................It's the same as if you want a third Brake light , you tap into the Brake circuit with an LED strip........No converter needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Interesting... Wouldn't mind seeing a pic if you'd want to post some.
    My initial thought was basically 2 small receivers. Each permanently mounted to either side of the swing arm. Then a U shaped drawbar/ball to connect the two sides???? Just brainstorming a bit...

Spyder Garage

Default 2 SMALL RECEIVERS ????

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mike, Interesting... Wouldn't mind seeing a pic if you'd want to post some.
    My initial thought was basically 2 small receivers. Each permanently mounted to either side of the swing arm. Then a U shaped drawbar/ball to connect the two sides???? Just brainstorming a bit...
    ...........................Drew, going back to my first reply to you on this ......are what you are calling ...RECEIVERS....what I called ....PLATES.....If they are I see no advantage to permanently mounting them !!!!.........On my HITCH....You take off ONE nut ( plus remove wiring plug ) slide out the BOLT and the ENTIRE thing comes off ...............I can't think of any way this can be easier..................The 14 " Bolt could be drilled for a lock pin But it wouldn't hold the plates tight.....big mistake IMHO Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-02-2014 at 12:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice! Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Sorry I didn't respond to anyone, I was out of town on business. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I'm thinking of going with the BRP one and only for the warranty issues that may come up. One never knows. The price is a little bit steep thought, but that is my opinion. Have a safe and Merry Christmas everyone, Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default Just be aware . . .

The use of any other hitch than the BRP one will almost certainly cancel the warranty on certain drive train and suspension components. The manufacturer has stated as much in their sales literature and they have some valid engineering reasons for doing so. In this case the Magnuson-Moss Act does not apply.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;908878],.....Drew, I don't think you would really want one done that way. The one I have has two independent plates on either side of the swing arm.....these are held onto the swing arm with a 14 inch bolt that goes thru the OEM axel ( same as BRP design ) then a NYLOK nut is put on with 10 lbs torque to keep the plates tight.......then the HOOP is bolted to the PLATES on the swing arm...................When not using the HITCH, I only remove the TOW bracket from the HOOP .....because it makes a great BUMPER....way better than the fender or side bags !!!!! [/QUOTE

Mike I remember from your previous post that you don't do pictures or other "technical" things. It sure would be great and very helpful for those of us with similar feelings about the high price of purchasing desired items for our bikes if you could have your better half get some good detailed pictures of what you have described and post them here on line. What do ya say??? Here's thanking you in advance of your efforts for the rest of us
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default JUST SAYIN

[QUOTE=Art Mann;910905]The use of any other hitch than the BRP one will almost certainly cancel the warranty on certain drive train and suspension components. The manufacturer has stated as much in their sales literature and they have some valid engineering reasons for doing so. In this case the Magnuson-Moss Act does not apply.[/QUOTE..................Art ....The plain truth here is , this is a SCARE tactic used by BRP and a lot of other manufacturers to get the consumer to BUY their over-priced PARTS.................If what you THINK is true about BRP voiding your Warranty because you use other than a BRP hitch..............Well then this must also be ......85 % of ALL Spyders sold will have their warranties voided because they have but unapproved "FARKLES " on their Spyders......if you believe this ....I have a nice bridge I want to sell you .........I'm not being mean or nasty here , but you need to read the " MAGNUSSON-MOSS " Act a little more closely........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default HITCH PICTORIAL

[QUOTE=IGETAROUND;910911]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ,.....Drew, I don't think you would really want one done that way. The one I have has two independent plates on either side of the swing arm.....these are held onto the swing arm with a 14 inch bolt that goes thru the OEM axel ( same as BRP design ) then a NYLOK nut is put on with 10 lbs torque to keep the plates tight.......then the HOOP is bolted to the PLATES on the swing arm...................When not using the HITCH, I only remove the TOW bracket from the HOOP .....because it makes a great BUMPER....way better than the fender or side bags !!!!! [/QUOTE

Mike I remember from your previous post that you don't do pictures or other "technical" things. It sure would be great and very helpful for those of us with similar feelings about the high price of purchasing desired items for our bikes if you could have your better half get some good detailed pictures of what you have described and post them here on line. What do ya say??? Here's thanking you in advance of your efforts for the rest of us
    ................Actually I have a bunch of pictures of my latest HITCH build ....which will show ...start to finish , step by step ,..... How I do it ............This Hitch has actually towed my Toyota Echo ( 3000 lbs. ) a short distance......I need to get some final pics done , then Dee will Post them....SOON......Mike

Spyder Garage

I look forward to your upcoming revelations
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;910936]
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The use of any other hitch than the BRP one will almost certainly cancel the warranty on certain drive train and suspension components. The manufacturer has stated as much in their sales literature and they have some valid engineering reasons for doing so. In this case the Magnuson-Moss Act does not apply.[/QUOTE..................Art ....The plain truth here is , this is a SCARE tactic used by BRP and a lot of other manufacturers to get the consumer to BUY their over-priced PARTS.................If what you THINK is true about BRP voiding your Warranty because you use other than a BRP hitch..............Well then this must also be ......85 % of ALL Spyders sold will have their warranties voided because they have but unapproved "FARKLES " on their Spyders......if you believe this ....I have a nice bridge I want to sell you .........I'm not being mean or nasty here , but you need to read the " MAGNUSSON-MOSS " Act a little more closely........Mike
    A trailer hitch is not an appearance item nor is it a consumable item. It is a modification to the mechanical properties of the vehicle. The manufacturer puts their requirement in writing on the sales literature. Have you ever been involved as a professional engineer in litigation between a vehicle manufacturer and a vehicle owner who was denied warranty service for questionable modifications? I have. When I say that BRP, or any other manufacturer, has a right to restrict what mechanical or structural changes are made to their vehicles for safety or reliability reasons, I know what I am talking about. This isn't a Magnuson-Moss issue and the hitch is not what I would call a farkle. It is easily (and correctly) classified as a safety and/or structural modification.

It might be possible for an after market company to sell a hitch that matched the mechanical properties of the genuine article. If that happened, then a customer with a broken hitch or suspension might have a legal leg to stand on. From what I have seen so far, the Can Am hitch is unique in that it is unsprung weight on the suspension. I can't figure why they did it that way, but you can bet they didn't just choose that method at random.

I owned Goldwings for many years and frequently pulled a trailer. I did the hitch installation knowing full well that what I was doing could compromise some parts of the new vehicle warranty. Even the hitch manufacturer's installer (Bushtec) admitted that. I actually pulled a trailer and knew that could also compromise certain parts of the warranty. That is just a risk you take when you make unauthorized or (in this case) prohibited mechanical changes or use the vehicle in ways other than what the manufacturer designed it for.

I did take the time to investigate pulling another brand of trailer than Can Am since I own one. The dealer, in fact, said only the BRP trailer is permitted. I noticed that the BRP documentation didn't say anything about trailer brand although they did specify overall and tongue weight. I had the dealer call Can Am technical support right there on the spot and they confirmed what I thought that reasonable substitutes for the Can Am trailer are not prohibited.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default NON-FARKLES

[QUOTE=Art Mann;911029]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

A trailer hitch is not an appearance item nor is it a consumable item. It is a modification to the structure of the vehicle. Have you ever been involved as a professional engineer in litigation between a vehicle manufacturer and a vehicle owner who was denied warranty service? I have. When I say that BRP, or any other manufacturer, has a right to restrict what mechanical or structural changes are made to their vehicles for safety or reliability reasons, I know what I am talking about. This isn't a Magnuson-Moss issue and the hitch is not what I would call a farkle. It is easily (and correctly) classified as a safety and/or structural modification.

I owned Goldwings for many years and frequently pulled a trailer. I did the hitch installation knowing full well that what I was doing would compromise some parts of the new vehicle warranty. Even the hitch manufacturer (Bushtec) admitted that.
    .....................Yes Art you are an engineer.......an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER.!!!!!.....I used the term " FARKLES " because that covers everything.......The lawyers at BRP have worded the WARRANTY to include ANYTHING not approved by BRP as a warranty VOIDING ITEM.......so if you have put just about anything from BAJARON on your Spyder like ...sway bar, heim links , brake rotors , brake pads , plug wires etc.....BRP says ...Warranty VOIDED....( I'm not picking on you Ron ) ....How many Spyders out there no longer have " KENDA " tires on their Spyders .....Warranty VOIDED......So Art I hope your Spyder is pure as the driven snow and I hope you have not been putting any NONE BRP Dealer supplied air in those Crapenda tires because otherwise .....WARRANTY VOIDED.............As far as I'm concerned I'll let intelligence be my guide and do what I think is best........which does not include adding a TURBO .....Mike

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ABQSpyder;908802]BRP
    Easy to install
    Won't void warranty.
    Oh and it's the Best![/QUOT
    Regarding whether our warranties would be voided if a non-BRP hitch was installed, I wonder if it's true. In the 2015 parts and accessories catalog, page 101, it states, "Only SYSTEM on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements." Similarly, on page 72 of the 2014 BRP catalog it says, "This is the only hitch SYSTEM that maintains your vehicle's warranty." (emphasis added). If an aftermarket hitch mounts the same as BRP's, wouldn't the warranty requirements be met? Anyway, I just had a BRP hitch installed although I don't yet own a trailer. I'm looking into buying one, but it will not be BRP's. They're drastically over-priced and it's not necessary for me to have a trailer that matches my RTS.

Spyder Garage

Default WELL.WELL.WELL

[QUOTE=stillriding;911097][QUOTE=ABQSpyder;908802]BRP
    Easy to install
    Won't void warranty.
    Oh and it's the Best![/QUOT
    Regarding whether our warranties would be voided if a non-BRP hitch was installed, I wonder if it's true. In the 2015 parts and accessories catalog, page 101, it states, "Only SYSTEM on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements." Similarly, on page 72 of the 2014 BRP catalog it says, "This is the only hitch SYSTEM that maintains your vehicle's warranty." (emphasis added). If an aftermarket hitch mounts the same as BRP's, wouldn't the warranty requirements be met? Anyway, I just had a BRP hitch installed although I don't yet own a trailer. I'm looking into buying one, but it will not be BRP's. They're drastically over-priced and it's not necessary for me to have a trailer that matches my RTS.......................
    ...........Well ABQ, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news. Buuuuuuuuut according to Mr. Mann a NONE BRP trailer would also VOID the Warranty..................Personally I think this is B.S. because there are literally Hundreds of different things people have done to and for their Spyders that according to Mr. Mann and BRP has now VOIDED their Warranties......................I don't think any of them care ..........................just sayin.....Mike