Spyder Garage

Default The end to PC5 programmer

I read this and wanted to share. The Government is contemplating ending any ECU mod systems.

http://autos.aol.com/article/will-co...6pLid%3D572844
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

ridiculous
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Ditto

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly..!!

the beginnig of the end...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I read this and wanted to share. The Government is contemplating ending any ECU mod systems.

http://autos.aol.com/article/will-co...6pLid%3D572844
    A modification such as adding a tuner for a new FI map typically makes the vehicle run better. I know that for my Chevy SS, there are tuners out there that could have an impact on reliability due to quicker transmission shifts. What I don't understand is if it is a real problem, then just void the warranty on the affected parts - which they already do. So why is that not enough?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Another way for Big Brother to control your life.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    This doesn't apply to the piggyback type systems (pcv and the like). Those systems do not change or alter the existing ecu and have nothing to do with the OEM code they are claiming to protect. The ones that will be affected are the reflash systems where the data on the existing chip is re-written using the same code (altered) or the chip in the existing ecu is swapped out completely. (Altered chip, same code).

IMHO - Reflashing is SO much better, it will be a shame if we see it go away....
    BRP has always been pretty tight lipped about their ecu code. Its the main reason most performance gurus end up going with a completely stand alone ecu like a motec in the jetskis world.
    I have to disagree Drew the PC5 is nothing more than added memory+ ECU interface and it does change the code(telematics) the engine runs on. It is a modification to the ECU that boosts engine performance. What will be the effect of the possible law? Total voiding of engine warranty?

"Both professional mechanics and everyday hobbyists increasingly need electronic access and expertise in ECUs and the software that runs them.

One activity, for example, that falls into a gray area under the DMCA law would be modifying an ECU in a manner that boosts engine performance or, conversely, fuel economy. Another questionable activity may be using extra memory on an ECU to create or customize a specific feature in a car's telematics unit."
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Much of this has already happened in the UK....or is on the way. Big Brother is happening!
    If you modify almost anything to improve performance or handling those mods MUST be declared to your
    insurance company. They will increase the premium if your exhaust adds 6% or more to the power (bhp).
    The same goes for wheels and tyres, brakes (!), lights, ECU, transmission and engine. Your insurance will be
    void if you're involved in an accident and vehicle inspectors find any undeclared performance mods on your
    bike, car, van, truck or trike.
    One guy even had his premium increased because he added.....racing stripes!!
    The good thing about owning a Spyder is that they're so rare the police and insurance inspectors
    don't always know which bits have been added and which are OEM!

TRIVIA: The UK has more official CCTV per head of population than any other country in the world!
    George Orwell was right!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Much of this has already happened in the UK....or is on the way. Big Brother is happening!
    If you modify almost anything to improve performance or handling those mods MUST be declared to your
    insurance company. They will increase the premium if your exhaust adds 6% or more to the power (bhp).
    The same goes for wheels and tyres, brakes (!), lights, ECU, transmission and engine. Your insurance will be
    void if you're involved in an accident and vehicle inspectors find any undeclared performance mods on your
    bike, car, van, truck or trike.
    One guy even had his premium increased because he added.....racing stripes!!
    The good thing about owning a Spyder is that they're so rare the police and insurance inspectors
    don't always know which bits have been added and which are OEM!

TRIVIA: The UK has more official CCTV per head of population than any other country in the world!
    George Orwell was right!!

But OJ,

That's for your 'SECURITY' 'sarcasm font off'

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    But OJ,

That's for your 'SECURITY' 'sarcasm font off'
    They're watching...

Is It Safe Yet.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-01-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Yes, there is a difference. As DrewNJ stated, the PCV just adds or takes away from the stock ECM. The PCV sits between the ECM and the fuel injectors and just tweaks things on the fly.

For my Chevy SS I am also looking to add a tuner. Those tuners not only reflash the stock ECM, but they also take control of other parts of the car. One that I already pointed out is the shifting points. You can tune it for quicker shifting and at whatever RPM you want.

It is for this type of change that I think the manufacturers should just void a warranty and leave it at that. I know that on Chevrolet's performance cars, since 2008, they know if the car has been flashed even if you put it back to stock in the event something does happen. There is no hiding it.

Spyder Garage

They are referring to products like hyper tech or bully dog that pull the existing programming and install a premade program or custom. This really is not new the dealers fight this all the time and we can down load if the programming has been altered. Warranty can be void if tamper with the main computer programming and it causes a failure. Deal with this with the diesel truck guys alot. Even seen recently the emission components pulled off the new trucks.

The piggy back systems that we get change the configuring on the end to adjust fuel. Gets a reference from the O2 sensors and fools the computer to think the system is running little lean so it adjusts fuel mixture. I haven't read if it does anything with ignition timing but I doubt they get into that.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links