Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 331 Mile F3 Test Ryde

On Thanksgiving Day I took a 331 mile F3 Test Ryde compliments of Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee, Fl. It was an incredible way to spend the holiday. For those who wish to see my full trip report/evaluation click on the following link
    http://www.usspyderryders.com/blog/2...-day-test-ryde

Dec 1st I rode the F3 an additional 93 miles and updated my blog for some additional observations. You may wish to look at the link again to get the full report Ryde Safe
    Last edited by BikerDoc; 12-01-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Thank-You

That was one of the best demo ride reports yet. Hopefully another demo rider will do a You-Tube video of his F3 ride sometime soon. I like these videos taken from the rider perspective and get a lot from watching & listening to their comments. Your's was well written though and appreciated.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good right up and I am liking the F3 more and more, just will not get rid of my RTS and can't bring myself to
    part with my Honda 1800N (the beast) so may be some time in the future it may be my next bike.
    Thanks for your right up and thoughts on a great new machine. I got to test ride one in Daytona and was very
    impressed with it also, just didn't get to ride as far as you did.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Doc!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Nice write up, thank you

(keeping my 2014 RTS)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Ditto from my review...power is crazy fun. Like your comment on a windshield. I just couldn't remember the wind issue during my ride. May have to look more into that as I will be using the Magna 9 from Bell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Nice write up, thank you

(keeping my 2014 RTS)

Cruzr Joe
    so am I, The F3 is an add on. The RTL and trailer will still be with us for long distance rides
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Great Review thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    so am I, The F3 is an add on. The RTL and trailer will still be with us for long distance rides
    Great review! I had a much shorter demo ride but I agree with many things you said. Especially the windshield! What did you think about the stock seat. I was on an F3-S and I thought the seat was extremely comfortable. I agree about buying both backrest but I had originally thought I may also need the cannonball seat based on the comfort of the stock seat on previous spyders but I'm not so sure it is needed. I will definitely not buy it up front and try the stock for awhile. My only concern is storage as I plan on doing at least a couple of 1500 mile trips per year but I'm sure that can be solved easily. I'm on an 09 GS now and the smoothness of the ride compared to my bike was unbelievable. Spyders sure have came along way in a few short years. I love the F-3!!
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

now thats a test ryde...a bit more and it will be broke in..!! thanks..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc,
    Is CFPS going to hire you on, as the guy who delivers bikes as pre-broke-in?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Great review! I had a much shorter demo ride but I agree with many things you said. Especially the windshield! What did you think about the stock seat. I was on an F3-S and I thought the seat was extremely comfortable. I agree about buying both backrest but I had originally thought I may also need the cannonball seat based on the comfort of the stock seat on previous spyders but I'm not so sure it is needed. I will definitely not buy it up front and try the stock for awhile. My only concern is storage as I plan on doing at least a couple of 1500 mile trips per year but I'm sure that can be solved easily. I'm on an 09 GS now and the smoothness of the ride compared to my bike was unbelievable. Spyders sure have came along way in a few short years. I love the F-3!!
    I think the stock seat is quite comfortable compared to any standard Spyder seat I have ridden before. I did not order the cannonball seat and the only reason I ordered the backrests was for extra support against the torque (the deep cut of the seat actually supported my lower back fairly well)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    On Thanksgiving Day I took a 331 mile F3 Test Ryde compliments of Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee, Fl. It was an incredible way to spend the holiday. For those who wish to see my full trip report/evaluation click on the following link
    Nice write-up Doc. But I will keep my 2014 RTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can somebody summarize the F3 for me? Lots of raves but I'm not clear why it's so much better than the previous Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Nice review.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Can somebody summarize the F3 for me? Lots of raves but I'm not clear why it's so much better than the previous Spyders.
    I think the biggest and most significant difference to me was the fact that you are sitting lower and "in" the spyder instead of "on" the spyder. It allows you to take corners without the feeling that you have to counter the force pulling you away from the curve. Now you are a part of the spyder and simply follow it through the curve, if that makes and sense. I've only ridden an RT a very short distance but comparing it to the RS and ST it is a much smoother ride with more power and torque. I also like the fact that the motor runs at a lower RPM at cruising speed. That's just my take on it for whatever it is worth.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

A good review. Thanks for posting Doc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review. Tell more about the "linkages" you'd buy for ufit. Can't the fit be adjusted without buying something more?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Thanks for the review. Tell more about the "linkages" you'd buy for ufit. Can't the fit be adjusted without buying something more?
    Patti when I looked at the F3 at the Seattle international motorcycle show and talked to the BRP guys yes you have to buy different linkages for the Brake pedal on the se6 at 29.99 each or the sm6 you will need one for the brake and the shifter at 49.99 also each different handle bar set is 449.99 each. you would only need to buy these if you want to change your riding position after the initial set up.
    it will be interesting to hear the people gripe about not getting the set up that fits them right the first time and having to purchase different linkages and handle bars at a fair amount of cost. hopefully the dealers/BRP will be willing to work with people to get it right up till say 2K miles at no extra cost, but some how I doubt it cause as soon as you drive it off the lot it is now used and I know that I wouldn't want them putting some one else's used parts on my new machine at least until I wanted to do the swap thing and not have it cost anything I guess we shall see!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    If one chooses to move the pegs (or floorboards) to different positions, specific length linkages must be used to also move the brake pedal and/or gear shifter. It's too bad they didn't just design the linkages to be adjustable. On a surprising mote, the linkages are not very expensive!!
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    If one chooses to move the pegs (or floorboards) to different positions, specific length linkages must be used to also move the brake pedal and/or gear shifter. It's too bad they didn't just design the linkages to be adjustable. On a surprising mote, the linkages are not very expensive!!
    The linkages are relatively cheap but the handle bars aren't they run 449.99 for chrome I think the carbon black are only 149.99 if I am reading it right in the new catalog.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    The linkages are relatively cheap but the handle bars aren't they run 449.99 for chrome I think the carbon black are only 149.99 if I am reading it right in the new catalog.
    I think you are correct on pricing however I was under the impression that if you made any change from the stock position it comes with from the factory you have to purchase the linkage or handlebar. Are you saying there is no charge for the initial setup no matter what the position?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    I think you are correct on pricing however I was under the impression that if you made any change from the stock position it comes with from the factory you have to purchase the linkage or handlebar. Are you saying there is no charge for the initial setup no matter what the position?
    Gosh I don't know for sure I would like to think that you can get it adjusted initially at no extra cost thus the whole Idea of the U-fit system.
    I didn't get too specific with BRP guys as I haven't decided to order one I am a little once bitten twice shy with the 2013 STL as much as I love my spyder I am a little apprehensive about buying a first year model again.
    I do really want to test ride an F3 that won't be happening until February when my dealer gets their shipments.

Spyder Garage

Great writeup!

Spyder Garage

Today I rode the F3 an additional 93 miles bringing my total test ryde to 424 miles. I made some new observations on my blog. you may wish to click on the link again to get the latest tidbits in what I hope is now a full report.