Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the additional update.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

did you talk to the driver of the slingshot after your ride? what did they think of you honking at them in corners?
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Makes Me Think...

Yeah, a windshield and a passenger backrest would definitely come first as must haves. Saddlebags as well but maybe somebody will make a luggage rack that will accept a nice sized trunk/topcase that would have a passenger backrest built into it. I mean one big enough for a full face helmet at least. Givi comes to mind as well as others like Hepco & Becker. Corbin is usually very expensive and styled a bit over the top for my taste.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I'd get a windshield & backrest anyway, but don't you suppose you'd get used to rolling on more carefully if the acceleration is that powerful? Or learn to lean forward when you're about to roll on.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The front trunk not accepting a full face helmet is an epic fail. Why is the acceleration so good? I thought this was the same old 1330 engine.

Spyder Garage

Gearing.... I suspect the milage will suffer a bit too
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Short gearing will do that. Do those tiny accessory windshields provide much wind protection for the chest and hands? Looks like little protection for the legs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    The front trunk not accepting a full face helmet is an epic fail. Why is the acceleration so good? I thought this was the same old 1330 engine.
    Gearing and 160 pound diet

Spyder Garage

Default Half Helmets

Or shorty helmets as they are sometimes called is what I wear. That little frunk might be able to hold one who knows? Shorty helmets also like windshields as I've demoed open bikes on windy days where it felt like the blast was trying to tear the helmet off. Open bikes cause me a sore neck mostly.

Spyder Garage

In addition to gearing, it weighs 180 pounds less and most importantly its profile through the wind is about half of the RT. When you drive and RT forward its similar to trying to push a large wall up the highway... The F3 is low and lean - much better aerodynamics
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Short gearing will do that. Do those tiny accessory windshields provide much wind protection for the chest and hands? Looks like little protection for the legs.
    My comment was that I felt like I had an anvil on my chest, and my buddy who also test rode 300 miles said he felt like he had a elephant on his chest.. SO CHEST AREA PROTECTION IS THE KEY FOR ME. I think the two larger windshields will do the trick.. I ordered the Route 66
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    In addition to gearing, it weighs 180 pounds less and most importantly its profile through the wind is about half of the RT. When you drive and RT forward its similar to trying to push a large wall up the highway... The F3 is low and lean - much better aerodynamics
    I haven't weighed either so I can't be positive but the service manual says my 2010 base RT weighs 882 pounds, a difference of only 52 pounds more than the F3. As far as aerodynamics, my guess is that the biggest difference is the windshield and I'll trade the wind protection and comfort for the speed and gas mileage any day. But that's just me.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I haven't weighed either so I can't be positive but the service manual says my 2010 base RT weighs 882 pounds, a difference of only 52 pounds more than the F3. As far as aerodynamics, my guess is that the biggest difference is the windshield and I'll trade the wind protection and comfort for the speed and gas mileage any day. But that's just me.

Cotton
    The 2014 RT with the 1330 weighs well over 1000 pounds- Spyder have put on weight.......

Spyder Garage

I hardly felt any wind on my legs when I rode last Friday. You actually do have great coverage because of the way the body is shaped in front of you bit pretty much covers you and there are deflectors located on the frame just in front of the foot pegs. I was pleasantly surprised! As far the windshields I will get the Route 66. It appears short for a "tall" windshield but you have to factor in that you are sitting much lower on the F3 than other spyders. I have not rode with a windshield but would love to before I purchase one but this is my logical observation I came up with.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

All of this talk about how fast the F3 accelerates has me confused. It's an 850 lb machine with 115 hp and 96 tq. BRP claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That puts it's acceleration on par (or slower) than large V-twin cruisers like H-D, Victory and Indian. Very few people would consider any of those "fast" machines. That's also in the realm of many sports sedans. I think we've gotten a little carried away with our first impressions here. My wife will have hers next month and I'll post back if I need to admit I'm wrong.....
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Default Large V-Twins

I'm riding a Victory Cross Country (1734cc) with Stage One and previously had a Triumph Rocket III Touring (Inline Triple @ 2297cc) which was the strongest accelerating cruiser I ever had. I had a Yamaha Star Roadliner 1900 (1858cc) prior to that which was pretty quick too. I don't think there will be anything hairy or scary about the F3 in terms of acceleration. At least to me anyhow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    All of this talk about how fast the F3 accelerates has me confused. It's an 850 lb machine with 115 hp and 96 tq. BRP claims 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. That puts it's acceleration on par (or slower) than large V-twin cruisers like H-D, Victory and Indian. Very few people would consider any of those "fast" machines. That's also in the realm of many sports sedans. I think we've gotten a little carried away with our first impressions here. My wife will have hers next month and I'll post back if I need to admit I'm wrong.....
    So; you haven't even ridden one yet, and you STILL feel prepared to talk about how it accelerates?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So; you haven't even ridden one yet, and you STILL feel prepared to talk about how it accelerates?
    Until the F3's are widely available to ride, I think it's legitimate to consider their performance based on numbers. Numbers don't mean everything but they are a good starting point. Personally, I don't see them as being hot-rods, either. BRP claims 0 - 60 times of 4.8 seconds for the F3 but they claimed 0 - 60 times of 4.5 seconds for the '08 and '09 GS/RS's. So, according to BRP's own numbers, the RS's are still the hot-rods in the stable. There are a lot of things that are desirable about the F3 depending on your taste, for me I love the looks of it. I just don't see it as being a hot-rod.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I didn't intend for this to be at all negative concerning the F3. I am actually eagerly anticipating it's arrival at our house. (I never warmed up to the RT even though my wife loves it) I'm just amused at reading how quick some feel a 4.8 second 0-60 feels. You don't hear people with mid 4 second cruisers (typical) worrying about needing a backrest to stay on the bikes! With all the turbo sedans on the market now, sub 5 second cars are at every stoplight. We are really looking forward to the increased performance over the non-Ace RTs, however.
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
    I believe the acceleration comparison is with other Spyders not two-wheelers, a similarly powered bike is always going to be quicker than a trike.
    ......There are no figures for standing quarters yet which is hardly surprising as no-one yet owns an F3. When you are sitting that low down rather
    than the higher position of the RT/RS the perception of speed is greater.
    I also believe that Lamont reckons that the 4.8 sec. 0-60 might be a bit conservative. By the time that SpyderFest arrives there'll be quite a few riders
    who will be able to confirm their findings. I might even have ridden mine enough to pass an opinion.

Spyder Garage

Default Power to Weight

I agree that a two wheel motorcycle that might weigh 100 pounds or more less with the same horsepower & torque will indeed sprint a good deal quicker. Power to weight ratios are the biggest reason for a vehicle's quickness or slowness. Gearing and traction are important for getting "out of the hole" while aerodynamics becomes huge at speed. A two wheel motorcycle has a much narrower profile as well as a weight advantage. But that's not really what makes the Spyder so special as it's a different animal, apples & oranges so-to-speak.

Spyder Garage

Fast n quick are two measurements that are different and yet both relative to how fast or quick you've been on something else... I've been on a race track in cars on motorcycles on pavement as well as off-road.. I've been over 180 mph on a motorcycle and almost 160 in a car so speaking for myself,, I think I have a pretty good sense of what fast / quick is.. Having said that,, the modifications I made to my 13 RTS made me happy ,, but I'm moving to an F3 because I think I'll be happier 😎 given the fact it's so much lighter n more nimble than what I currently ride.. I think I'll be quite satisfied = fast n quick enough for me 😃

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the F3 is going to be a success!