Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Any Ham Radio Operators Own Spyders?

Hi All,
    Just wondering if any of you are Ham Radio Operators? My Wife, Son and I are. Do any of you have your ham radio portable, VHF/UHF connected to the spyders audio system?

Take Care,
    Louie KA2PFL
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

there are a few if i remember correctly
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

My dad was a HAM, WA9JZK, but he died in 1981. Brings back memories.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

KB0XR-licensed first in 1959. I have a hand held in the trunk. Too busy avoiding traffic to talk on it. If I had something external on the Spyder, it would be stolen the minute I was out of sight of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Hi All,
    Just wondering if any of you are Ham Radio Operators? My Wife, Son and I are. Do any of you have your ham radio portable, VHF/UHF connected to the spyders audio system?

Take Care,
    Louie KA2PFL
    USAF Radio Operators school in 1952, flew radio on AF cargo planes during Korean War and afterward. Got out and went into the reserves, went to school, got my commission, went back in until 1981, fun times (mostly). Saw the world.....say thanks for what all of us have, as the worse we have is better than the best in many parts of this world.....No equiptment on my Spyder as I do mostly HF. 73's

George Lewis, WB5WFW

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Yes I have my ham radio on my bike. Works great and talk all day long on Mars, and on 444.025 world wide via Internet on my bike.

Spyder Garage

Default WA5VHU Here...

I use a Yaesu VX-8 talkie on our RT, with a temporary pipe mount clamped to the trailer hitch in the back that I use with my bicycle antenna which is a 2m/70cm 1/2 wave antenna on a 3 foot fiberglass mast to get the antenna up in the clear. I also have a Yaesu FTM-10 mobile radio and stick-on antenna mount to go where the CB antenna would go. I haven't gotten around to installing the FTM-10 yet.

Both of these radios have Bluetooth so I can link them up with my Sena 20s intercom in my helmet.

Charles

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Family of Hams

Dad (SK) ham - his call is now my brothers: N5ET (has 2014 RT-L)

Wife: WB5LXH

Me: K5IEC

No ham gear on Spyder --- enough to do to safely drive let along morse code on 20 meters.
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default 2 meter

N6UOV here. Have only 2 meter capabilities at this point. Joining the local ARES club next weekend. Trying to figure out how to get gear onto the RT. Probably will use a HT and RAM mounts.
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Spyder Garage

Hi all;

N6CRB here in Bakersfield. Yeah I know, Where???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Bakersfield is a well known place!

Well for anyone who watched the movie 'Short Circuit' anyway!

de G1XUE didah didahdit dahdidah

Spyder Garage

WB6YXA in Grants Pass, OR. I do not have a rig on the Spyder yet. I only have ridden 900 miles so far so am still concentrating on ridding.
    73's

Spyder Garage

Send a pm with show and tell you how I put my rig on my 2014. .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Well for anyone who watched the movie 'Short Circuit' anyway!

de G1XUE didah didahdit dahdidah
    Loved that move.

Newton Crosby: Where are you from, anyway?
    Ben Jabituya: Bakersfield, originally.
    Newton Crosby: No, I mean your ancestors.
    Ben Jabituya: Oh, them. Pittsburgh.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Wow,
    Glad to see some other Spyderlovers are "Radio Active" . Thank you all for replying.

I would like to use my VX7 with my Spyder and would like to use the PTT button on the left grip. Has anyone done that? Does anyone have a diagram of the radio harness? Is the PTT line from the button just a simple ground?

I will not have my new Spyder until Feb so cannot probe around with my DMM yet. I like Charlie's idea of using a Bluetooth transceiver, but would still like to use the Spyders PTT (vox just sucks sometimes). I have the Sena 20 so will be able to multitask.

73's KA2PFL Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default KD0HGO

I carry around a VX8 in the back trunk of my 2014 RT S but I don't have a radio mounted or a antenna... Yet

Spyder Garage

KB5EZQ here,
    I've thought about mounting my Yaesu 727R, but have not moved forward with it.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    KB5EZQ here,
    I've thought about mounting my Yaesu 727R, but have not moved forward with it.
    Wow,
    Brings back memories. That was the first dual band handheld made. I still have mine. Took it to Dayton in 87. The battery died long ago but was running it on 12V. I will have to dig it out and see if it still works.

73's Louie KA2PFL
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I think I have a ham radio app for my iPhone [emoji1]

Spyder Garage

Default NE5SD

I have only been a ham for 3-1/2 yrs. My dad (NE5S) has been a ham since before I was born.

I have been gathering components and I am building a go-kit using an Icom 706 Mk2 G thru an LG tuner and an off-center fed dipole (with 4:1 balun) for 160m thru 6m SSB operations for Field Day or the OK QSO party. I am shooting for something to fit in the frunk where all I had to do was open frunk, hang antenna, and be on-the-air.

No operations while actually moving. With Oklahoma cage drivers, I am at risk enough without contributing to the danger.

-NE5SD.
    -Steve.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I use a Yaesu VX-8 talkie on our RT, with a temporary pipe mount clamped to the trailer hitch in the back that I use with my bicycle antenna which is a 2m/70cm 1/2 wave antenna on a 3 foot fiberglass mast to get the antenna up in the clear. I also have a Yaesu FTM-10 mobile radio and stick-on antenna mount to go where the CB antenna would go. I haven't gotten around to installing the FTM-10 yet.

Both of these radios have Bluetooth so I can link them up with my Sena 20s intercom in my helmet.

Charles
    Charles,
    I just thought of you when I signed up for the Spyder clutter event. Are you able to attend? Santa brought us (Meg is a Ham as well) a VX-8. Also got Sena 20s but one of the helmet clamp locks broke. Are you using vox for the VX-8 or did you rig up a ptt button?

Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Charles,
    I just thought of you when I signed up for the Spyder clutter event. Are you able to attend? Santa brought us (Meg is a Ham as well) a VX-8. Also got Sena 20s but one of the helmet clamp locks broke. Are you using vox for the VX-8 or did you rig up a ptt button?

Louie
    Louie,
    What is the Spyder clutter event? I haven't been on here constantly and might have missed something.

You can pair the VX-8 up to the 20s but when you do the talkie is on full-time to the 20s so you can't also listen to music, GPS and such. This is a design limitation of the talkie, Yaesu did not implement the full Bluetooth complement. You can use the little connect button on the back of the 20s for PTT but it is push-to-transmit then push-to-unkey so you must watch the radio's red light when transmitting to confirm you un-keyed.

To make it simpler I broke down and purchased a Sena SR-10 Bluetooth Two-way Radio Adapter with the open end cable and a Yaesu CT-M11 external headset cable. A little wiring together and you can control the talkie with the SR-10 which is then connected to your 20s through Bluetooth. You can use the big PTT button on the SR-10 or the little handlebar PTT button that plugs into the SR-10. I would not recommend using VOX. Almost never!

There is someone on the forum here that re-wired their Spyders built-in PTT button but I don't think I want to go to the trouble.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Charles WA5VHU

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

de K3SK............

I have a Yaesu FTM-10R with a dual band halfwave antenna perminately installed on my RT. I use bluetooth from helmet to radio. The radio has built in bluetooth, but I use the SENA SR10 so I can have full duplex bluetooth and use PTT instead of VOX.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    Louie,
    What is the Spyder clutter event? I haven't been on here constantly and might have missed something.

You can pair the VX-8 up to the 20s but when you do the talkie is on full-time to the 20s so you can't also listen to music, GPS and such. This is a design limitation of the talkie, Yaesu did not implement the full Bluetooth complement. You can use the little connect button on the back of the 20s for PTT but it is push-to-transmit then push-to-unkey so you must watch the radio's red light when transmitting to confirm you un-keyed.

To make it simpler I broke down and purchased a Sena SR-10 Bluetooth Two-way Radio Adapter with the open end cable and a Yaesu CT-M11 external headset cable. A little wiring together and you can control the talkie with the SR-10 which is then connected to your 20s through Bluetooth. You can use the big PTT button on the SR-10 or the little handlebar PTT button that plugs into the SR-10. I would not recommend using VOX. Almost never!

There is someone on the forum here that re-wired their Spyders built-in PTT button but I don't think I want to go to the trouble.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Charles WA5VHU
    Charles,
    Here is a link to the event. http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyder...nts/218670411/
    The motorcycle club is based in Maryland.
    I was wondering how the Yaesu was going to work, since it sends audio to the headset all the time. Ordered a SR-10 today. There may be an easier way to connect the VX-8 to the SR-10. Yaesu makes a CT-131 mic adapter for the VX-8. I have one and tried it with my old speaker mic from my VX-5. It worked fine. So ordered the standard Sena Yaesu cable which should plug into the CT-131. I will let you know it a week or so when I get all the stuff to try. I do not mind making cables but this seemed a no brainer, if it works.

If you see any information on how someone used the Ptt button from the Spyder, please let me know. I purchased the service manual cd and the Ptt button "talks" via the can bus to the Spyder audio system. I highly doubt that the Spyder passes the can bus data to the CB. I hope the Spyder radio decodes the Ptt and sends that Ptt to the CB radio. If it does it will be easy to use the Ptt. I have already identified which wires to look for the Ptt on the Spyder radio. Just have to wait for my 2015 Rt to be built and get here, Lol.

Thanks everyone for all your input.
    73, KA2PFL and N2GUU
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    de K3SK............

I have a Yaesu FTM-10R with a dual band halfwave antenna perminately installed on my RT. I use bluetooth from helmet to radio. The radio has built in bluetooth, but I use the SENA SR10 so I can have full duplex bluetooth and use PTT instead of VOX.
    David,
    That rig is nice, too bad they do not make it any more. OMG, what an antenna farm you have! You must do well in the contests with all that hardware in the sky!

73, KA2PFL and N2GUU
    2015 RTL , Red