Thread: front tires

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default front tires

Is there a general consensus as to what brand of aftermarket tire would be best for the front end of my Spyder? I live in the pacific NW, so it should be a good rain tire too.

Thanks, Gary

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

KUMHO's
    SAM_0449.jpg SAM_0451.jpg SAM_0450.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Solus+KH16

you may have to use wedges like you see in my pix, but i've learn how NOT TO use them and still get the tires on without any issues....
    happy tire hunting, and good luck....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

PS: btw, i have 34,000 miles on those tires, and they haven't reached the half-way point yet.... $61 each.... (when i bot them)>...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those of you with 14" front wheels...
    Bridgestone's Potenza has gotten some pretty good reviews as well.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tankguy View Post
    Is there a general consensus as to what brand of aftermarket tire would be best for the front end of my Spyder? I live in the pacific NW, so it should be a good rain tire too.

Thanks, Gary
    Gary: Getting a consensus about anything from this group is hard to do. That is one reason that it is such a good bunch... everyone doesn't march to the same beat.

Recently we replaced the fronts on my wife's RT due to a broken belt while on a trip. We went with the 165/65 R 14 Kendas (OEM) as we were near a dealer and we needed them. Her tires had 18,000 miles on them. She only needed one but we did both.

Once we got home I decided to replace my fronts as my Spyder RT had 26,000 miles and the tires were looking a bit worn. I went with 165/65 R14 Bridgestone Potenzas.

Since then we have taken three short trips with no problems and both tire brands seem to do well.

The difference..... $42.95 each for the Bridgestones..... $106.00 each for the Kendas.

Not really a hard decision is it?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In spite of the fact that it's tough to get us to agree on anything in here...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm using 185/65/14 General Altimax HP's on the front. Installed by Netzleys. They fit with no mods.

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default No..!!

your choice..I use the Kendas it came with, have 24,000 and still good. Can't complain...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been using the Kenda's, but after 10K miles the dealer says that I need new tires. I haven't had a chance to look at the problem yet as the bike is in for repairs (ref: Fall down-go boom-boom). I always kept the tire pressure correct and have had her laseraligned also. Bad set of Kenda's?

Spyder Garage

Default 99%

I've been using the Kenda's, but after 10K miles the dealer says that I need new tires. I haven't had a chance to look at the problem yet as the bike is in for repairs (ref: Fall down-go boom-boom). I always kept the tire pressure correct and have had her laseraligned also. Bad set of Kenda's?

99% of us have had a bad set....
    dp

sorry, 98%...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BY THE NUMBERS

Thanks, Gary
    . ......Gary it all starts with this .......You need to know who is going to put the tires on your wheels ( if you can't take off the wheels and put them back on ---stop now ).......Not all dealers will do it, but any place that does regular car tires can do Spyder wheels. After finding this out I suggest you go on-line to the TIRERACK.COM site and look at the HANDLING SPECS for the tires you might want to buy. Spyderlovers have already done numerous posts on what will fit 14 and 15 inch front wheels...........Because tire technology changes so rapidly last months winner could very well be this months loser ( not likely, but you get my meaning )......I bought Toyo Proxes T-r-1 185/55-15's ( won't fit yours ) it's a " V " rated tire with excellent wet & dry ratings and only $ 57 at TIRE RACK .........Do your homework or take your chances with what someone else likes ...............your choice......................good luck..........Mike .........................PS, I wouldn't put KENDA"s on my wheel barrow ........just sayin

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I disagree that we disagree.......

Spyder Garage

I disagree!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... evidently BRP got the very cheapest deal on Kendas... i'll put real tires when these junky ones wear out.. 2 ply tires are for lawn mowers, wheel barrows & bicycles... surely not a 1000 lb vehicle that goes down the highway at 70 MPH...

OSM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I disagree that we disagree.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I disagree!

Uh-Oh...

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

For those of you with 14" front wheels...
    Bridgestone's Potenza has gotten some pretty good reviews as well.
    Got'em, three weeks ago and from tirerack. Delivered FAST.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    .... evidently BRP got the very cheapest deal on Kendas... i'll put real tires when these junky ones wear out.. 2 ply tires are for lawn mowers, wheel barrows & bicycles... surely not a 1000 lb vehicle that goes down the highway at 70 MPH...

OSM
    I'm no tire expert but I think the days where the number of plies in tires were important are long gone.

Ply Rating

This letter indicates the load carrying capacity of the tire in terms of its construction. A "C" indicates the tire has a 6-ply load carrying capacity. The tire is not actually built with 6 plies, but contains one or two plies of equivalent strength. A "D" is an 8-ply rating, and an "E" is a 10-ply rating. If there is no letter, the tire has a standard 4-ply rating and is usually one belt construction.

I think both the Kenda and the Bridgestone Potenza are manufactured with one ply but are rated at 4 ply. Back in the days of bias ply tires or belted tires they used rayon and then nylon and then steel belts to add strength. Today's radials use a composite material where just one belt or layer is stronger than four or six were many year's ago.

Multiple plies had a bad habit of building up heat and as they got hotter the pressure increased. Today's tires are able to dissipate heat as there are not multiple layers so the air pressure remains constant
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I got over 43000 miles on my front tires (Kendas) on my 2012 but only 8000 on my 2014 so I will never touch another Kenda. have run Federal Evo on the front now for another 17000 miles on the 2014 with no problems
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER