Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is a tune required...???

Hey Guys I have been searching and cannot find the answer....Will simply changing out the exhaust on the 2012 can-am spyder rss require some sort of a tune? I am looking at the voodoo and the two brothers exhaust but I would rather not tune it if not needed.....I just simply want a better deeper sound note

Spyder Garage

Cool

I put a Two Brothers Dual Carbon exhaust on my 2011 RSS without changing the intake at all and had a lot of decel popping, which I don't happen to like. I installed a PC V and it not only got rid of the popping but improved the throttle response big time. Also, when you lose the stock muffler you lose about 15 lbs of extra weight... Just a guess.
    Bakerman

2011 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

I have an RS 2012 and installed a hindle exhaust nothing else needed. The more agressive the pipe the more likely you will need to use a fuel controler. Also changed out the air box with a JT with a K&N filter still runs great plugs burning perfect....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Hindle was designed to work with the stock bike... Anything else MIGHT just need some extra tinkering...
    Proceed with caution; Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I installed 2 Brother's exhaust on my Girlfriends 2011 RSS and love that exhaust, nothing needed. Runs spot on and the sound is incredible.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there any popping under deceleration?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 09 gs/sm5.
    Had the k&n filter, added a HMF and the popping noise started with deceleration.
    I was lucky enough to locate an O2 modifier plug in.
    Problem solved!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay... would you tell us which O2 modifier you found?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Okay... would you tell us which O2 modifier you found?
    Its the evolution. (I believe)
    Are there others out there?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I have an RS 2012 and installed a hindle exhaust nothing else needed. The more agressive the pipe the more likely you will need to use a fuel controler. Also changed out the air box with a JT with a K&N filter still runs great plugs burning perfect....
    Do you get popping/backfire on deceleration. I switched to hindle and I get that sometimes especially when hot and in traffic. 2008 RS K&N air filter
    Last edited by dvmdf; 12-01-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

It was a while ago, and I can't remember if I was told or read somewhere, that there are 2 reasons why you should let your Spyder idle only for about 15 minutes after installing the Hindle, One is to help to cure/seal the internals of the muffler, and the other is, it gives your Spyders computer system time to recognise that something has changed and it reacts accordingly.

So now each time I change an exhaust or muffler I let my Spyder idle for 15 minutes.

I fitted an HMF Performance pipe on my 2011 RSS and did the idle thing, it ran sweet as, and only minimal deceleration pop, usually when not fully throttling off and rethrottling again.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRyder View Post
    Hey Guys I have been searching and cannot find the answer....Will simply changing out the exhaust on the 2012 can-am spyder rss require some sort of a tune? I am looking at the voodoo and the two brothers exhaust but I would rather not tune it if not needed.....I just simply want a better deeper sound note
    The answer is NO, you don't need a tuner unless you modify both the exhaust and air intake, the older models such as the 2008 - 2009 GS models still don't need a tuner even when modifying the air box.

BTW, I'm a former owner of the Voodoo Shorty Exhaust, they work great on the Spyder.
    Last edited by Jeffsm69; 12-05-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Jeff M.
    2017 F3-Limited
    2009 GS , Iridium Plugs Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacobAllThingsChrome View Post
    We exclusively use Voodoo exhaust on the Spyders that we build. We have also installed several Two Brothers exhaust systems. From our experience you can install both the Two Brothers and the Voodoo without tuning it. The bike will lose some throttle response and fuel usage will increase but overall there is still a noticeable power increase. However we use the PC5 (Power Commander 5) to tune, we have noticed huge improvements not only in power but in fuel economy as well. Throttle becomes very responsive and Decreases any popping under deceleration.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I have the HMF exhaust and didn't do anything but "slip it on", no other updates needed. In really warm temperartures, it will pop some on decel but other than that no difference other than the better sound...

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Hindle was designed to work with the stock bike... Anything else MIGHT just need some extra tinkering...
    Proceed with caution; Good Luck!
    Excellent advice!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I just installed the Punisher exhaust from RLS Exhaust last weekend and can say that the computer seemed to adjust to the change over time. When I first installed the exhaust there was some popping and by the end of my 80 mile or so ride my bike didn't pop any more then my HMF exhaust did as described by others and bike sounds great. Now I may have to buy another one to replace my wife's HMF as she likes it too.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info! My RLS Punisher will be here today and was curious as to what I needed to do.. is the Idle for 15 minutes still required? I have an 09 GS SE5..

Spyder Garage

I only tuned my 2012 as its a preference. I ran with stock air box, a K&N filter (which I have available for sale since I changed to the JT Spyder Store Air Intake), and my Two brothers single can M2 exhaust, and it did fine. If you change the INTAKE AND the Pipes, you might need a tune to reduce backfires. I just have Power Commanders on all my EFI bikes, cause I can tune them easier than the stock ECU. Hook up the PC and play once you learn it. I even have one on my Triumph Thruxton, HUGE improvement on that bike, its fricking FAST now....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info! My RLS Punisher will be here today and was curious as to what I needed to do.. is the Idle for 15 minutes still required? I have an 09 GS SE5..
    Why are you idling for 15 minutes? Warm up? If so, I warm up til the first bar appears on the temp gauge, and then I am golden. And mine IS tuned. The tuning improved my mileage too by the way.

Spyder Garage

I also did the canister removal discussed here, takes away the Gassy Smell after you fill and its easier to fill I swear.