Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default hawaii spyder catches fire.

hello everybody how is it going? well I certainly have seen much better days. Just recently I had my 2008 Can Am Spyder just catch on fire while finishing a sunset ride. I am so grateful to God that I was not on the bike during the fire. I was able to record a video with my phone as we all witnessed my bike burn up in flames and I will post this video at a later time on YouTube posting as can am fire in Hawaii. I was unaware that there were any types of fires with these bikes when I purchased my bike. I am sorry to learn about all of these can am riders who have suffered a loss due to these fires. has anyone tried to contact BRP about the fires, and bike replacement. This is not rider error this is builder error. I have no bike now. I never heard about any recall. Now what is a spyder lover to do now?

Spyder Garage

Red face File a report here - it's easy to do - just state the facts as you know them

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that your was involved in a fire and very glad that you were not injured in the process.

A previous post indicates that you purchased a 2008 machine and that you experienced issues with it shortly after purchasing it.

I am guessing that the may have suffered from lack of servicing issues and they could be at the root of the fire.

I rented a Spyder about a year ago in Hawaii and it was also in bad shape due to lack of servicing.

There have been other 2008 and 2009 that had fires, so I am not ruling out that possibility.

A copy of your post from another thread below:
    "check engine light with a P0351 code help
    Hello everyone i need your spyder help. I recently bought a 2008 spyder sm5 in hawaii, this is my first ever motorcycle. I love it however only got to ride it three times before my check engine light came on. Learned online how to selfcheck for code. We have no brp on any island. Any solutions on a self fix. The code is for ignition coil. Anyone else had this issue, if so how did you fix it. Thank you all in advance for your knowledge. "
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianspyder View Post
    hello everybody how is it going? well I certainly have seen much better days. Just recently I had my 2008 Can Am Spyder just catch on fire while finishing a sunset ride. I am so grateful to God that I was not on the bike during the fire. I was able to record a video with my phone as we all witnessed my bike burn up in flames and I will post this video at a later time on YouTube posting as can am fire in Hawaii. I was unaware that there were any types of fires with these bikes when I purchased my bike. I am sorry to learn about all of these can am riders who have suffered a loss due to these fires. has anyone tried to contact BRP about the fires, and bike replacement. This is not rider error this is builder error. I have no bike now. I never heard about any recall. Now what is a spyder lover to do now?
    Yeah it's been all over this forum about these bikes and fires. Sorry to hear bout your lost. Thank GOD for sure. You can get another bike. If it is a bike builder error, i would guess contact BRP to let them know or your dealer to see if they will get you to the right place. It is worry some to hear bout all the fires, kinda makes you ride in fear after hearing a new case. Glad to hear you are ok though.

Spyder Garage

Question Resale

And, no authorized dealers. What's a fellow to do. Not buy?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    A real problem for our Hawaiian friends. No dealers and from what I have gathered of late, no rentals available any more either.

There are mainline brands and scooters on most of the islands.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-20-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'd hate this answer if I were where you are, but unless you either have authorized service, or expert service (such as Pirate Powersports in Riverside), I can't see owning a Spyder. They just require too much expert maintenance, and sooner or later without that I would think they would break down (or, as happened in your case, go up in flames).

I have no idea how much maintenance played into this for you, but I would think twice about owning anything like this without access to good service.

Spyder Garage

Red face For conversations sake

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I'd hate this answer if I were where you are, but unless you either have authorized service, or expert service (such as Pirate Powersports in Riverside), I can't see owning a Spyder. They just require too much expert maintenance, and sooner or later without that I would think they would break down (or, as happened in your case, go up in flames).

I have no idea how much maintenance played into this for you, but I would think twice about owning anything like this without access to good service.
    The loss was that of the OP. I hear where you're coming from as far as needing a dealer but, unless each buyer does his/her homework. They would never know the demands. Such as this poor fella. His first ever motorcycle. Now TOAST.

Spyder Garage

The loss was that of the OP. I hear where you're coming from as far as needing a dealer but, unless each buyer does his/her homework. They would never know the demands. Such as this poor fella. His first ever motorcycle. Now TOAST.
    I didn't mean to come off as insensitive. I'm sorry if it read that way. I know this sucks big time, and I'm not placing blame. My response was meant to be practical only. I didn't know what I was getting into with my first Spyder two and a half years ago, and when I got it I assumed the local motorcycle guy could do my repairs.

Spyder Garage

You need to notify the NHTSA of this fire NOW!!! Here is the link to do so:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

There is an ongoing investigation of BRP and all models and years of Spyder from 2008 to the present. There have been multiple fires, in almost all model years and there is an investigation of the heat issues with these bikes.

Sorry that you lost your bike, glad you weren't hurt. Now do the right thing and report this fire to the government!! Not just to your insurance company. Pay no attention to those chastising you about lack of maintenance, this is a design and engineering problem that has not been adequately addressed by BRP.

Good luck and keep the forum informed of what happens with your claim.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Red face Relax

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I didn't mean to come off as insensitive. I'm sorry if it read that way. I know this sucks big time, and I'm not placing blame. My response was meant to be practical only. I didn't know what I was getting into with my first Spyder two and a half years ago, and when I got it I assumed the local motorcycle guy could do my repairs.
    You said nothing wrong. That's my job unless you care to take over...kidding of course

Spyder Garage

Truly sorry to hear about your loss. Sure hope it was insured.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're okay!
    Bikes can always be replaced; people cannot...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Do Not Waste Your Time

Contacting BRP. File a complaint right now with NHTSA about your fire. Be a part of the ongoing investigation of this issue. Very sorry that your bike burned, but it is not the first one, nor, I fear , will it be the last. I see from your post that you are new to this forum. There is a tremendous amount of information and advice here. Take advantage of it & be proactive. BTW, pics would help. Post your video NOW, believe me, NHTSA is watching. Email Bog Young, an investigator for NHTSA AFTER you file your complaint.

Robert.Young@dot.gov
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 11-20-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

glad you were not injured. I heard that back in the early years there were some units that were involved in fires but those had nothing to do with the ongoing investigation now. You do need to find some reliable source to determine what may have caused this fire. Not having a dealer will have some bearing and depending on weather it was new or used, what work was done on the unit etc. But report it if was manufacturers defect/fault..jmo...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    You need to notify the NHTSA of this fire NOW!!! Here is the link to do so:
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

There is an ongoing investigation of BRP and all models and years of Spyder from 2008 to the present. There have been multiple fires, in almost all model years and there is an investigation of the heat issues with these bikes.

Sorry that you lost your bike, glad you weren't hurt. Now do the right thing and report this fire to the government!! Not just to your insurance company. Pay no attention to those chastising you about lack of maintenance, this is a design and engineering problem that has not been adequately addressed by BRP.

Good luck and keep the forum informed of what happens with your claim.
    . . . and I am really sorry this happened to you . . . I wish I'd had a Spyder when I lived on Oahu!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)