Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heavy shaking at 60-65mph allot of vibration

Just started- heavy vibration starts at 60-65MPH, worse in 5th gear than 4th and during heavy acceleration (which seems O'K to me). Increasing speed reduces vibration by a third. Staying in 4th gear causes heavy vibration to return at about 70-75mph.

Spyder is still very ridable during this condition just concerned that something will shake loose-hopefully not my few remaining brain cells

Weights are still on front and rear wheels.

One rider here suggested that belt tension harmonics are the cause, and that changing the belt tension merely changes RPM where this occurs.

600mi service next Tuesday and I'll get tech's input.

Is this abnormal?

Any inputs/help greatly appreciated.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BeRight View Post
    Just started- heavy vibration...Is this abnormal?
    Yes, it is abnormal. Could be a variety of causes. dealer needs to address it right away. If it is a bad belt or tire, or something loose, it could cause a worse problem soon.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

+1 to Scotty's reply. Good that you are taking it to the dealer soon. Be really careful until then. Is the vibration speed or rpm dependent? Shouldn't be from lugging the engine at those speeds and gears, but you would know as a veteran motorcyclist.
    sabunim5
    Last edited by sabunim5; 10-22-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sabunim5
    You ask good questions. Yeah many years of riding and maintaining Kawasaki, Ducati and Yamaha's - never had one back to dealer for anything.

It does give the feel of lugging in fifth gear even though I am at 65mph and at around 5,000+ rpm. As I increase RPM of course speed increases and the vibration does change and is noticeably less but still very very high. It is better at 80 than 65 but still higher than before.

This is why I tried down shifting into 4th at 65mph and the heavy vibration stopped until I got to around 75MPH.

I just checked my tire pressures cold: front both at 12.5psi and back at 21.5. I've pumped up fronts at 20 and rear at 30. I am off to ride at 3PM today and will be back home around 9PMish and will report my findings.

It couldn't be something this simple-could it? I hope so - I'd rather it be my stupidity.
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

Mine had a bad shake at 60-70 mph just like yours. It would smooth out at higher and lower speeds. I noticed a visible vibration on the front fenders.

The tires were out of balance. I just bought the Ride On stuff and put it in my front tires and no more problems. It works as advertised.

It may be something else, I doubt it but get it checked anyway.
    Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Mine seems vibration free, but then again this is my first bike/spyder. Wish you the best.
    Full Moon SE5 - Sport Rack, Sport/Touring Windshield, Backrest, 1" Riser

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine had the same problem. I added rideon wth no change and also had tires balanced still with no change. I figured I had one built first thing monday morning. I ended up trading before I had time to take it in for service. Good luck with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cisaacs View Post
    Mine had the same problem. I added rideon wth no change and also had tires balanced still with no change. I figured I had one built first thing monday morning. I ended up trading before I had time to take it in for service. Good luck with it.
    Or last thing Friday afternoon or after lunch on payday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, after my ride today with proper tire pressure, problem is the same.

Only exterior thing I could see that was out of spec using owner's manual, is that the belt is against the inner collar and does not have a gap of at least 1mm. 1mm isn't much to see but I couldn't even slip a piece of paper between belt and inner collar. Don't know if this is the cause or not but will at least have the belt adjusted next tuesday.

I noticed today that this vibration seems more of a low freq. rather than the normal bike high freq. vibration, and the vibration is very similar to when one might bog down the engine when in too low of an RPM for the gear, but allot higher vibration/shock level.

It also seems to the RPM range related, since the same low freq. vibration is there in 4th gear at 4500 thru 5000+ range just not as high of a vibration level.
    So for most of my ride today I had a 4 speed transmission- and it noticeable sucks more gas when in 4th at 5-6ooo RPM.

My guess is that the 1 week BRP trained tech. will say that the is normal-they all do it-so I'll be ready for some discussion because this condition stinks.
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

It is certainly not normal. Our Spyder only has 3,500 miles, but there is absolutely no heavy vibration. This thing is actually a bit smoother than my BMW. There can be a great many causes for a vibration like this, and they may take some time to identify. One thing that may help is to have the dealer "prove it" if he says it is normal. Ride his demo and have him ride both, too, preferably side by side. Possible causes include bad belt, loose clutch parts, sprockets out of round or not true, sprockets damaged or flawed, bad tire(s), loose wheels or wheel fasteners, bad wheel bearings, lean condition, and even out of synch throttle bodies. My BMW shakes like mad at 4 grand if the throttle bodies are out of synch or it is too lean. If worse comes to worse, have the dealer get you in touch with a factory rep. Don't let this sour you on the Spyder. Most are marvelous, smooth, easy riding machines.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Loose motor mount?? My belt has always looked like it was touching the rear sprocket, but the sprocket never shows any wear.
    Last edited by sabunim5; 10-24-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your great insights-I'll let you know what happens after my 600 mile service on Tuesday Oct. 28th.

Pray for my Spyder's full recovery
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

Spyder Garage

The "normal" vibration @4500-5000 rpm is not, in my opinion, "heavy".
    It's more like just noticable. I would say your description is of the not normal
    kind. Check your belt for any abnormality, i.e. picked up a small rock, fraying or
    chunks missing. Any of these could cause an imbalance. Good luck.

Mike
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner