Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering a new Spyder RT LTD 2014

Hi all...I have been a staunch GoldWing rider for the past 6 years and love the bike. They are excellent machines with an awesome engine and easy to handle. I have no mobility issues and can handle the bike very well considering I am only 5'7" and 150 pounds. However, I recently rode a 2013 Spyder RT Ltd....it takes a little getting used to especially with the somewhat jerky steering and the leaning into the curves (far different than a motorcycle) but I expected that. I know the 2014 and onwards have the bigger engine and many improvements with respect to suspension, 6 speed transmission, better fuel mileage, steering, torque, etc.

I am considering selling or trading my 2012 Wing, Airbag and all kinds of goodies on the RT as I am planning on taking a 30,000KM North America 4 month trip this summer. My Wing can easily handle that but as I am getting older perhaps it is time to consider something new so good to have an open mind.

With all that said, is there any advice you may have with respect to purchasing a Spyder RT Ltd, what to look for, what to be aware of etc. I have read the threads about wheel balancing issues, poor mileage on the rear tire (folks have recommended changing the rear to an Arachid tire), etc.

Thanks all...your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Ken

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!

Welcome, now is a good time to get a new 2014 RT at end of the model year prices. If you get an RT remember it is NOT a Goldwing. They are a completely different animal and after riding 2 wheelers it will take a while to get the hang of a Spyder. If you get one ride it for a while before passing judgement. The biggest thing about the handling being "jerky" is the front end alignment, most new Spyders are out and need the attention of someone with the ROLO laser system. There are other venders here to help with handling and comfort mods you may want. Good luck on your decision. As far as tires for a long trip, the rear really wears fast on the 2014 and you may want to fit a longer running tire before a long trip. I am using a 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy car tire. Many threads on here about tires.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-19-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

i will be honest with you, it will take time to get used to going from 2 to 3 wheels but the 14 rt is a fantastic bike. if your going to invest some money try renting a rt for a day and put some miles on it, i am sure you will like it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you are thinking of three wheels instead of two I would look at converting your Goldwing. I have been looking at the Spyder because it is new and different but it can not measure up to my Goldwing Trike. From a cost stand point you might end up even purchasing a conversion kit for your Wing vs. trading in your Wing and buying a new Spyder. But you will be giving up a machine that will go 300 thousand miles plus (proven) for something without a track record and known problems to start with. As far a tire wear I currently have 60,000 miles on my rear tires and expect to get at least another 30 or more and for the front using a MPA tire I get 30,000 miles. A Spyder can not match this.

Spyder Garage

Default It seems as all machines have their

issues, the Spyder has them as do the Wings. One look at their forums and you will see it clearly.

The Spyder for me provides ample storage, reasonable performance, and stability with its on board anti-lock, traction control, etc.

In my opinion, when you consider a trike, the layout of the Spyder just makes the most sense, and if you You Tube Goldwing Trike vs. Spyder, you will see some real world comparisons.

The Wing is a fine, fine machine, but if your considering a trike, the Spyder is hard to beat.

One additional though for you:
    We have owned both a 13' and now a 14' and there is no comparison between the two. If your going to buy, start with a 14' as Can-Am has figured it out...

Good Luck!!!!!!!
    Lets ride!!!!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2010 RS-S Spyder for 3 years until 2013.I purchased a Honda F6B Goldwing thinking I want to go back to 2 wheels.BIG mistake.The Honda was one awesome machine but after you ride a Spyder its over.I now have a 2014 RT-S and loving it

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great tips all..thanks a million...DECISIONS DECISIONS!

Spyder Garage

Your considered choice of an RT is a good one. The 2014 has had excellent reviews and if you can't find a 2014, then a 2015 promises more of the same.

I also have mobility issues and the has allowed me to keep my face in the wind. No worry about trying to keep the heavy two wheeler up.

RE: twitchy steering. There can some issues such as mis-matched air pressure, shocks out of adjustment, bad wheel alignment, even bad tires. Before worrying about these items, the biggest cause is driver overinput. Very small inputs on the handlebars are multiplied many times and give a new rider the feeling that the has a mind of its own. Fifty to a hundred miles of seat time, usually results in the no longer feeling twitchy.

I have had none of the mechanical issues listed above.

If your is set up properly by the dealer, you should not experience any "out of the box" issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was facing the same decision you are last spring. Sold my 2012 wing and bought a 14 RT limited. Have put 7,600 miles on it and would never go back. Much better for touring especially in slow speed situations and inclined parking situations. I have a Harley too but nearly always chose the spyder.

Spyder Garage

The Wing is an awesome machine. We have a Spyder RT along with a couple of bikes one Being a Gold Wing F6B.
    When we ride together it is always on the Spyder, just nicer and easier to ride double on and a lot of storage.

The Spyder will handle better then any Trike conversions on curves. It all really depends what you want.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken613834 View Post
    Great tips all..thanks a million...DECISIONS DECISIONS!
    Yup!
    You're already hooked , and don't even know it yet...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Test ride whatever you like. This way YOU know what works for you
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Default Go for the RT...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup!
    You're already hooked , and don't even know it yet...
    I absolutely agree...
    The 2014 RT is fantastic. I had a BMW R100RS for 22 years before changing to a 2014 RT LTD.

I haven't regretted the change for 1 millisecond.

Spyder Garage

Default Test ryde..!!

it's all about the test ryde. It is like "a picture is worth a 1,000 words" ... "a test ryde is worth 1,000 opinions". I know you will be happy with the 2014 and that test ryde will convince you...and thats who decides...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

have ridden wings since 93 owned a honda dealership. made the switch in october to a 14 rt limited.. no regrets at all, wife says her comfort is better.. give yourself two days to get used to the handling and you should be a happy camper

Spyder Garage

Default Arachid tire

Arachid tires have NO history at this time.... no body really knows how they will perform as for mileage, handling, etc...
    since you are planning a 30,000 mile ride, my recommendation would be to have KUMHO's mounted at all three points, and you will not need a tire change during your trip. I have 33,000 on my KUMHO front tires, and i'm at the half-life point now... i have 25,000 on the rear, and still lots more meat left...

your ride, your choice...

remember: rubber side now, and enjoy...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

If you go for a Spyder, your choice of a 2014 RT is excellent.
    BRP hit a home run with this machine.
    Some known issues....bad tires. Bad alignment out of the factory, males the bike wander.
    Once you have the Spyder, make sure you get a laser alignment, or make it part of the deal.
    The Spyder is different enough that I never had a problem with learning to steer it.
    The two problems I had adjusting were the width of the vehicle and no hand brake.
    I still find myself occasionally coasting to a stop and reaching for a non-existent hand brake.
    The other was keeping in the center of the lane. On a two wheel bike I almost always stay in the left tire track.
    When you do that on a Spyder, the left wheel is over the yellow line.
    Other than that. it's the most comfortable bike I've owned. I did my Iron Butt on a Spyder.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your decision.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Add my vote for the Spyder, the 14 is much improved over my 2010 Rt but my age makes me think twice (and more ) about a 14. No real problems with my RS/GS or my RT.
    Converting a Wing into a trike has lots of pro and cons, your decision. One thing that does gripe me about Wings, as with any bike, they do have mechancial problems. Read Wing World every month. I have ben a associate member (ST1100)of GWRRA for years,can be great group
    If you are a GWRRA member check into their trike course, it is great. Spyders are allowed to take the course. If you are into trailers, the Spyder can handle with ease.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Add my vote to the 2014RTS-SE6 you will no regrets, I had a 2012RTS-SE5 A&C

There is a huge difference between 2012RTS-SE5 to a 2014RTS-SE6( higher torque, smoother ride, less fill-ups,1330ACE Rotax engine, improved heat management by doubling radiator capacity and moving them to the front of the A-arms- away from rider, passenger. The fans include a reverse mode that blows hot air away from the rider when traveling at slower speeds, this ensures more comfort for both rider, and passenger. The new 1200-W alternator ( instead of the 650 W) ECO mode. Better gas mileage ( after the 3,000 mile break-in period) Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 11-21-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Considering a new Spyder RT Ltd 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ken613834 View Post
    Hi all...I have been a staunch GoldWing rider for the past 6 years and love the bike. They are excellent machines with an awesome engine and easy to handle. I have no mobility issues and can handle the bike very well considering I am only 5'7" and 150 pounds. However, I recently rode a 2013 Spyder RT Ltd....it takes a little getting used to especially with the somewhat jerky steering and the leaning into the curves (far different than a motorcycle) but I expected that. I know the 2014 and onwards have the bigger engine and many improvements with respect to suspension, 6 speed transmission, better fuel mileage, steering, torque, etc.

I am considering selling or trading my 2012 Wing, Airbag and all kinds of goodies on the RT as I am planning on taking a 30,000KM North America 4 month trip this summer. My Wing can easily handle that but as I am getting older perhaps it is time to consider something new so good to have an open mind.

With all that said, is there any advice you may have with respect to purchasing a Spyder RT Ltd, what to look for, what to be aware of etc. I have read the threads about wheel balancing issues, poor mileage on the rear tire (folks have recommended changing the rear to an Arachid tire), etc.

Thanks all...your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Ken
    Here is another suggestion... I purchased a 2014 RT Ltd this past summer. I had it modified (see below) and it has become the go to bike for longer trips. Because of a host of issues with a local BMW dealer's service, I moved away from BMW and another maker's bikes and ended up with the Spyder and no more two wheelers. I missed the two wheelers and since my Spyder dealer sells other machines I spent some time looking around. A couple of weeks ago I was loitering at the Spyder dealer (also a Honda dealer).

I found a lonely black 2014 Honda Valkyrie sitting among a group of hostile looking v-twin cruisers. Feeling sorry for it stranded in such rude company, I adopted it. For me, the Spyder RT Ltd and the Valkyrie are a perfect combination and I am truly pleased with both.

One consideration about GW trikes is that they are not made by Honda, and, accordingly you may encounter some difficulty getting it serviced as the Honda dealer may try to blame any issues on the conversion.

Finally, the Spyder is not a motorcycle and it will take some time to get used to. Most Spyder owners would agree that the BajaRon sway bar is a necessity and I agree. It makes an immediate, very tangible improvement in handling.

Rolf
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great tip...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Arachid tires have NO history at this time.... no body really knows how they will perform as for mileage, handling, etc...
    since you are planning a 30,000 mile ride, my recommendation would be to have KUMHO's mounted at all three points, and you will not need a tire change during your trip. I have 33,000 on my KUMHO front tires, and i'm at the half-life point now... i have 25,000 on the rear, and still lots more meat left...

your ride, your choice...

remember: rubber side now, and enjoy...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow...lots of information to digest and I am very appreciative of the feedback from everyone. Crap.....I guess that means I am going to have to buy a Spyder...oh well....only one life to live and why not.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ken,
    I don't think you will be disappointed buying a Spyder. I sold a 2012 Goldwing (non airbag) to buy the 2014 Cognac RTS. Prior to that we had a 2005 Midnight Venture. I'm also 5'7" and pretty close to the same weight as you. Yes, they both handled great but age, size and other considerations sapped my confidence in slow speed situations. My wife and I still wanted to tour which we really enjoy and 3 wheels seemed like the only alternative.
    Getting the Spyder has been a great alternative. We did manage to get away on it for a little 4,000 km trip in September and I could not have been more pleased. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any long trip. It does take getting used to and you should try to do that before you head out on the long adventure. I did get a laser alignment done by Anne and Joe of Squared Away when they were in Washington and that made a sizable difference. I then ordered Bajaron's sway bar and heim links and installed them and that too made a significant difference in handling. I'm very happy with the way it handles now. My only other concerns are as others have stated, the life of the rear tire and I'm not satisfied with the stock seat comfort. With regard to the rear tire, a good car tire alternative will likely increase your time before having to change it but I'm not sure any tire will last you through a 30k km trip so you will probably need to do a tire while on your trip.If you are headed out for such a long trip you may want to decide if the stock seat is to you liking before you start. The stock seat is fine in my opinion for short trips but not long ones and not in high heat. This week, I am ordering a new saddle from Ultimate Seats. Being that you live where you are, Ultimate Seats are made in Toronto and that may work out well for you. They have been great to deal with. I may add highway pegs too as I've always used them but that is a personal preference.
    I would also down load Rattigan Roger's free app and have it with you for info on codes, dealers and other assistance if on a long trip.
    Good luck with your decision and as I said, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers,

Gary
    States visited by Bike