Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Women motorcycle riders switching to Spyders

Hi,

I would like to hear from women Spyder riders that used to/or still do ride motorcycles. I currently have a BMW motorcycle and am considering a Spyder. I think I will feel more stable. Please let me know what you think of the Spyder now and what led to your decision. Also, what type of modifications have women made, specifically handlebars and windshields. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I have been riding double with my husband for 25 years. 4 years ago I decided to learn to ride myself. I could never get to the place where I felt totally confident on a 2 wheeler. I demo rode a Spyder and was confident and comfortable right away. I've had mine for a year now and LOVE it. I feel safe and very stable on her. I put on Matt's 7" pull back bars so I now sit upright. Much more comfortable! I have a F1 windshield, and it is better protection than stock, but I am also still looking for the "perfect" windshield for me.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Does your husband still ride a motorcycle and how is it to combine the two vehicles on a trip? About how tall are you? I have been looking at the Cee Bailey windshields and they are "rated" for different rider heights.

I think I would miss my motorcycle, but like you said, I haven't gotten to the point of feeling totally comfortable on two wheels. When I test drove the Spyder, I was very confident.

Spyder Garage

My wife did not ride by herself before the Spyder. Just two-up on my BMWs or other toys. Since she has had the Spyder, we have logged about 2,500 miles together, her on the Arachnid, and me on my R1100RT. No problems whatsoever in combining the two for a trip. For extended touring, the Spyder may need more storage. Nancy is eyeing hard bags now. On the other hand, I attended a rally on the Spyder, and strapped my Helen Bag, Seal-Line bag, outdoor cover, and tent to the seat. Helen straps work well on the grab rails. The trunk held everything I usually stick in my Beemer hard bags. We are planning an extended trip next year, camping and all.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife likes the spyder, but I think she likes her Yamaha Virago 1100 better. She rides it every chance she gets. She prefers to be a passenger on the spyder. But part of that might be I complain bitterly about being a passenger on the spyder. As I find the rear seat on the spyder to be too small and uncomfortable seating position. And our BMW (RT) is just too tall & heavey for her handle.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi there,

I've had my Spyder almost a month now (SM5). I've ridden motorcycles off and on since I was 19. I just traded my Intruder in to purchase the Spyder.

Riding the Spyder (imho) is a different set of skills from being on the two-wheeler. Although I find myself using all of the defensive driving techniques I'd mastered on the motorcycle.

For me the Spyder is a good compromise. I wanted a touring bike, but at 4'11'' I found myself limited in bikes I could comfortably ride and get the features that I wanted. The Spyder makes commuting to work with a computer and gym bag a breeze. For longer trips, I will eventually add the Corbin saddlebags.

While the Spyder is more stable than a two wheeler at lower speeds, it has it's own personality at higher speeds and handles differently on various road textures. I find it challenging and I'm enjoying the ride.

I don't miss the Intruder at this point.

Spyder Garage

wife wife loves my spyder, she rides it all the time.....................no I mean all the time, if my finances were right I would give it to her and buy another one. Mind you other than an atv she has never riden a motorcycl.

Spyder Garage

For those of use who spent all our time riding in the back, the Spyder is wonderful. A whole new experience "up front". I've only had her for 3 weeks but don't regret it a bit. I'm just having too much fun. At 5'5" the 4" risers and 23" CalSci windshield are a must (IMO). Also have the Corbin saddlebags on order to hold all the "stuff". Use the Spyder to transport my youngest to high school and his bookbag takes up the whole trunk.

Spyder Garage

My previous ride wasn't exactly a motorcycle. I have always loved and wanted a motorcycle. My husband had one for a short time when we were first married 20+ years ago. Just never had the right time or money for a bike of my own. June of 2007 I bought a 150cc Scooter for my main transportation. I really enjoyed it but in a very short time I knew was was going to want to move up to a bigger scooter or a motorcycle. While shopping for my next vehicle, we came across the Spyder. My husband had been contemplating on and off about getting something for himself as well. I took the demo ride when they came around but I wasn't all that impressed for a 5 minute ride. My husband didn't have his endorsement so he wasn't able to try them out. Of course this dealership didn't really know anything and didn't act like they wanted to sell a spyder. I was still interested in a bigger two wheeler at this point. We went to my dealership for some general maintenance on my scooter and got to talking to the service manager. After better than an hour conversation, my husband put his deposit down for his spyder. I was still wavering. Upon further research, we went back a week later and put down another deposit on my spyder. When this dealership got their demo's in for a ride, my husband had his endorsement and they took us out together for about a 45 minute ride. This time I really enjoyed the spyder and knew I had made the right decision. I love this machine and I have done a lot to it to make it all mine. You can see many of my mods in the Mod's forum section. As a matter of fact I just sent out my seat today for my custom Russell Day Long that goes into production on Oct. 29th. I have the F1 Evo III windshield which does a great job for me. With my NMN 3" risers and my added highway boards, I have turned my spyder into my touring machine as well as my everyday fun machine. It is definitely different than two wheels but it is still exciting and a lot of fun. There are also some safety considerations, it is easier to see and be seen by cars and other drivers. I don't have to worry about dropping it or moving a big heavy bike. I find it safer on wet pavement but you still have to be careful. One day if finances allow, maybe I'll have a motorcycle and my spyder just for fun but I highly doubt I will ever give up my spyder. I hope this helps a little bit for you. The hardest thing to believe is that it actually gets more fun to ride. I have heard of others that have come from riding a motorcycle and it took a couple hundred miles under their belt before they were sure they wanted to keep their spyder. They are different but they are both a thrill to ride.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingSpyder View Post
    Does your husband still ride a motorcycle and how is it to combine the two vehicles on a trip? About how tall are you? I have been looking at the Cee Bailey windshields and they are "rated" for different rider heights.

I think I would miss my motorcycle, but like you said, I haven't gotten to the point of feeling totally comfortable on two wheels. When I test drove the Spyder, I was very confident.
    Yes, her hubby (me) still has his LT. It works great, as we can carry more stuff without bothering with the Bushtec. I do get a bit jealous when she pulls into a soft gravel lot, stops, and gets off (and when she still corners hard in the rain). Another interesting point - I frequently (as often as she lets me) switch back and forth between the LT and Spyder. Both are fun, tho with the adjustments for her (4'10") the LT does fit me better.
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I previously rode 2 wheels. I started out with a 150cc Tank Scooter, then went to a 250cc Tank Scooter, and then moved on to a Suzuki Burgman 400. I have also driven a Kawasaki 250cc motorcycle. I dropped the 250cc Scooter a few times, did not worry about replacing parts, only had a few scratches on the bike. The Burgman I dropped twice turning onto gravel drives. Spent over $1000 dollars in body parts between the two incidents. I never got hurt, I did get really good at jumping off of them as they went down. I loved the Suzuki Burgman 400. I cried when I sold it. They are great machines.
    I waited 5 months for my Spyder and I love it. I don't have to contemplate the angles of the parking spaces or worry about duck walking it out of a parking space. I don't have to worry about the road surfaces, gravel, sand, potholes, etc. like I did on two wheels. I feel like I can go anywhere on the Spyder, it was always a concern for me on two wheels.
    I am 5'3". I have the Kewl Metal 9" Handlebars & Center Console & Mirror Extensions. I did have the NMN 4" Risers, but decided it just wasn't enough for me. I have the Medium Cal-Sci windshield. Corbin Heated Seat, Corbin Saddlebags.
    You don't get the thrill of leaning a motorcycle, but I feel the freedom of not worrying about road surfaces, having the reverse, not to mention the awesome power (the Spyder really has a lot of power, hope I don't get too many speeding tickets) makes up for it.

Spyder Garage

I've been riding for about 3 years now - not very long. Bought a Sportster without even knowing how to ride. HDX was very patient in teaching me but that dang thing scared me. Also rode a dirt bike and a 250 cc Rebel which I did fine on. Graduated to a 750 Honda and then to a Harley Softail Deluxe. I have been told I rode fine but I couldn't stand the slow speed manuvers. Riding in a straight line is a no brainer but slow speed was hard for me. I have neck problems and a long day trying to manuver a heavy bike turned me into a cranky pants by the end of a long day on the bikes. So Roaddog in here got a Spyder and it's all his fault! I was hooked! I miss the Harley because I really loved the bike but it was really a hard bike for me to ride. I love everything about the Spyder - I'm only 5 feet, don't have to worry about anymore slow speed manuvers, long days of riding w/ neck pain (the ergonomics of the Spyder changed all that for me - no more pain). I didn't do anything to it except for the 1 inch riser and a two brothers exhaust. And I ride with other two wheelers all the time - no problem keeping up w/ them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my spyder, she is great. I did learn how to ride a two wheeler and got my license 3 years ago. I never bought one because a lot of people I know that ride were having accidents. Not just getting hit but also falling on gravel. Riding a spyder is definately different. I think its more like riding a quad 3 wheeler. I don't really need my handle bars raised, I am fine with the hieght. I have installed the black widow Highway pegs, driver pegs, Hindle pipe, pipe wrap, kuryakyn grips, latch spring in the trunk, and graphics on paint.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi TravelingSpyder,
    I'm a 5'3, 106 lb. BMW rider - I ride the F800ST, factory lowered - can get almost the balls of my feet down and I tour a bunch on it. Also have a Triumph Speed Triple that I can get toes of both feet down. This is the sport bike I ride when we go over east to find tight twisties and I'm used to riding pretty hard/fast to keep up with my husband. I re-entered two wheel riding about 10 years ago after not riding since late college years. Currently also have a Thruxton (cafe racer, pretty bent over stance) and also take out one of my husband's Ducati's (ST-3) of which I put my legs down and wait for one tippy toe or the other (but not both) to make ground contact. The beemer, Ducati and Triple all have faster acceleration and quicker high speed cornering, but I agree with SpyderCrazy about the worries of backing out of parking spots, gravel, etc. and it's a trade off for the fun of riding these bikes that I love. Spyder takes all that worry away and is certainly an attention getter! However, I truly love the Spyder ride, too. I'm used to riding sport bikes (have had Ducatis and other BMW's in past) and find the stock Spyder handle bar stance totally comfortable. I have had tons of custom seats made for other bikes, but so far am happy with Spyder stock seat. Even the windshield suits me - wind hits right at top of my helmet and shoots right over with no bother. Wind skims just the outside of my shoulders so no problem with that either - don't really catch much air in my chest at all. Mirrors work great for me - barely see little finger on each hand but have full, clear view behind and to sides. Haven't ridden with my husband yet as he's been under the weather and I've only had the Spydie 10 days/900 miles. But I've followed some other bikers through the twisties we have around here and haven't had a problem hanging in with them now that I've learned the secret of hanging off the seat as far as can! It's a different ride but equally as fun in it's own way. To me it's just another form of fun - I'd be hard pressed to have to choose one over the other.

P.S. to Scotty (or any others) - I think I might want to tour on the Spyder sometimes - will set up GIVI side bags I . But on my other bikes I usuallly add an Ortleib dry bag strapped behind me on the passenger seat. How do you handle strapping stuff on the seat when you have to add fuel? Do you have to remove it at each gas stop?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingSpyder View Post
    Hi,

I would like to hear from women Spyder riders that used to/or still do ride motorcycles. I currently have a BMW motorcycle and am considering a Spyder. I think I will feel more stable. Please let me know what you think of the Spyder now and what led to your decision. Also, what type of modifications have women made, specifically handlebars and windshields. Thanks.
    Hello. I have been riding for about three years now. I took the MSF certification class and started riding with a Honda Rebel 250cc and a Ninja 250cc to get my skills up to par and gain confidence on the road. I have had my little mishaps of losing my balance while getting into a complete stop and also losing control of the bike in the gravel as well. I learned about the Spyder March of 2007 and immediately placed my deposit for the PE. I got her November of last year. I must say that I am less worried of losing my balance since this is a three-wheeler and I love the sporty look of the Spyder. I traded my Honda 250cc and purchased a Honda Shadow this year. I alternate my rides between the two. However, I do feel more confident riding the Spyder.

I currently have the ultra-sport BRP windshield for now. I am still waiting for the C.H.A.D. windshield or the new BRP touring windshield which will be released next spring. I would like to have the risers as well, but I am still undecided which one to get. I am in no rush in doing more upgrades for the Spyder, but of course, it can be costly. But in the same way, you cannot put a price on satisfaction and fun in riding. This website has helped me and a lot of SpyderRiders to get more ideas doing special mods for the Spyder. Just look at Lamont's mods... . I'd say, he has the most list of upgrades on his ride. Pretty cool stuff. Can't get over his cold-air intake.
    Have fun riding whether you like two-wheelers or the reverse trike. Be safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    P.S. to Scotty (or any others) - I think I might want to tour on the Spyder sometimes - will set up GIVI side bags I . But on my other bikes I usuallly add an Ortleib dry bag strapped behind me on the passenger seat. How do you handle strapping stuff on the seat when you have to add fuel? Do you have to remove it at each gas stop?
    The gas tank under the seat is certainly a problem, especially with the Spyder's short range between fuel stops. When I had the full load on there, the rally was only about 100 miles away, so I didn't need to fuel until after I was there and unloaded. Going to some shows and such my wife has needed to unstrap the chairs and cooler when fueling...a big bother. A decent luggage rack, like Mad Matt's, would help a lot. I'm not completely sold on the plain metal styling, though, and would prefer something plastic, like most sport touring bikes. The Givi bags may also offer the possibility of strapping things on top of the bags, lengthwise, instead of the seat. I have done this on my RT and R75/5. Right now we are contemplating making short straps with D-Rings, to pass under the seat. The Helen straps would attach to them, and allow the seat to be raised, although possibly with difficulty, due to the weight. Stay tuned for further developments.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Whow, you all have been so helpful. I appreciate the time you took to write such detailed information. It is helpful in my decision. Thanks, Kathy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    ... I have neck problems and a long day trying to manuver a heavy bike turned me into a cranky pants by the end of a long day on the bikes....

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

My husband still rides his BMW. Traveling together on the 2 machines is great!! I am 4'10" tall. When I couldn't get really comfortable and confident on a 2 wheeler, I was concerned that I was a safety hazard.
    Happy SM5 Owner
    Mods: Evoluzione PowerBus & air filter, sway bar, Kewl adjustable risers, highway pegs, back rack, Givi trunk & side bags, Crampbuster, Heatroller, Autocom intercom & 2 way radio, McCruise cruise control, No Magic Triple Play brake lights, fender tip & mud flap lights, Givi bag lights,
    mirror extensions, Russell Day-Long Saddle, C.H.A.D., Oxford heated grips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post

LOL! I'm gonna work on this pic and give it curly blonde hair like me (in my pic it is straight from riding but it's normally curly) I love it! This is gonna be my new sig pic when I fix it up! LOL! Thx!

Spyder Garage

LOL! I'm gonna work on this pic and give it curly blonde hair like me (in my pic it is straight from riding but it's normally curly) I love it! This is gonna be my new sig pic when I fix it up! LOL! Thx!
    Is this what you had in mind?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

ataDude, now that really looks like a Cranky Pants!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Is this what you had in mind?

wish i looked that young!

Spyder Garage

wish i looked that young!
    You'd get carded every time, and pulled over every time you rode your Spyder, just to verify you actually had a license! LOL
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingHeart View Post
    My husband still rides his BMW. Traveling together on the 2 machines is great!! I am 4'10" tall. When I couldn't get really comfortable and confident on a 2 wheeler, I was concerned that I was a safety hazard.
    I purchased a Spyder yesterday. I am also 4'10" and although my Honda VLX had been modified, I never felt comfortable. I loved riding the Spyder, and had absolutely no fear or apprehensive feelings.
    Spyder Byte