Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, my Spyder is here, but won't be able to get to NC to pick it up til November sometime. Many of you expressed the concerns I had on a two-wheeler. I kept thinking I would "get over" my apprehension, but I didn't. I have riden the Spyder twice, for about an hour and while it is different, I felt comfortable. I am anxious to get it and go traveling with my husband, with confidence!

Spyder Garage

Congrats. November is not that long.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingSpyder View Post
    Well, my Spyder is here, but won't be able to get to NC to pick it up til November sometime. Many of you expressed the concerns I had on a two-wheeler. I kept thinking I would "get over" my apprehension, but I didn't. I have riden the Spyder twice, for about an hour and while it is different, I felt comfortable. I am anxious to get it and go traveling with my husband, with confidence!
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie

I just brought home my 2012 pearl white spyder,
    the steering scares me. It's so wide in the front so I make wide turns.
    how do move quickly from a possible situation with it being so wide and I feel like I'm going to fall off the other side when I turn....yikes!
    Wolfie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeyes View Post

how do move quickly from a possible situation with it being so wide and I feel like I'm going to fall off the other side when I turn....yikes!
    You really need to get with someone who has a Spyder to help you. When turning it is very, very important to lean into the turn. I can't stress that enough as you seem to be having a problem with it. Also when turning if your turns are too wide don't be afraid to turn even harder, but not so hard that you cross the centerline into oncoming traffic when entering a curve to the left. Bottomline you need to spend a lot of time in the saddle and remember to relax - that also is very important.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeyes View Post

Go to an empty parking lot to practice until you are comfortable. Slow down before your turn and look where you want to go and the spyder with input from you will go where you are looking

lean slightly forward and into the turn......that should help with the feeling of falling off.

loosen your grip on the handlebar and relax
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

I would also add that clamping your legs to the sides as you keep a relaxed upper body and grip will help. I also push down with the outside foot - left foot for right turns - right foot for left turns.
    Practice in an empty lot ( church,school) will allow you to do this safely.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I am 5' tall and was very llimited as to what I could ride. I found Harley Softails to be the best for my height so I had several over a 12 year period. Never wanted 3 wheels because I love riding twisties and love the lean on 2 wheels. Wasn't thrilled with my Harley Deluxe saw the Spyder and decided to try something different. Bought a used RS then bought a new 2010 RT which I still ride and love. Riding twisties will never compare with 2 wheels but it is alot of fun aand no more tip overs! I added Baker Air wings a must have and an F4 windshield (love). Ultimate Seat was the final major comfort addition. Overall I love it. Riding a HYABUSA is still on my bucket list though! !!
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

I too just got a Spyder 2013 RT. I had been riding 2 wheels for 11 years and traded in a 2003 VTX with 104,000 miles on it. Not sure if I was making the right decision but having traveled a lot while putting on those 104,000 miles I was dreading a 2 week trip to California because of all the conditions I had to ride in. Most recent was snow last September in Colorado. I'm 5" 2' and conditions were an issue. I had done a test ride last May and decided the Spyder was my next bike. It has been a learning curve but am getting better. Steering is different as is the shifting. I have an SE and have found a lot of good help on this forum. My dealership was good but there probably was some additional information they should have told me but it's all good. That said I have put my J&M handlebar CB on and plan to figure a way to get some risers on it to make more comfortable. While I loved my X and miss it some it is worth more to me not to have to worry about road construction, gravel and snow. It is fun and will make you smile while you ride and I find myself just going out and looking at it in the garage on the mornings I can't ride. (Not leaving the house in the rain). Hope this helps.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with the Motor Maids

To get a true and real opinion from women riders who have gone from 2 to 3 wheels and Spyders call the AMA
    1-800-AMA-5646 and ask them for the nearest Motor Maids group they are the oldest womens motorcycle assoc.
    on earth. I am 71 almost 72 and my mother was a member of the Motor Maids. The only 3 wheel rig I ever saw hers
    on was one with a side car, she was the pilot and my brother and I were in the side car we went everywhere in it
    my dad was on his Indian, or Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingSpyder View Post
    Hi,

I would like to hear from women Spyder riders that used to/or still do ride motorcycles. I currently have a BMW motorcycle and am considering a Spyder. I think I will feel more stable. Please let me know what you think of the Spyder now and what led to your decision. Also, what type of modifications have women made, specifically handlebars and windshields. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

My wife had a Yamaha V-Star 950 and a Kawasaki W650 previously. She never felt 100% comfortable on two wheels. Now we ride so much more ...and she's got me on a Spyder, too - something that would not have happened if she hadn't made the leap first.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

I just got my spyder a week ago and I love it...it's an automatic so I don't have to shift, at 5'1 I don't have to worry about falling over or holding it up. I haven't done any modifications because I love to lay down on the tank a little while I ride. Take some getting used to with the turning radius but with some practice I've mastered it. I love it love it...
    Wolfie