Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather Spyder Riders

This is my first winter with my Spyder and I plan to continue riding through the winter (as much as I can tolerate) except for the snow/ice/rainy days and salty roads.

I started up in garage today after a couple of cold days (down to the teens) of sitting and when I backed up some anti-freeze was on the floor which I assume drained from the plastic tube underneath. idled for a while with no other drainage. Took for a ride and didn't have any problems. Is the anti-freeze drainage thing normal?

And I have a few other questions....

- Has anyone installed or is it possible to have an engine block heater installed on a Spyder?

- Any idle duration for warming up?

- Other advice

Spyder Garage

You have the right idea about avoiding snow and ice. is not designed for riding on either.

Anti Freeze puddle: never a good thing when the is leaking fluid. It this persists, you should see your dealer for a fix.

Engine block heater: That is new to me. Have not heard of anyone having one installed on a . If you have your garaged, cold starting should not be too much of an issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

your winter ryding plan sounds good.. The coolant could be from several places. Check that the adiator cap is on to the second detent (tight). Check the radiator hose with the adjustable clamp on it. These have been known to be loose and wll be more so in cold weather. If not there have your dealer check the waterpump seal and the coolant tank. As for a block heater, those are most commonly used on diesel engines. Warm up should be till the fan comes on if not ryding and three bars if heading out...hope your winter is a mild one..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

When I lived in northern Iowa we used dipstick heaters that kept the oil warm (they quite possibly would work on 2014 and 2015 model years but not likely on earlier one with odd oil entrance. One year while I was riding in freezing weather most of the time I left an electric blanket over the Spyder at night and that worked fine for me when coupled with a trickle charger to protect the battery
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default ANTI-LEAK

I ALSO HAD ANTI-FREEZE ON MY GARAGE FLOOR...
    i took the
    Tupperware off, and with a screw-driver, i tightened the hose clamps... BINGO, no more leaks...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I don't know why you guys are always bitching about cold,
    It's 59 deg here. I guess it's time to put the spyder up for the winter
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

Rode in 20 degree weather last winter - no snow or ice - plan to do so this winter as well. Just have to layer up and go for it. Yeah, it might be 20 - 25 degrees, but when the sky is blue & the sun is out - why not ride??
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Last winter, my record was 23 degrees. Below that I drove.

Spyder Garage

Default 19' yesterday when I left

No snow/ice/or deice to contend with (won't ryde on that stuff)...yes it was cold, but with proper layers it was an awesome day to ryde. I am not in competition or out to prove that I can ryde "tougher than ???"....I just love the ryde. So I say if you want to ryde...ryde no matter what the temp is...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    No snow/ice/or deice to contend with (won't ryde on that stuff)...yes it was cold, but with proper layers it was an awesome day to ryde. I am not in competition or out to prove that I can ryde "tougher than ???"....I just love the ryde. So I say if you want to ryde...ryde no matter what the temp is...
    We are at high 30's again today and my road now looks clear of black ice. I am planning on firing up the one more time in a couple hours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We want to see some pictures of that "Low" Sun in the sky...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    We want to see some pictures of that "Low" Sun in the sky...
    Not for the next three days or so. Its all cloudy and overcast.

Low sun: This is sunrise. The sun does not get any higher in the sky but tracks across the horizon from east to west at the same level.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-19-2014 at 03:06 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I warm up my RT by putting on a warmer jacket,and a warmer lid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrowe View Post
    This is my first winter with my Spyder and I plan to continue riding through the winter (as much as I can tolerate) except for the snow/ice/rainy days and salty roads.

I started up in garage today after a couple of cold days (down to the teens) of sitting and when I backed up some anti-freeze was on the floor which I assume drained from the plastic tube underneath. idled for a while with no other drainage. Took for a ride and didn't have any problems. Is the anti-freeze drainage thing normal?

And I have a few other questions....

- Has anyone installed or is it possible to have an engine block heater installed on a Spyder?

- Any idle duration for warming up?

- Other advice
    From the looks of your photo you are driving a '14 so there isn't any real need for a battery maintainer since there is no magneto to worry about. One thing a battery maintainer can do though is stimulate the electrolyte and keep the battery a little warmer. Since batteries lose a lot of their punch in cold weather I think it would be better to warm up the battery than the engine oil. For that reason I would plug in a maintainer.

I drive all year round (although Georgia is warmer than West Va.) but today my temp read out said it was 35 degrees when I left for breakfast. I let the Spyder get off the automatic choke and once it settles down to 1300 rpm I am in gear and moving. I think it is best to warm the engine as it moves although I don't load it until I get at least three bars. By the time I get to the end of my road (about two miles) running at 4500 rpm in 2nd gear I am good to go.

The coolant shouldn't be a problem unless you see it frequently. A Little looks like a lot on the garage floor. It is probably just burping out the overflow but the connections or cap could be loose if it continues. I think you would see the temperature move up rapidly if that was the case however.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies, you've been helpfull. Had to take it in today due to the heated hand grips not working and found loose harness connection so ready again for the freezing temps. Also checked & tightened the coolant lines he was at it.