Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Almost bought it yesterday!

Bottom line..... If you ride anything you always have to be alert and ready!

Video edit explains it... Sorry for my French in the video.

This is why I always wear a camera when on my commute to work!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

you can trust nothing or no one. Think if you had not let him by he might have been the one to buy it...glad you were on your toes and able to handle the idiot..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Almost bought it!

When I read the headline, I thought you test drove a new Spyder. HA!

Glad to see you're ok.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default too close!

Idiot! It is not that that guy is a bad driver - he probably does not have a license, or citizenship, or insurance. He just does not know the laws, and breaks them. Frequently. Sad.
    Naturally, CHP will do nothing about it. Also sad.
    Be careful - the bad ones are everywhere!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    When I read the headline, I thought you test drove a new Spyder. HA!

Glad to see you're ok.
    I thought the same thing.

Spyder Garage

glad you made it through that ok....I understand the rage also
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it through that. They are out there and waiting every time you drive.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

there are days that you just have a bulls eye on your back. i know them well
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob...
    I'm glad that you made it out alive.
    But, when you're doing 61, next to a lane that's doing 25; what did you honestly THINK would happen?
    It was only a matter of time, until some idiot pulled that stunt...
    I'd have moved over another lane to the right (If it was possible), to try and create some safe distance..
    Drive everybody else's vehicle, and you'll get home in one piece.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad all is well, some folks ought to be Bi**h Slapped all day long.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Bob...
    I'm glad that you made it out alive.
    But, when you're doing 61, next to a lane that's doing 25; what did you honestly THINK would happen?
    It was only a matter of time, until some idiot pulled that stunt...
    I'd have moved over another lane to the right (If it was possible), to try and create some safe distance..
    Drive everybody else's vehicle, and you'll get home in one piece.
    Well I agree passing on the right is a problem but this is common on freeways for the HOV lane to get slow in some areas. That is what the double yellow line is there for! People are not suppose to cross that and there are specific HOV exit areas in safe straight lanes for getting out of the HOV lane. Had I been at a HOV exit I would have slowed significantly.

Also had I slowed to the HOV lane speed, the people behind me in the left lane would be pissed off! I would cause a freeway backup.

But, lesson learned. I will be one more lane over when the HOV lane backs up again.

FYI had I been in a car this probably would have been a collision.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Wow, I bet he did not even look in the lane first, just pulled out. I have had this happen years ago on a 2 lane road with no shoulder on our 2 wheeled Vulcan. We swerved, no time to brake, just like your idiot did. I swerved so hard Meg almost got launched off the side of the bike. I was stuck riding between a curb and this idiot. I was so pissed I started kicking the side of his car with my left foot. I then cut behind him after having almost no room between the curb and his car. We finally came up to a traffic light that was red. I got off the bike and started up to the drivers side to have "a word" with him and he actually drove right through the red light, barely missing a turning car. I never did catch up to him, but I bet he will think twice before pulling out in front of a motorcycle again.

Look we all ride and know enough to stay out of drivers blind spots. But I am fairly certain some drivers have the attitude. " well I am a big car and he is just a puny motorcycle so he will stop for me". It just sucks sometimes. I am so glad you were able to swerve and was not injured. It also shows how the Spyder took that swerve very well. Did the stability system have to kick in?

Take Care,
    Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Idiot! It is not that that guy is a bad driver - he probably does not have a license, or citizenship, or insurance. He just does not know the laws, and breaks them. Frequently. Sad.
    Naturally, CHP will do nothing about it. Also sad.
    Be careful - the bad ones are everywhere!

STANDBY FOR MORE OF THEM

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

I don't ever intend to bet my life on the skills, knowledge or good will of another driver if I can help it. I agree with Bob that the situation you chose to be in was likely to result in someone being either angry or dead. I am, glad you are the former rather than the latter. As far as the video camera goes, it might help to convict someone of involuntary manslaughter but it will not breathe life into a mangled body.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The camera is a good idea, it will tend to deter further actions from a$$holes if they think they are being video taped!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    As far as the video camera goes, it might help to convict someone of involuntary manslaughter but it will not breathe life into a mangled body.
    Agree with that but if I die, at least my wife and family will know what happened and take action if needed. It's not about saving my mangled body it's to provide the facts should anything happen.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you're OK

I'm glad you're OK.

Yup...happened to me as well just this summer. Lady was in a truck in the far left lane and decided to make a right hand turn coming up ...cut across my lane and almost clipped my front! BTW...she gave no signal to change lanes whatsoever! I'm sure she did not see me at all until after the fact and I know she heard my horn. She just smiled, kept driving about 1/4 mile and then made her right hand turn - NO CLUE that she could have seriously hurt someone! This happened in the Twin Cities metro area.....

Again, glad you made the move and escaped without injury!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Whoa, that was a really close call. Glad you made it through unscathed.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you made it through that untouched Bob. The person in the car was totally in the wrong. However, the rider in me never would have been in that adjacent lane to begin with. To much of a difference in speed between the two lanes.....and to many idiots on the road.
    I've been in enough near misses along with a few accidents now that I assume everyone around me is going to do something stupid, and try to position myself accordingly.

Again, glad the outcome turned out the way it did!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok, close call..... ..Be safe.....and keep an eye out for the idiots.
    " My Serenity "......2017 Spyder F3T....Silver Gray in color,Red dragon on Celtic cross on frunk,Blade wheels,Spyderpops bumpskid,LED headlights and foglights,Lamonster heim joints,Lamonster powerpoint,F3 Spyder cuff, Lidlocks helmet lock,Lamonster air pack,Ron-jon sway bar,Sara Clark painted thin blue line and Sheriffs badge, Spyderpops LED strobe brake and rear turn signal lights, Lamonster gas cap, bluetooth.
    2017 F3T , silver

Spyder Garage

It just wasn't your time yet. Glad to see everything turned out ok. If I had a dollar for every close call I've had on 2 or 3 wheels, I'd be able to afford an F3!

Spyder Garage

Glad u r ok. Nice evasive maneuver.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

I lived and comuted over 20 years in So Cal. Video didn't startle me at all. You can do 80 to Zero in a heartbeat on any freeway there. That you could find time or dare to one-hand-it while continuing on, tells me it wasn't that unusual to you. and I know those carpool, uh, HOV lanes are brutal.

I get it ! I know the bike rider and car relationship there is adversarial. Please , the Spyder does not the same "escape-ability" as a motorcycle. I'm thankful I no longer have the gotta get there mentality that soaks CA.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Yes I thought you bought a new Spyder, but what you really almost bought was the farm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow Bob that was a close one for sure. We were in So Cal over the weekend and I'm always happy to get out of there alive.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622