Thread: New Helmet

Spyder Garage

Default New Helmet

Looking for new helmets for me and my wife. I have the SENA 20, which helmets would the SENA 20 fit in best?

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Looking for new helmets for me and my wife. I have the SENA 20, which helmets would the SENA 20 fit in best?
    The Wife and i have Shoei Neotech helmets and the Sena 20S installs easily and works great..... Not the cheapest helmet but what is your head worth? REALLY like them, flip down sun shield is the bomb....Go to Cycle Gear and try one on.... they don't fit everyone. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

I'm a big believer that if your going to invest in a helmet then get the best you can afford. Thus with that said, I'd prioritize your search on the safety certifications - all helmets are DOT but only some have the more stringent British certification of SNELL. So my advice would be get a helmet with both certifications for maximum protection. For reference, I have a Shoes RF1100 and have my Sena SMH10R attached.
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

We just picked up the Arai CT-Z 3/4 helmets. For us the most comfortable helmet available, but not cheep. We got a great price from a local dealer that beat on line pricing. As to how the 20s fits I do not know yet, but will be finding out soon.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

When selecting a new Helmet be aware of the manufacture date. Five years after manufacture is not recommended. Most SALE Helmets are approaching the Five year period or are 3-5 years old. When you buy your Helmet ask what the manufacture date is. DOT and SNELL recommendations is the benchmark. If the Helmet is cheap be ware!

Manufacture date is required inside the Helmet or in the case of Arai it is stamped on the strap ring. Or in any case ask the person selling what date the Helmet was made.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that HJC has some, that are designed to take the Sena units...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

the sena will work with any helmet. Search the best fit and spec's. We have the HJC modular but there are many good ones out there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Go somewhere with a good selection . . . and try them all on! Not all helmets are made the same shape and you need a quality helmet that fits your head, properly. Revzilla has a helmet guide and they discuss things like fit and features . . . http://www.revzilla.com/best-helmets-fall-2014-guide

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I've owned a number of Shoei helmets by now, easily used my Sena with all of them. I really love their helmets, best brand I've owned. Been running with the Qwest model for a few years, quiet and comfy all day long. Only wish the GT Air fit me a little better (too rough on my ears), as I'd prefer having the integrated sun visor-- swapping out visors, as easy as it is on the Qwest, is still a PITA.

Shoei makes nice modular helmets, too (like the aforementioned Neotec). They tend to be a bit louder and heavier than pure full-face helmets, however, which may be of concern to any rider (me, I'm a wussy when it comes to wind noise, I want my helmets, when combined with earplugs, to be as quiet as possible).

Once you've got a helmet DOT and Snell certified, anything above that price is buying fit, finish, and comfort, not safety, i.e. you can get a perfectly safe helmet for $100 these days, a $500 helmet is going to be no safer. That said, IMHO never underestimate the importance of comfort, it's TOTALLY worth paying extra for, as a comfortable helmet is a safer helmet-- less fatigue makes a huge difference for a rider's focus when riding long distances.
    Last edited by daveinva; 11-18-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Me and my wife use the Shoei gt air helmets and love them. The 20s works great on them also! Try them on locally before you buy and check out ebay for some good deals.

Spyder Garage

Good advice about go and try them on, make sure you get one that is not to old, and make sure they are comfortable for you.

I have been a user of Nolan Helmets for years now. I like the lift up face plate on the full face and the drop down sun visors on all models.

They have built in set up for the N-com communication system--but we do not use that.

We have Sena SMH10 communicators and they are mounted on the outside of our Nolan N-43 and N-44 model helmets. The Sena units are my favorite out of the 4 brands I have tried.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default NEW HELMET

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor35126 View Post
    The Wife and i have Shoei Neotech helmets and the Sena 20S installs easily and works great..... Not the cheapest helmet but what is your head worth? REALLY like them, flip down sun shield is the bomb....Go to Cycle Gear and try one on.... they don't fit everyone. Good luck!
    get the SHARK EVOLINE 3

BEST MODULAR HELMET OUT THERE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ron YPA View Post
    get the SHARK EVOLINE 3

BEST MODULAR HELMET OUT THERE
    I agree. I have had mine since 09. Will be getting another one this year. Chin piece goes all the way over instead of straight up like others. The only downside I would say at all would be that it can be a little noisy since the chin isnt fully filled in. But ear buds or the radio take care of that.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!