Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Winter riding in Oregon?

So, I'm looking at getting one of these great looking bikes, but I also plan on riding year round (minus the snow and ice). Any suggestions or tips... does anyone ride year round in Oregon?Wi

Spyder Garage

I am a bit farther North than Oregon. A lot of people do ride as much as possible. My gets parked when black ice or snow comes to my road.

I am usually parked from Oct thru Mar. This year I am still riding as of 11/13.

The owners manual states the should not be operated on ice or snow, but there are a few...

The signature picture below showing the snow was 2nd week in May of 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i would hate to ride in ny during the winter, the pot holes from rock salt are like craters here, but a lot of people buy heated under suits and socks and gloves and plug them into the bike and they do keep you pretty warm. here is a start for the gear i have http://www.ascycles.com/Motorcycle-H...Words=kwHeated
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

The folks at Power are good people to work with - that's where I bought my RT. If the sky is clear, I'll ride my RT, but if it's raining or threatening to rain, she stays home.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

I'm in So. Oregon, plan to ride all year (less ice & snow, which is minimal here. So far riding in the rain hasn't been an issue at all, Spyder handles like a car as far as I can tell. I do avoid standing water!
    2013 ST L , Black Current

Spyder Garage

If you ride in the rain, you'll NEED a mud flap - I have the BRP trailer hitch, which includes one... otherwise, the back of the Spyder will be a mess, and is hard to clean up and keep clean.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Went for a nice ride yesterday (57 & kinda dry) - still had rubbish all over the back of the bike when I got home - even with a mudflap... no joy today - too many folks over, and too wet... now the forecast is COLD again... guess we have to take is as we get it...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Another short winter ride

Got to do some riding around The Dalles today. The rain held off till evening and almost no gravel on the road. Was great to be out for awhile. In the low 40s but without the wind it was not to bad.

Spyder Garage

You've got some really great riding areas over there! Not to mention Cousins!!!

Here's a loop for you to try one sunny day: 35 towards 26 to Forest Road 48 (Rt at the pull off at/before the glacier bridge - East side of 35), to Wamac, onto Tygh Valley, then N on 197 to your home. If the weather's nice, a stop at Badger lake is warranted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    You've got some really great riding areas over there! Not to mention Cousins!!!

Here's a loop for you to try one sunny day: 35 towards 26 to Forest Road 48 (Rt at the pull off at/before the glacier bridge - East side of 35), to Wamac, onto Tygh Valley, then N on 197 to your home. If the weather's nice, a stop at Badger lake is warranted.
    Been on that route many times. Great ride. Not sure what lake you mean. I have been into Badger lake also many times and it is a rough road. We ride our atvs into there once a year now with a Forest Service permit. I see 4 wheel drives in there and some cars but I sure would not take my car down that road. This year the ride into that lake is the end of June. Nomac is the name of the atv club I go with. It seems that Cousins is a great cafe to meet friends from out of town at. Give me a holler when you are headed that way and will try to meet up with you.

There is a bunch of us that ride here in The Dalles in the summer time mostly. Usually we meet on Thursdays in the morning for a day ride. There is usually 3 trikes, my spyder and a few other bikes of various makes. A blast.

Spyder Garage

Default Riding everyday!

I have been riding everyday to and from work in the rain, unless I'm sick or have to shop after work. I own some great women's gear to keep me dry and warm. As far as keeping the Spyder clean, any time it rains while I'm at work it gets washed 😜
    The Spyder handles well in the rain just watch the white stripes at intersections. Only issue I've noticed with riding in the rain is your fair weather friends look at you funny! If you need advice on gear let me know as I love mine and my boyfriend rides year round on his F4i as well!
    Enjoy! 😊

Spyder Garage

Default Ride all year

I ride all year in N. Utah. RT doesn't like snow more than 3 inches deep. Shoot, I used to ride my Goldwing all year too. Depends on how much you like riding.

Spyder Garage

Rode 36 country miles to the stealer yesterday - bright sunny & 38 to 40F. Let's hear it for F4 windshields and heated grips!!

She'll be ready to come home today, so I'll take the long way home - out around Silver Falls park, if it's a bit warmer. We're looking to bump 70F today and tomorrow - surly there's some excuse I can use for not mowing the lawn??
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

We have been getting some good rides in here in The Dalles for weeks now. Went to Heppner yesterday making a loop of over a hundred miles each way. Great roads and not much traffic. Have a PGR event tomorrow and probably a short ride after. Then Sunday another loop of about 130 miles thru Grass Valley, Maupin, Wamic and return. Great to see so many riders out and about.

Spyder Garage

Jim;

Have Shawn do the laser alignment, while your RT is at Pro Caliber... it really is worth it.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Jim;

Have Shawn do the laser alignment, while your RT is at Pro Caliber... it really is worth it.
    Thanks will do. Hoping to make it down there before the end of the month.

Spyder Garage

Let me know when you're coming over - I'll see if I can break free to meet for coffee. I'm about as far south as you are east.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Been riding every day for the last week - Don't even think about using the cage. Absolutely terrific weather, for early March!!

Been playing with my new video camera - since it's a cylinder, I'm trying to make sure the camera angle is correct. While I don't like filming through the windshield, I haven't found a satisfactory option yet. I'll post some samples and pics, when I'm done.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Ride in the Rain?

Cat and I are down to one Spyder, her RS. We sold the RT a couple of years ago with almost 40,000 miles on it in two years. . . . if there isn't any black ice on the road, we are game to ride. I am now on a BMW C650GT scooter and just turned over 28,000 miles today . . . . next month I will have owned it two years. We live here in Southern Oregon on 199 heading towards the coast. During the winter, if it is frozen here, we can drive to the coast to warm up. Heated grips and tall windshields help on both the bikes for sure.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black