Spyder Garage

Default Shuddering when starting off

My '13 STS shudders when I apply throttle when first taking it out. Here's the scenario - I Park it at a slight uphill incline in my parking garage; I always let it warm up to 3 bars; I ride it just about every day; and it's serviced only by dealer.

So after warming up I put it into gear (R or 1) and apply light throttle. It's at this point it shutters like the gears aren't lubed or something - it's rough feeling. After I give it a little more throttle it goes fine but it's that first 10 sec that I'm wondering about. Is this normal?
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Shudder

It's possible it could be your purge valve. Have your dealer check it out.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    My '13 STS shudders when I apply throttle when first taking it out. Here's the scenario - I Park it at a slight uphill incline in my parking garage; I always let it warm up to 3 bars; I ride it just about every day; and it's serviced only by dealer.

So after warming up I put it into gear (R or 1) and apply light throttle. It's at this point it shutters like the gears aren't lubed or something - it's rough feeling. After I give it a little more throttle it goes fine but it's that first 10 sec that I'm wondering about. Is this normal?
    Normal for 13 RT so probably for yours also. There is a service bulletin out discussing it.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had the same problem.....things we have done to eliminate the shuttering.....wheel bearings too tight.....helped some....purge valve...did nothing.....replaced clutch system...helped the most.....BRP replaced clutch system and purge valve.....the clutch in the SE5 on the 2013's has been found to have warped plates....talk to dealer and have them talk to BRP about replacing clutch system.....but the ST still shutters and shakes at take off and reverse...just not as bad

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Mine does the same thing. First application of the throttle in gear it will shudder, never again for the rest of the ride. Not too worried about it yet. I do the same thing when I crawl out of bed in the morning.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Ask your dealer to find the service bulletin. The guys at Lamonster Garage gave me a copy of it but I don't know where it is now or I would post it. BRP made a change to the clutch materials for '13 that causes them to shudder. Their suggestion is let the bike warm up and get moving as quickly as possible, i.e, avoid clutch slippage as much as possible. After the engine is warm and oil flowing freely the problem goes away. The comments above are right in line with what BRP says to expect.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Thank you - you've given me some comfort that its not something very different from others. I will be touching base with my dealer about that service bulletin - if I can find it I will post it here also!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    the clutch in the SE5 on the 2013's has been found to have warped plates....

Warped clutch plates have been doing this for years...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I found the copy of the service bulletin related to clutch chattering so decided to append it to this 2 month old thread so it'll be available for all.

Attached Images Attached Images

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

My 2013 ST Limited has done this from the first day I brought it home. Normal.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Ask your dealer to find the service bulletin. The guys at Lamonster Garage gave me a copy of it but I don't know where it is now or I would post it. BRP made a change to the clutch materials for '13 that causes them to shudder. Their suggestion is let the bike warm up and get moving as quickly as possible, i.e, avoid clutch slippage as much as possible. After the engine is warm and oil flowing freely the problem goes away. The comments above are right in line with what BRP says to expect.
    WHAT HE SAID! Same thing on ours. It goes away when warm. Dealer described it as cold oil circulating, or lack there of. Works well when warmed up.
    2013 ST Limited, SE5. Pearl White. BRP Backrest. No Mods!
    North East Illinois.

"Always in question, never in doubt".
    Blessings,
    Andrew

Spyder Garage

My bike does the same thing, but mine is a sm5 2013 rts. It doesn't do it all the time, engine hot or cold doesn't matter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My 2013 ST Limited has done this from the first day I brought it home. Normal.
    Same here. This is normal on the 13's. I just give it throttle and get going. Then it is good until the next time it sits overnight.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Go here to see the service bulletin about clutch chatter. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=clutch

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default So now I see this

Thread has been inactive for some time but my 2011 SE5 with 57K has started the chatter more and more. Temperature independent, oil state independent, as a matter of fact, the mechanic just had it for an unrelated TPS investigation, rode it until warm, and didn't say a word about it. Oh, because I remembered this thread, I asked if the purge valve was functioning normally and he said it was. I am considering trading for a 14 or 15 and don't want this behavior to be a problem come trade time. So, what is the upshot? Is it considered "normal" or is there a purge valve fix that I missed?
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Agree with all of the above, I do warm it up well, but the SmoothSpyder belt tensioner has helped a lot with the "shudder" on my RT
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Go here to see the service bulletin about clutch chatter. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=clutch
    Is that written in English ?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Is that written in English ?
    Was last time I looked at it!!

2014 Copper RTS