Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires and Cold Concrete Floors

Well my RT is all tucked away for a long winters nap.. my question is.. now that I have done everything to be done.. I was wondering about the tires on the cold concrete floor of my garage..

Any thoughts on if it would be better for the tires to be resting on some plywood slabs rather than the cold concrete for the winter? I plan on periodic starts and moving the Spyder around during those.. but..

Just wondering if I am over-thinking the storage..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog603 View Post
    Well my RT is all tucked away for a long winters nap.. my question is.. now that I have done everything to be done.. I was wondering about the tires on the cold concrete floor of my garage..

Any thoughts on if it would be better for the tires to be resting on some plywood slabs rather than the cold concrete for the winter? I plan on periodic starts and moving the Spyder around during those.. but..

Just wondering if I am over-thinking the storage..
    I'm goimg to say no on both starts and move arounds, or plywood. I have never done either one for many many years with no ill effects.

That said, I'm sure someone on this forum will disagree with me and say otherwise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I set mine up on the pads cut from old carpeting...
    I have always started my bike up about once every three weeks... It's probably not good for it, because they never get fully warmed-up...
    But it makes me feel better, to hear it run!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

As far as starting and moving your bike around a bit, you are better off putting it on a battery maintainer.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    As far as starting and moving your bike around a bit, you are better off putting it on a battery maintainer.
    Oh its on a maintainer.. got the end of year/first service.. cleaned.. polished.. etc.. now the wait for warmer weather..
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Start ups do more harm than good. Most people don't let the vehicle run long enough to fully warm the oil and burn all the moisture out of the exhaust system. I think you're better off to fill the tank with gas, add stabilizer let it run long enough for the stabilized gas to circulate though out the fuel system, and hook up a battery tender.
    I work out of state months at a time and I've did this for years, I've had good results using this method. My vehicles always start as if I had parked them the day before.

Spyder Garage

Down here in Tucson we just ride em year around!

Bring em down to az for a winter vacation. They will love you forever and promise never to break down again.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

i just put my bike on a battery tender and walk away. just make sure you have a full gas tank. starting the bike is a bad idea because the motor never really gets up to operating temp and you can form moisture in the engine.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Down here in Tucson we just ride em year around!

Bring em down to az for a winter vacation. They will love you forever and promise never to break down again.

Jack
    Same here in So Louisiana... our winter appears a day or 2 at a time... its cold here today... 42 degrees... but tomorrow fall weather will return suppose to be in the high 60's... man I think I gonna ride tomorrow !

OSM

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

on what makes you feel good...your fine with the regular storage steps..clean oil and filter, battery tender, full tank with stabilizer. The carpet pads are good idea but then the weight on the tires is little just keep pressure up (goes down in cold weather). If you move it and start it up ( run it till the fan comes on and run the rpm's up and down a bit once warm)...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I set mine up on the pads cut from old carpeting...
    I have always started my bike up about once every three weeks... It's probably not good for it, because they never get fully warmed-up...
    But it makes me feel better, to hear it run!
    Spyder therapy
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its a kind of "piss or get off the pot" thing.
    Either start it up and actually ride it, or leave it alone.
    Concrete floors vs. Plywood vs. Carpet etc etc make no difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i just put my bike on a battery tender and walk away. just make sure you have a full gas tank. starting the bike is a bad idea because the motor never really gets up to operating temp and you can form moisture in the engine.
    100%. Unless you can ride it until it hits full oil temp. In cold weather that will be about 20 miles, or until the fans cycle on and off two times (per BRP) it does more harm to your motor. No need to started it until you are ready to ride since you stabilized your gas and have a battery maintainer hooked up..

If you need a Spyder fix before summer you can always sit on it and go veroom veroom
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PLUS THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    on what makes you feel good...your fine with the regular storage steps..clean oil and filter, battery tender, full tank with stabilizer. The carpet pads are good idea but then the weight on the tires is little just keep pressure up (goes down in cold weather). If you move it and start it up ( run it till the fan comes on and run the rpm's up and down a bit once warm)...
    .....But I would get all weight off the tires or pressure them up to at least 45 lbs. to prevent any possibility of flat spotting ...............I'm fortunate in that I built my house with an 8 ft. wide ramp into the basement .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default WINTER STORAGE

I've stored quite afew recreational vehicles in my time and like alot of you people it's a full tank of fuel w/stabilizer,then run it till it's at operating temp to burn all the condensation out of the pipes and muffler and to circulate stabilizer,fresh oil/filter change,plug battery tender in.then pump tires up to about 50lbs.(due to the fact that it gets below 0 here in wisconsin)then give her a big kiss and say"see ya in spring" and I've had no after winter issues with any bike or boat.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just cut some pieces of cardboard from a box to lay under the tires.

Very little fuss and better than nothing.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    Spyder therapy
    You go that right!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here in central North Carolina, we usually get some opportunities to ride every month. If the temp is above 40F, and there is no mess on the roads, we'll ride. It was different when we lived in Pennsylvania, New York, and Rhode Island.

The Spyder is on the battery tender whenever it's not being ridden, no need for any additional winterization.

Hopefully we'll be able to ryde after this current cold spell moves on.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Spyder Garage

Default Tires and Cold Concrete Floors

I agree with not starting it unless you ride it 20+ miles. It was 5 degrees F today and I took my Lightnin' LeeRoy for a 30 mile ride. It has been over a week since I pulled her out of the garage, she wanted to go in a bad way. There was several patches of ice on my side street, but had a great ride.
    Next week temps should be around 15 or and then I'll ride her a little farther.
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry about the tires being on concrete. I know many disagree with starting an engine periodically. I've done it all my life with motorcycles , snowmobiles, cars, lawnmowers, snow blowers, about anything that has an engine.. I don't go starting it when it's -20 or anything, but if it's a nice winter day and I'm in the mood I will run it for a few minutes. If it's nice enough I'll ride the Spyder a mile or two. Does it do it any good? Probably not. But I disagree that's it's going to damage anything.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Tires on plywood here, but that just a personal thing and everyone has there own way of doing things. Think the most important things were mentioned above, gas stabilizer, lube things , etc.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Wonder no more ! You ARE overthinking it. Treat your fuel, put it on the battery tender, and do a complete preflight in the spring. Spend your winter energy keeping your walks and porch clean.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I sure don't understand about putting plywood or cardboard or anything else under the wheels. It is a machine. It doesn't experience cold or any other sort of discomfort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I sure don't understand about putting plywood or cardboard or anything else under the wheels. It is a machine. It doesn't experience cold or any other sort of discomfort.
    This is more the thought of causing flat areas on the tire or dry rot caused by concrete drying out a tire. If we were talking 3-4 months or more I would say lift the tires off the ground w jacks, other than that I doubt you would notice any harm.

...unless of course you were just being funny. Lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    This is more the thought of causing flat areas on the tire or dry rot caused by concrete drying out a tire. If we were talking 3-4 months or more I would say lift the tires off the ground w jacks, other than that I doubt you would notice any harm.

...unless of course you were just being funny. Lol
    just remember the flat spot will only on the bottom, so just ride on the tops
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME