Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 660 question

I noticed that my Zumo 660 GPS elevation is incorrect.... is there any way to update/zero/reset it ?

tia

OSM

Spyder Garage

As far as I know there is not. Following is a quote from the Garmin FAQ section.

How accurate is the GPS elevation reading?

04/14/2014
    GPS heights are based on an ellipsoid (a mathematical representation of the earth's shape), while USGS map elevations are based on a vertical datum tied to the geoid (or what is commonly called mean sea level). Basically, they are two different systems, although they have a relationship that has been modeled.

The main source of error has to do with the arrangement of the satellite configurations during fix determinations. The earth blocks out satellites needed to get a good quality vertical measurement. Once the vertical datum is taken into account, the accuracy permitted by geometry considerations remains less than that of horizontal positions. It is not uncommon for satellite heights to be off from map elevations by +/- 400 ft. Use these values with caution when navigating.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'm not even sure why Garmin puts that in their GPS systems.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredux View Post
    I'm not even sure why Garmin puts that in their GPS systems.
    as inaccurate as my GSP elevation is.. I am not sure either

OSM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    As far as I know there is not. Following is a quote from the Garmin FAQ section.

How accurate is the GPS elevation reading?

04/14/2014
    GPS heights are based on an ellipsoid (a mathematical representation of the earth's shape), while USGS map elevations are based on a vertical datum tied to the geoid (or what is commonly called mean sea level). Basically, they are two different systems, although they have a relationship that has been modeled.

The main source of error has to do with the arrangement of the satellite configurations during fix determinations. The earth blocks out satellites needed to get a good quality vertical measurement. Once the vertical datum is taken into account, the accuracy permitted by geometry considerations remains less than that of horizontal positions. It is not uncommon for satellite heights to be off from map elevations by +/- 400 ft. Use these values with caution when navigating.
    Plus or minus 400 ft takes us here in Florida from over 350ft under water to over a 100 ft above our highest peak... guess that won't be much good for us...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have '12 RT limiteds.

On a trip we have noticed that if my GPS says we are at 2,100 feet hers will read 2,085 or so. Her Garmin is always about 115-120 feet lower than mine.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

On a trip we have noticed that if my GPS says we are at 2,100 feet hers will read 2,085 or so. Her Garmin is always about 115-120 feet lower than mine.
    Yours must be mounted higher on the bike
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

Don't use her gps to land

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCQ_-Id8zI

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings