Spyder Garage

Default Daily Travel Distance ?

So, we purchased a new to us 2011 RT-Limited in Aug., and put about 2500 smiling miles puttering around NW Ohio. Winter is here, so she is in layup mode and the misses and I are looking to travel next season. My question to you that travel via 2 or 3 wheels, how long (miles and hours)do you comfortably ride in 1 day? I/we want to ride the bike, but not feel rushed - IE: if we see something interesting, stop, smell the roses, and continue on. Since we don't normally travel even in 4 wheels much, we want a place to lay our heads at night, meaning we want that hotel reserved before we start out. I am planning a trip around the lower peninsula of MI. and right now, I have us riding 4-5 hours each day (actual ride time, not including smoke breaks, food breaks, potty breaks, sight seeing). Our longest trip this fall has been about 75 miles (150 round trip in 1 day) mainly on 2 lane roads and that is what I am planning for up north as well. Am I expecting the 4 hours of ride time per day to be too much, too little?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a question, that only the two of you can answer...
    When I'm on my own, and heading someplace; 600 mile days are fine...
    The Missus and I have done 400 miles in a day; but it was a long day for her.
    I think that your own bodies, and scheduling priorities will make the decision for you.
    Start short, and ramp up your trips; as your comfort level allows!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob is right, only you know how far you can go. When I am planning a trip I don't usually book rooms in advance. But when I go on a trip I am usually travelling cross country so I might decide to ride 600 miles one day and the next 800. I pick a place to stop for the night at my desired distance and then I also have a backup for closer and one for further.

I would think that 4 - 5 hours riding time per day is doable for just about anybody.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Four or five hours of saddle time is pretty easy for most; it'll depend upon how many stops you have along the way for sightseeing (or shopping, or visiting, or antiquing, or...)
    We've done sixteen hours of saddle time; when we had to be someplace...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yup. what others have already said.

Listen to your butt; it'll tell you when it's time to stop and get off.

4-5 hours is a good starting point, from there you'll be able to gauge your riding style and determine whether you think you can cover more or not.

Also keep that passenger in mind. I know I can do 600-800 miles in a day, but my co-pilot is comfortable with more like 400-500; so it's just a matter of planning accordingly.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Distance

4-5 hours is a good place to start , especially if there is a lot to see and do on the travel route . We pull a tent trailer and camp about half the time switching between hotels and camping , it gives us the option extending our travel budget . My wife (130lbs.),(and a new rider) has done 13 hr. days on her bike but that is a very long hard day , We try to keep it under 400 miles so we can stop and smell the roses and we try very hard to stay off the Super Slabs . Start with short ride and work up .
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride Ryde Ryde on

That's what the RT is built for to ride and to ride long distance. 4 hours daily don't seem like that much to me. I'm not a big long distance rider myself, but from my understanding that's what the RTs are designed for, the long distance rider. Ride on and enjoy your Spyder.

Spyder Garage

From my previous research about 400 miles is average. One thing to do is you'll need to get gas every 120-150 miles so take your time and eat a small protein bar and stretch - heavy meals while traveling makes for a challenging day! Be sure to drink water and stay hydrated!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoLmtz View Post
    From my previous research about 400 miles is average. One thing to do is you'll need to get gas every 120-150 miles so take your time and eat a small protein bar and stretch - heavy meals while traveling makes for a challenging day! Be sure to drink water and stay hydrated!
    400 - 500 is average if you are just going between two points. For the OP I would think that would be further than they would want, or need, to travel in a day. They are going sightseeing not travelling cross country.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am kinda new riding a Spyder... but when I had my 2 previous GoldWings.. i usually rode 700+ miles in a day, a few times over 1000 miles in one day... after getting in the country i want to see, we took lots more time to see what we wanted set out to do.. but don't know if I can cover as many miles per day on my new RT... this spring i'll find out...
    I think long distance riding is up the individual.. their endurance, mental conditioning, & stamina.. its not for everyone.. thank goodness, highways might be too crowded otherwise...
    OSM
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 11-11-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

By myself I have ridden from 850 to 1000 miles a day but my wife has started going with me more and initially her comfort zone is 350 to 400. That leaves us some time for local visits and leisurely dining
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Just did a trip that was 9 hours total. 4 gas stops with about 30 minutes per stop.
    Total saddle time was about 7 hours which I was ready to quit by that point. I could have gone longer if I had to but glad ride was over by that point.

NO WAY could I have done that stock or even with just the comfort seat that I added early on.
    Adding the Air Hawk R and NVB pegs really extended my time I can handle in the saddle. Oh and good tunes

Prior to adding those comforts, 4 hours was killing my rear end!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Your answers will be all over the place depending on who.

I am a more mature person with hip and back issues. Not a problem to much though. Gas stops/pit stops every hundred miles or so, also to stretch the muscles and change position works good for me.

We are blessed with great scenery everywhere, so stopping to "smell the roses" is a great pastime on our trips. These days, a 300-350 mile day is sufficient to enjoy the trip, smell the roses, and arrive at the destination still being able to walk and enjoy the evening.

Many times we have either lunch or supper as the mid break of the trip. That gives a nice one hour or so respite from the grind.

We are also done sleeping on the ground or camping. I sold my camping gear when I could no longer portage my canoe. We enjoy a good hotel, motel, or B & B for our evenings, and when we go to specific locations, we have the reservations made in advance.

Traveling can be fun whether you go for the miles, or just take it a bit easier. Your choice of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default MILES

I am like some others who posted, I've done anywhere from 700mi to 1000 In a day on a Gold Wing, but since I've only had my RT about five months the longest day so far has been 400mi. But look out next year..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default Test ryde..!!

comes to mind. Plan some shorter rydes and work your way up. Or plan a long ryde with no arrival time and adjust your ryde as you go. It will be up to you both. Solo you will do more double up plan on a third to a half less...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As many have said, listen to your bodies. 700 to 1000 miles in a day is bragging territory (personally, 1100+ miles in about 17.5 hours is my tops but I would like to try for 1500!); to do so, however, one is on the super slab, riding super long hours, and/or doing well over posted speeds. Set up the first trip and adjust from there. If one's needs for accommodations are specific, then reservations are a must, especially if visiting a remote location and/or where accomodations are scarce (e.g., near Yellowstone Nat'l Park in the summer), you'll need to book ahead.

We like to go to locations and stay for a couple of days doing day rides while there. Usually we put in longer days to get there and use the next days for more R&R and leisurely rides.

Remember, the weather will always cooperate . Gas stations and other stops will always be ideally located. And your helmet and clothing will always fit perfectly, with no rubbing or chafing or other need for adjustment.

I predict you'll quickly find your stride.

Happy Trails!
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    As many have said, listen to your bodies. 700 to 1000 miles in a day is bragging territory (personally, 1100+ miles in about 17.5 hours is my tops but I would like to try for 1500!); to do so, however, one is on the super slab, riding super long hours, and/or doing well over posted speeds. Set up the first trip and adjust from there. If one's needs for accommodations are specific, then reservations are a must, especially if visiting a remote location and/or where accomodations are scarce (e.g., near Yellowstone Nat'l Park in the summer), you'll need to book ahead.

We like to go to locations and stay for a couple of days doing day rides while there. Usually we put in longer days to get there and use the next days for more R&R and leisurely rides.

Remember, the weather will always cooperate . Gas stations and other stops will always be ideally located. And your helmet and clothing will always fit perfectly, with no rubbing or chafing or other need for adjustment.

I predict you'll quickly find your stride.

Happy Trails!
    Wayne
    I also like your suggestion of "base camping" it. That's is also the way we do it a lot. Since you already have a nice location nailed down, make the most of it and enjoy what the area has to offer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have done some very long rides on our Goldwings but we weren't able to do it to start with. I remember when I thought 200 miles was a long painful day. Later, I remember thinking 500 miles was a fairly easy day. It takes some conditioning to be able to stay in the saddle for 6 or 8 hours running mostly tank to tank with 5 minute breaks (200+ miles on a Goldwing). I have only taken the RT for short ~100 mile rides but I have every reason to believe we will be back doing long and high mileage trips again next spring. I don't think the RT will be as hard on me riding 2 up as my Goldwings.

By the way, the average speed you can travel depends a lot on the road. For example it is hard to average 50 mph on the Blueridge Parkway, not that you would ever want to.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all of you who posted. After discussion with the misses, we like the idea of 'working' our way up to longer rides. I even found a website that gives a radius from 1 location to another based on the number of miles. Instead of a long jaunt in June, maybe it will be Sept.

Spyder Garage

Default Key words I read in OP...

"taking time to smell the roses".....then follow Bob D input. Go as far as you want....I also follow SpyderAnne advice. I figure out what I think I will travel the next day...find and make reservation at room at that distance (always have a cxl by 4 p.m. and no penalty guarantee)...but have closer destinations in mind. Stuff happens..wow a great place to stop, find folks to chat with .. those things that happen when you are "taking time to smell roses". Now when I destination travel whole diff story. I can easily ryde 800+ miles a day...so that is what I target. Have a specific location, motel reserved and go, go, go. Guaranteed when on a distination journey there is NO smelling of roses!!! Whatever you decide, travel as you and your wife want..do it your way, it is your life and your ryde...but always embrace and enjoy the journey. Then you add the joy of Spyder ryding and it is a WINNER trip, no matter how far you go.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Like most everyone has said it is up to you and how you feel. But you also have to take into account the type of roads that you will be traveling on. Interstates a 4 to 5 hour is really nothing but if you are doing two lanes back roads that time could only be 200 miles. Since this is your first long trip I suggest a little planning ahead of time and you will be okay. The last trip I made ( two weeks 3500 miles, the wife and a trailer) I averaged 200 to 300 miles away but I was on two lanes with a lot of curves so average speed was around 40 MPH. Good luck and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

We set 400 miles as our daily goal....200 in the morning ... A long lunch. And the remainder of our goal in the afternoon...tha being said....we've done over 600 in a day , but your ass gets flat...no mater how far you travel

see YA on the road.....

Spyder Garage

Allkinds of answers, only you all can decide. What do you want to stop and see ? two or super slap. When I used to travel a lot, I joined a "hotel Group". Mine is was Choice Hotels. I could close to a city, call the phone number and they would tell where and how much for a decent room. I am not a fan of reservations a head. If you stop a lot for any reason, then you tend to travel past when you should have quit. Just my thoughts
    Good luck and have fun
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner