Thread: Rear shock

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock

Can't find a comfort zone with the rear shock...whether riding alone or with my wife on the back, when the rear wheel hits a bump or a hole, we really feel it. Maybe it's just a bad shock that needs changing. Right from day one it has felt like this. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers my wife. Any shocks I can upgrade to?

Spyder Garage

i keep mine set at two bars, but when i first got my 14 rt i felt every bump and i also felt like the rear end was all over the road. one day i went under the bike on the left side to look for the rear wheel air stem and i saw a linkage hanging not attached to the frame, it was the auto leveling switch. i used a bolt and hooked it up to the frame and all problems solved
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will check that out, thanks...I hope that is it.

Spyder Garage

If you get the spring set for you, it will most likely be too soft when you ride with a passenger. If you set up your rear shock for 2up riding, it will feel like you have wheel hop when you hit a small bump in a corner. I am a very large individual and my rear shock is set at the highest setting. I have decreased my air pressure in the rear tire by 4psi to combat tire wear in the center. When I did that it felt like it helped to reduce the "pogo" effect of the rear spring. Alas this is my own opinion and experience, but if any of it helps you to have a more comfortable ride then life is grand.

Just sayin'..........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default What Year and Model of Spyder?

You didn't say and it may be a warranty issue. I assume you are speaking about the air damper kit and compressor and not the shock absorber itself. First off I suggest you read the instructions in your owners manual about setting it if it has a compressor. If following the instructions has no effect I suggest varying the setting and then checking the pressure in the damper with a gauge at the Schrader valve under the seat. It should change when you vary the setting. If it is a model without a compressor you should be pressurizing the air damper manually to accommodate the load in accordance with the chart in the owners manual or on the label under the seat. Leave the roadster for some time to see if the damper is holding pressure. My information is based on a 2014 RT-S. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a pic of what I see..a brass linkage. not hooked up to one end..I don't know where it goes...the bike is under warranty but if I can fix it at home, that would be cool..799.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, have to make an apt with the dealer...I replaced the missing bolt...better ride but now I have a buzzing sound..constant...not the air sound I hear when adj the suspension but a low pitched buzz...maybe I'll kill two birds at pnce and get them to fix the brake squeal I hear every time I slow down while braking...They told me that was normal...Hope it's not another dealer who just doesn't want to fix things on their dime..I have almost 3 yrs of warranty left.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steversssss View Post
    Well, have to make an apt with the dealer...I replaced the missing bolt...better ride but now I have a buzzing sound..constant...not the air sound I hear when adj the suspension but a low pitched buzz...maybe I'll kill two birds at pnce and get them to fix the brake squeal I hear every time I slow down while braking...They told me that was normal...Hope it's not another dealer who just doesn't want to fix things on their dime..I have almost 3 yrs of warranty left.
    If it makes you feel any better my brakes have squeal from day one. I even tried aftermarket brake pads which resulted in a lower noise squeal.
    If you clean the around the pistons in the brake caliper it will stop the noise for a few miles.
    Me I just ignore the squeal.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    If it makes you feel any better my brakes have squeal from day one. I even tried aftermarket brake pads which resulted in a lower noise squeal.
    If you clean the around the pistons in the brake caliper it will stop the noise for a few miles.
    Me I just ignore the squeal.
    Check to see if it is the air compressor is running all the time.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Check to see if it is the air compressor is running all the time.
    It is the brakes. Air compressor works as it should.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Glad to see you found what is most obviously a problem. Save the picture to show the dealer what you found.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S