Thread: 2014&2015 RT

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014&2015 RT

I am sold on the idea and the value of upgrading from my 2012 RTL. But the wife is not sold. Are there any added value or features for the passenger?

Scott

Spyder Garage

Default I'll be watching

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post
    I am sold on the idea and the value of upgrading from my 2012 RTL. But the wife is not sold. Are there any added value or features for the passenger?

Scott
    I'll be watcing for the replys to this post. I have a 2011 RTL that I'm looking at trading in.

Spyder Garage

Default Time to step up people

There are probably thousands of people hoping for the correct answers to convince their better half it's time to upgrade. Come on people, it's time to step up and be creative for the sake of all of us who would say anything to be able to trade in and trade up.

Remember to live before you die.
    Last edited by Ben Burped; 11-08-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RT vs my 2014 RT

The 1330 has more power - HP & torque. There's no driver or passenger excess heat. It's faster and easier to check fluids, and there's far less maintenance (will pay the difference over time!! ) Finally, the brakes are much better than my 2010.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as my 2010.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Less Frequent Gas Ups

Increased mpg means increased convenience for your wife in that she won't have to get off as frequently while you gas up.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just traded up from a 2013 to get away from the awful gas fumes and some heat. Many improvements i.e.: 180-200 miles before gas stops. completely different suspension and steering. very smooth in the turns and cruise. Will your wife like it? You better believe it. If you have not ridden one do so. You will both love it.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 11-09-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Try This

Explain to her that just seeing how happy you are with the trade up that it will make her happy just seeing you like that. If you get this to work let me know how you did it!!!!

2014 RT Limited, #0085 Silver Platinum Satin with Black Seat
    Spyderpops Bump Skid Plate, Belt Guard, IPS, SS Knott Grilles,
    Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Passenger Arm Rest, 3 pc Lid Net Set,
    Smart Mount Driver Backrest, Windshield Dash Pouch System,
    TRICLED Blinkers and Brake Lights.
    Too Many Toys and Not Enough Time!!

Spyder Garage

Scott
    I posted this Feb 2014 when I 1st got my 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6; (added updates now).
    2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 First day 250 mile ryde report

Note: Nov 1, 2014 now have 14,000 miles, with a Magnaflow muffler for a deep mellow sound of awesome 1330cc triple motor.
    Update: March 1st
    , First month: With 2100+ miles, awesome torque, motor broke in, runs strong, quiet, smooth power, a real pleasure to ryde!!!
    Gas mileage 32-37 mpg 1st 2100 miles; 175+ miles per tank.
    Note: now get 39-45 mpg. (your wife will enjoy).
    Disconnected analog fuel & water temp gauges.
    Using vertical digital bars, seem more accurate.
    Awesome 1330cc in-line triple motor-quiet, smooth, powerful torque from idle on up rpms; motor sweet spot 2500-4000 rpm; 5,000-6,500 rpm very powerful; 3900 rpm is 75 mph!!!
    Awesome SE6 trans smooth shifting, seamless!!! (your wife will enjoy).
    Very good stock suspension-shock springs stiffer/firm dampening (a 35 mph posted corner taken at 65 mph-no nanny!!
    Very stable on freeway-feels planted, no moving around passing trucks. (your wife will enjoy more stable ride).
    Update: Put on my 2012 stage 5 Elka front shocks, 325# Eibach springs, RT is even more stable in corners!!!
    Update: Put on my modified Russell seat (10 times more comfortable than modified stock seat, in my opinion).
    BRP vented windshield put on, big improvement of air flow to mid section.
    (Note: this 2014 Pearl White RT-S SE6 ryde was in comparison of 32,000 miles on 2011 RT-S SE5 & 2013 RT-S SE5 with Elka shocks)!
    So, what are you waiting for?
    Run-don't walk to buy 2014 or 2015 Spyder RT-S/L SE6; they are that big of improvement over previous RT's (Len at Pitbull Powersports Springfield, Mo 417-863-1418 is waiting your call for order)!!!!
    I can see how Doc in Florida now has 25,000 miles + already, you just don't want to get off!!!!
    Hope this helps everyone with my hands on info in 9 months.
    We can all thank Lamont, Fred and others for their honest accurate input to BRP to build the 2014 RT in-line Triple 1330 awesome motor-SE6 trans, longer fuel range!!!!
    Thanks BRP company-you have built a winner in my humble opinion!!!!
    Enjoy your rydes.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 11-09-2014 at 01:59 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new factory seats are more comfortable...
    The speakers seem to be much better...
    Beyond that; most of the changes have been aimed at the operator of the bike.
    But what changes they are!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

you will have to push the other changes and advantages. As far as passenger changes nothing convincing. The better mileage, much less maintainence, colors, warranty, power, less vibrations etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good Start / Keeping it coming

We have a good start here to convince my wife to relinguish the funds for a 2014 RTL. Keeping it coming, she is weakening. I can see it in her eyes. Or maybe that disgust I see. Either way I'm wearing her down.

Spyder Garage

Well, it may come down to the cash outlay. I did go from the "S" to a "Base", but really don't miss a thing, and saved a ton of cash.

I purchased my 2010 for $21K delivered, and rode it for three years - and sold it for $18.5K. Bought my new '14 for $18.5K - OTD, with the full extended warranty. So, over three years, my Spyder depreciated $2,5K, and I got a straight swap for my '10 to '14. Yes, I was without a Spyder for most of 2014, until the End of the Year deals, but it was worth the wait.

Had I opted to go with the "S", the deal would have cost me another $4.5K, and I deemed it not worth the extra cash. So, the bottom line is that the '14 cost me $2500 - you have to assume the money you have in your current bike is a "sunk cost", rolling it into a new ride.

Just my way of justifying the purchase...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

For my wife, in upgrading from a 2010 to a 2014, it was simply that she found the ride to feel better. There are a number of reasons for that, of which the 1330 engine is likely the most important (I've found that it makes the biggest difference with two of us riding), but for your wife it may simply be a question of how it feels to her.

My suggestion? Take her on a test ride if you possibly can. That's what persuaded me in the first place that I wanted to upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Better Ride

More comfortable seat

No heat problems

Less Maintenance

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Not from personal experience..............

During my F3 demo ride at Daytona, a couple rode the 2015 RT they had available. In speaking with the wife prior to the ride, she said they had looked at RT's before but, as a passenger, she didn't like the way it felt or rode. After the demo ride (30 minutes), I ask her if the 2015 felt better. She smiled and said, "Yes, much better and we will probably be buying one."

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SAVING A BUNCH OF MONEY

Scott
    ...I have a 2014 basic RT......It's everything I've ever wanted ( with my up-dates ) .......Nothing worth the money for on the 2015 ......Get a leftover 2014 RT and Save a Ton of money......I changed to JBL 2 OHM speakers five months ( $ 100 for al 4 )......and that Totally solved the sound issues with the OEM radio....JMHO ,Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The nicest change that I've seen on the 2015s: the re-appearance of the "Frunk-Button"!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    My 2010 RT vs my 2014 RT

The 1330 has more power - HP & torque. There's no driver or passenger excess heat. It's faster and easier to check fluids, and there's far less maintenance (will pay the difference over time!! ) Finally, the brakes are much better than my 2010.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as my 2010.
    My first spyder was a 2012RTS-SE5 ( Kept it for 2 years) then took a demo ride on a 2014RT-SE, everything that is mentioned above about the 2014, also, better gas mileage, 6 speed, smoother ride and better efficiency. more exhilaration and more control, fewer fill-ups. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Akspyderlady rode 10,000 miles as a passenger on my 2010 before I got her one to drive by herself. She always said the ride was like a Cadillac. I had a Corbin seat installed on the 2010.

The 2014 has a better seat than the 2010 OEM so I would say passenger seating has been upgraded.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the ideas and information. I will keep dropping hints all winter and see where we are come spring.

I had heard that on the 14 you can use cruise control will towing a trailer. Is that true?

Scott

Spyder Garage

Sell her on the idea she needs one for herself and make the move to get you 2015. Then You can join the 2 Spyder family club. Plus you can take 2 of the kids with you if needed.
    Bryan

Spyder Garage

Default I used cruise control all the time...

Thanks for all the ideas and information. I will keep dropping hints all winter and see where we are come spring.

I had heard that on the 14 you can use cruise control will towing a trailer. Is that true?

Scott
    on my '13 and now on my '14, while towing a trailer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk