Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Suction mount to windshield

Wondering if anyone has tried mounting a phone or GPS to the windshield using a suction mount? Did it work? How good does it stay?

I am thinking to mount my iPhone to the windshield so I can glance at it instead of looking down to check navigation. Plus, when I use Waze, I like to see what problems are ahead.

Thanks

Susie
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I'd be too chicken to do that. If it falls off in a car, it just falls on the floor. On a Spyder....

Trb--

Spyder Garage

Default Suction mount

I mounted an old TomTom gps to my windshield and rode from Texas to Missouri and back and had no problems. left the mount attached after my trip with no gps attached, it finally released on its own mid August, so April to August with no problems.
    2016 F3T SE Pearl White
    Purple powder coated wheels
    Performance sway bar
    LED headlights and fog lights
    Short Reach handlebars
    2010 RT A/C SE traded in

Spyder Garage

Default YUP

YUP, SURE DID.......
    i mounted a sports camera... didn't feel real comfortable about it, so i made a lanyard for it... thank God i did... for when i pull into Fontana for the rally a few weeks back, i hit a poll-hole and the thing 'un-sucked'.... if it weren't for the 'lanyard', the camera would now be in the trash can....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Look into JT's dash mount system. It will do what you want without the risk of the unexpected release.
    Bryan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thinking of using a RAM twist lock suction mount. I'm also going to attach a safety cable to the windshield bolts that will catch the mount if it pops off. My only other idea is to drill holes into the top of the dash and that bugs me.

Thanks for the comments.

Susie
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Works great..!!

if you get it in just the right place. A lanyard is a must just in case you missed the spot. I put a ram ball and use different length arms...20130228_115823.jpg this is more secure but do use the go pro eith the suction on the outside of the windshield...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Look into JT's dash mount system. It will do what you want without the risk of the unexpected release.

This x 100000000. It just plain works and super easy to install

Spyder Garage

Default Works for me.

I have used my passport 9500ix radar detector as long as I have had my Spyder. I use the accessory mount and leave it attached over the left windshield mount at all times. That way the windshield can be raised and lowered without having to relocate anything. This has worked well for 3 years so far. However, I do remove the mount and clean it when I clean the windshield just to make sure everything is clean and airtight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish I could get TH's mount but I have an ST and there really isn't a good spot to mount anything. Thx
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I'm not as familiar with the ST dash, is there no good place to put a RAM mount? That would be the safest bet...

Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Thinking of using a RAM twist lock suction mount. I'm also going to attach a safety cable to the windshield bolts that will catch the mount if it pops off. My only other idea is to drill holes into the top of the dash and that bugs me.

Thanks for the comments.

Susie
    Sue...I use the Ram mount suction cup, but not on my windshield. They are VERY strong in suction. There should be no issue as long as you tether it...this way if the suction fails, you still have your equipment, dangling, albeit. On the next ride, check out my setup for ideas. Suction works pretty much on any surface of the Spyder, but it is a bit chancy without a tether. Good luck to you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yeah you're right I wouldn't do anything without a tether. All my gadgets have tethers. I don't take any chances! :-)

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have mounted a go pro camera to the windshield and other parts (trunk, saddlebags) with the suction mount and no tether -- been just fine

I have seen videos with go pro using the suction mount only at speeds over 100 mph and they stayed on.