Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Hey BRP👂👂👂👂👂👂

I posted this to BRPs Facebook page tooooo..

I'm a HUGE fan and just ordered my second Spyder,,, an F3s 😎 If I could make a suggestion it would be : How about you guys price these things better at the beginning of the year instead of the up to $4,000 off at the end of the year,,, that way your customers who have already taken the 1st years depreciation hit don't have to take another $4,000 hit.. If BRP can sell these things for $4000 less at the end of the year,, they can sell them for $2000 less at the beginning of the year and still be good!!! Taking a $10,000 bath on a product that costs $30,000 plus is a LIL MUCH... One more thing you guys have officially gone above and beyond the call of silly with your accessory prices!!! I thought H-D BMW were bad but you guys have raised the bar... Over $500 for a backrest??? Over $1200 dollars for side luggage that would still be toooo much money even if it held more,,, which it doesn't... Seriously BRP,,, try to not beat the crap out of your customers and their wallets 😃 There's enough money to be made without the over charging on products that you as a company seem to be getting WAY to comfortable with... Ease up on us,,, will ya...

Spyder Garage

Looks like some good suggestions to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Essentially, what you are saying is why not just charge $2000 less overall. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that there wouldn't be enough profit left to make it worthwhile to make these with that kind of a discount. They aren't beating us up by offering a(n often predictable) $4000 discount - they do that specifically because they have inventory to sell off, and they only offer that price on what is left unsold. If you can wait till the end of the season and don't mind last year's models, and you're willing to chance what is left, the discounts are yours.

Would you feel better if they just gave a $2000 discount on that product that they need to clear out?

I have noticed that they're still trying to move 2013's (with good reason on the RT's), and I don't know if we'll see that level of a discount on the 2014's or not (after all, the Spyders seem unchanged except for the colors).

Here's the thing - they are in business to made the best product they can sell at a profitable price.

Now, on the F3 accessories, I do hope that they reconsider their price points, but if they don't then I have a feeling there will be far more aftermarket competition for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Looks like some good suggestions to me.

It's just truth / not meant to be antagonistic at all.. I love Spyders 😎

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,
    I believe that you believe that...
    But if you expect them to "give away the store"; how long can they remain in business?
    "Good", is rarely cheap...
    But "cheap", will make you realize how much "Good" is truly worth!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They'd hardly be giving away the store by selling the spyders up front at a lower price point vs fire sale pricing 7 months later.. As for the accessory pricing,, I doubt anyone can argue that it's a great bang for anyone's buck..

Spyder Garage

This post,,, while some may not agree with it,, speaks to some of the concerns that many have.. Don't think for a minute that these have not been communicated from the consumer and dealer to BRP,,, especially after the last two model years..The more birds singing on the fence / the louder the song.. Again,, this post was / is not meant to be inflammatory...

Spyder Garage

Your good Mike! You are never going to please all the people all the time. Heck, sometimes here, you cannot please anyone.

The price points scare a lot people, but not everyone. I have backed off of "genuine" accessories pretty much big time. Like you, I have still been happy enough with the product to buy more than one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have to agree with Mike, especially on the accessories! They are way over priced, most of the mods I have done are aftermarket for that reason. They could easily make them a bit more affordable and still make money! As for their clothing, it is all made in China,(most of it anyway)so you can be sure they are making a crap load of cash there!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I don't think they can make stuff cheaper, I don't think that is even an issue. The issue is the price is just too high for what they are trying to sell. 99.00 for a license plate...really. I got my chrome , engraved solid frame at the fair, $12 bucks for my bike. I just don't understand how one expects to pay 3-6 times more than what competitor's after market products go for. I have the F-3 accessory book. There is nothing I will order from it, Using the WAG method to price is ridicules.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

there are two ways of making money...sell a few for a lot of money or sell a lot for a little money. If they are ordering minimal amounts they will be paying high dollar. Would explain the lack of stock and the high price on parts and acc's. They know they have a short time before the aftermarket guys get into the mix. The problem now is the aftermarket guys will also be high priced if they don't have high sales. I have been in R&D and manufacturing and know they are out of line on their pricing...jmo...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    This post,,, while some may not agree with it,, speaks to some of the concerns that many have.. Don't think for a minute that these have not been communicated from the consumer and dealer to BRP,,, especially after the last two model years..The more birds singing on the fence / the louder the song.. Again,, this post was / is not meant to be inflammatory...

Have to agree with Mike, BRP should take notes!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if BRP can still make a profit at the end of the year taking $4,000 off... Mike has a valid point..

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if BRP can still make a profit at the end of the year taking $4,000 off... Mike has a valid point.. and I totally agree.... BRP's accessories are way over priced..

Spyder Garage

Anyone that thinks BRP is not making a substantial profit with the $4000 is contributing to the problem. Looking at BRP sales report they are continuing to increase profits (just like the oil companies). Yes, BRP just as any business is operating to make a profit. However there is a breaking point on all products that the consumer shuts down. I for one would be very interested in the F3, but I can not justify spending that kind of money for what your getting. What your getting for the money is what needs to be thought about. You can buy a nicely optioned brand new car/truck for the same price or cheaper than a Spyder.... I know, I know... it's a volume pricing thing. The auto companies can sell their product for less because they sell more of them. Well for all of those that think that way, I agree! So bring your prices into check and increase the motorcycle market share. BRP is not a start-up company. They have been making other recreational equipment for years. I also agree that a company needs to make a certain profit to continue business. However when your product is priced so it can only be marketed to a small share of the market what do you think is going to happen? I know they also make the LearJet, but I can't afford it either. At the price point BRP has and continues to increase with little market growth they are only opening the door for competition to build something similar at a much lower price point.

Spyder Garage

There are a couple of us cost accountant types here. I won't bore you with technical details as we have actually done some of that in another thread which will remain nameless.

Pricing on new items is generally based on making profit X. All the costs are input and then, the selling price is determined. The price is then compared to other products on the market and they determine "what the market will bear." That is usually the price that hits the streets. If something is "new and wonderful," then you can expect the "what the market will bear" price early on or continuing if they get away with it.

The companies do this to recoup their R & D costs as they are required to expense them as they are incurred. Lots of R & D equates to less profit on the bottom line as the products are being developed.

Accessories have always been very high margin and that is where the company "makes its gravy."

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's simple: don't buy one, if you don't think that you're getting enough value for your dollars...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's simple: don't buy one, if you don't think that you're getting enough value for your dollars...
    I for one will not be spending $20,000+ for a entry level F3.

Spyder Garage

I know more than just a little about this too,,, I've been involved in the manufacturing industry for over 40yrs,,so please don't mistake this as a willy nilly rant.. Like every topic there will be those that agree and those that don't... To Bob Denman ,, your take it or leave it tone with many of your posts including this one is just silly... Many have stated these concerns in different threads for some time now... You don't like the topic of the post,, that's fine but don't act like the post nazi just to run your post count up!!! Like I said n I'll say it one more time for BOB / the post was not meant to be a fire starter so don't make it one with your all or nothing / Take it or leave it "Tude"

Spyder Garage

I think that is happening a lot these days. The entry level is still at $16K. There is a lot of stuff--two wheels--that is pretty top line for a bit less. If you want three wheels though--we are in both the low and medium price range. The does have a lot more amenities for the buck--if you compare three wheels to three wheels.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Entry Level

When it comes to brand new trikes at the entry level, the new stripped-down Harley Davidson trike is about $25,000. There is a Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer about 25 miles from here selling Kawasakis with Lehman trike kits on them. The entry level with those is a Vulcan 900 triked out for $16,000 to $18,000 and the top of the line Vulcan Voyager trike is about $31,000. I guess it depends on what your idea of entry level is and where it's made. Comparing conventional trikes to Spyders is still apples to oranges in my opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

It depends on why you're buying a trike in the first place.

If like me you're a 'dyed in the wool' biker who can no longer safely ride a big bike then a trike is very high on your list of priorities.
    On the other hand if buying a trike is merely an addition to your 'toys' then, perhaps, the importance of having one in your garage is somewhat less.

In the UK I can buy a small but well appointed new car for less than what a Spyder costs and it would be cheaper to run and maintain but
    I have to own a bike and until I can't swing a over one that's how it will be.

The price of the F3-S over here is a little under $30k (£18,400) and I'm in no way a wealthy person so it represents a HUGE expenditure for me.
    I lose around 10% of that figure the moment I start it for the first time (tax+depreciation). I don't have any family though so I only have to worry about
    me.

The Spyder is a luxury vehicle and no-one actually needs one any more than anyone needs a Ferrari!
    Very few people have one as their sole mode of transport, thus BRP are catering to a niche market and can charge as much as people
    are willing to pay and at that point value goes out of the window.
    There are really no alternatives. As den1953 said comparing an HD or in fact any converted bike to a Spyder is 'apples and oranges'.
    Last edited by OJ UK; 11-09-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Have to agree with Mike, especially on the accessories! They are way over priced, most of the mods I have done are aftermarket for that reason. They could easily make them a bit more affordable and still make money! As for their clothing, it is all made in China,(most of it anyway)so you can be sure they are making a crap load of cash there!
    I was about to mention prices and "China" but you beat me to it. The margins must be huge using China as a manufacturer.

Spyder Garage

The prices of goods are set at what the market will bare. If the prices are, or seem to be too high, then the market should let the seller know by not buying the product. As a comparison, check out the Corbin saddlebag price! They have more storage, but the price difference is $500 more than the BRP bags. Our first Spyder, a 2008 GS, the passenger back rest was $650 installed. I am not saying I am in agreement about the BRP prices, just that we have some leverage as to what they will charge, If we are patient some good quality after-market goods will provide us with what we want.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Polaris plays the Same Game

BRP isn't the only player using Asian/Third World suppliers for clothing & accessories. I've bought quite a few Victory clothing items at my dealer and they're all made in China or Vietnam or some other third world source. Harley Davidson is probably the all time king of this type of marketing. Anymore these days it's becoming the way business is done period. Outsourcing has pretty much left much of the USA with tens of thousands of shuttered factories and millions of displaced workers either jobless or working for lower pay. I'll just let it go at that and avoid any kind of arguments.