Thread: Steering play

Spyder Garage

Default Steering play

I noticed that when the Spyder is turned off (key removed) there is a bit of play in the steering (wheels do not move at all) - like something is loose. Anyone else see this, or am I just hyper sensitive??
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I noticed that when the Spyder is turned off (key removed) there is a bit of play in the steering (wheels do not move at all) - like something is loose. Anyone else see this, or am I just hyper sensitive??
    Me too>
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hyper-sensitive: Once the bike is fired up; the DPS takes all of the slack out of the system, and it'll work just fine...
    But that's cool... it's good to get to know your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not mine. Mine is tight.
    It's what make it nice to ride with the dps shut down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Mine also it has 3/4" of play the slop in the steering kneel dealer got ahold of BRP & they checked one in there shop they were 5/8" to 3/4" so they said that night be ok keep a look at it & if it starts leaking grease then have it replaced.

Spyder Garage

Default mine too

I noticed the little play in mine when shut off in the garage. I need to pay attention to it though when it is running to see if it is still there. I was at my dealer and checked some on the show room floor and they also had the play in the bars. Not much but a half inch of movement or so. Maybe I just never noticed it in my '10 Rt.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

in the new f-3 technical presentation, where steering is addressed, they speak of a new single u joint set-up... i am guessing your bike may have more than one u joint... if so, it would explain extra play... listen to the tech presentation and see if i am assuming correctly... even if there is but one u joint on your bike, it sounds like they are addressing the issue of too much steering play........ good luck ....

Spyder Garage

You may be right about not noticing it on the 2010 - doesn't seem to be a handling issue at all. Time will tell. Since I can't say anything good about the F3, I'll leave it at that.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i can't say anything good about the f-3.. yet... i will have to wait until i test drive one... it seems though, there is almost a little resentment with current owners of spyders.. my guess is that a lot of problems that the former models have, are addressed in the f-3.. some examples might be... heating issues.. (now larger radiators)..fire issues.. (relocating the master cylinder res.)... also a larger gas tank that is now vented, with tip over considerations... the new fuel pump.. there are many comments on "noisy fuel pumps" ... personally, i want to see if the 1330 engine (95% the same as the 2014 rt) has addressed the noisy (although very temporary) lifter noise.. to me, that doesn't seem right.. one of my favorite bikes is a 1984 naked goldwing, with hydraulic lifters.. no noise there, on start ups... just sayin' .....

Spyder Garage

I noticed a small bit of play in my 2010 RTS and found that all play removed after the Spyder was started and the DPS initiated.
    I've found the same thing with my 2014.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have seen and had a test ride on a F3... not for me.

All of the issues I had with the 990 version have been addressed with the 14. As long as the fuel pump works, I'll run it, and the 14s don't have a heat issue at all...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member