Thread: "E"

Spyder Garage

Default "E"

Out on a great ride today, little cool, 55, but bright and sunny. Anyway leaving my friends house shifting through the gears as usual I get the letter E on the gear position indicator. Best I recall I was going from 4th to 5th when this happened. Haven't check the manual yet. Any thoughts ? 2014 RT SE 6

Spyder Garage

This also happens to me and it seams to happen when I try to shift at a too low RPM range, or when I shift to quickly as I go through the gears - as in trying to go down the road fast.
    When I take my time and make sure to be above 1800 RPM when I shift I have not had an E.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Used to get e ... Figured out needed to let idle a couple seconds longer and never get. If I rush get the E and sometimes will even "die"..no issue to start and go!!! Thinking peculiar to "14 SE. Never had on '10 SE
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gear position sensor may be bad. I get it every once in a while on my SM6, usually if I have to make a quick stop and don't have enough time to downshift through the gears.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I've gotten it a couple of times when riding in Eco mode and running up a good bit past the shift point and after the upshift arrow shows on the multi-function gauge -- but not over-revving the engine. The cause, listed on pg. 144 of my manual, says "Gearbox position sensor malfunction" and under "What to do" it says, "Stop vehicle and allow to reach neutral. Have vehicle repaired by..." It's a 3,000 mile service inquiry question for me as I've never had to stop the vehicle, just shifted up and neither the "N" nor"R" indicator lamps have ever been flashing as the first column of the malfunctions table says should be happening to the indicator lamps.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's an intermittent "E", with normal transmission function still intact; I would think that the sensor just got itself a bit confused over a shift...
    It can happen.
    I would monitor the situation, and carefully note the dates, mileages, and conditions surrounding the ride. If it turns out that there's more to this ; any information that you give to the dealer, can be helpful.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only time or 2 that I got the "E" was when I shifted very quickly, as in within a second of the prior shift.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Two or three times here. Usually after starting up in more of a hurry than usual. The computer don't like to be rushed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mine did that intermittently for a while and then got progressively worse. The sensor went bad. Took a couple of months to get really bad. Inside is a plastic D shape thing...mine looked like an O when they replaced it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black