Thread: sena

Spyder Garage

Default sena

I'm urinated off!
    I've been messing with my Sena SMH10 for a while now trying to get audio and communications.
    I sent in a ticket the other day and they informed me that you can't have both, even though I'm also using the SM10.
    I was told that the SM20 you can. is this true? Is there any way to make the SMH10 work?
    I just bought these less than 3 months ago.
    Stefan
    P.S. Dave let me know how much it would cost for the 20S dual. if it will do what I expected.

Spyder Garage

Default Sena Also

I have the SMH10 and the SM10 and connected to my helmet is my phone - GPS - AM-FM-XM Radio and Intercom. My wife's headset is connected to her phone - radios - and intercom. If you need to talk further, feel free to PM me and see if I can be of any assistance.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the pairing process broken down easier than the manual....fyi...hope it helps.

Here's the pairing process broken down easier than the manual....fyi...hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The procedure for pairing that Jim&Teresa is a good one and should work.

The SMH10 is able to connect by BT to only one audio device in stereo and three hands free devices in mono. It will connect to 3 other Sena headsets with intercom mode as well. That totals up to 7 devices. What more are you trying to do?
    Last edited by billybovine; 11-05-2014 at 11:12 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This is strange, as I have called Sena a couple of ties over the last year, and have found them to be very knowledgeable & helpful. The SM 10 Dongle & SMH10 helmet sets work well once everything is all paired up. I have in my helmet speakers GPS, Phone, iPod, AM/FM Radio, & Intercom. Couldn't be happier.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

from Sena
    Tristan, Nov 03 04:28 PM:
    Hello,
    Again, the SMH10 can only use one function at a time. If it were connected to the SM10, if the SM10 has two inputs in there, you can hear them both because it's technically from one source (the SM10). But you cannot use the SM10 and the intercom at the same time. The intercom would override the SM10 because it has a higher priority.

Regards,
    Tristan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    from Sena
    Hello,
    Again, the SMH10 can only use one function at a time. If it were connected to the SM10, if the SM10 has two inputs in there, you can hear them both because it's technically from one source (the SM10). But you cannot use the SM10 and the intercom at the same time. The intercom would override the SM10 because it has a higher priority.

Regards,
    Tristan
    I think all this SENA tech is saying is that you're listening to one thing at a time even though several items can be bluetoothed to your helmet. The SM10 allows your radio to play through your SMH10 and when you press the intercom button, it shuts the radio off so you can talk to the other person you are using the intercom with. That's all...I don't see a problem here. When I get a phone call, the RT's radio (via the SM10) cuts out and then my phone call is active. When I sign off the phone call, my radio comes back.....

Maybe I missed something! Good luck. SENA tech's are very helpful, but you have to wait on hold for awhile to get ahold of one (my wait time has been about 10-15 minutes). When they answer, they really know their stuff. Here's the SENA toll free number in case you need it: 866-300-1235...I think they are in the San Jose, CA area so time your call accordingly.

BTW...I have had our set about 1 1/2 years and they still work great!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 11-05-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

from Sena
    Hello,

Regards,
    Tristan
    That's exactly right. So why is that a problem?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

from Sena
    Hello,

Regards,
    Tristan
    Not sure what you want here, if you are using the intercom do you want music to play at the same time?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

from Sena
    Hello,

Regards,
    Tristan
    That's how it's supposed to work.

You can't have music and comm at the same time. If you're listening to music, and you hit comm, music is "muted" during the conversation. Same with phone. Music is the lowest priority in the chain, so anything else will override it.

I'm not sure if there is even a wired system that will allow what I think you are wanting. My wired chatterbox would override music when comm was activated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Not sure what you want here, if you are using the intercom do you want music to play at the same time?
    That is what the Sena 20 does, or is supposed to do. You can keep the intercom open and still hear your music, when one person speaks the music volume goes down. At least that is what mine did for a while anyway. Now when someone speaks the volume on the music stays at full volume. I'm not loving the Sena so far. One of my units quit working and I while I waited over a week for a return email from Sena, they said they were overwhelmed with help requests , I left on my trip using Joe's headset. I talked to a Sena rep at the Las Vegas Bike Fest and he couldn't get it to work either and wouldn't swap it out for me (the Scala rep swapped out microphones and speakers for me on a 3 year old unit). When I got home from my trip I decided to try plugging the unit in again, before deciding if I wanted a refund or replacement, and now it works.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The procedure for pairing that Jim&Teresa is a good one and should work.

The SM10 is able to connect by BT to only one audio device in stereo and three hands free devices in mono. It will connect to 3 other Sena headsets with intercom mode as well. That totals up to 7 devices. What more are you trying to do?
    It is the 660 and 665 GPS that will only allow Bluetooth in stereo to one Sena headset at a time not the Sena.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That is what the Sena 20 does, or is supposed to do. You can keep the intercom open and still hear your music, when one person speaks the music volume goes down. At least that is what mine did for a while anyway. Now when someone speaks the volume on the music stays at full volume. I'm not loving the Sena so far. One of my units quit working and I while I waited over a week for a return email from Sena, they said they were overwhelmed with help requests , I left on my trip using Joe's headset. I talked to a Sena rep at the Las Vegas Bike Fest and he couldn't get it to work either and wouldn't swap it out for me (the Scala rep swapped out microphones and speakers for me on a 3 year old unit). When I got home from my trip I decided to try plugging the unit in again, before deciding if I wanted a refund or replacement, and now it works.
    Ok now I understand, I have the 10 unit and it is one at a time. I guess he needs the 20.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    It is the 660 and 665 GPS that will only allow Bluetooth in stereo to one Sena headset at a time not the Sena.

Jack
    Sorry, that was a typo on my part I was talking about the SMH10 headset. The headset can only be paired with one stereo device. The SM10 can stream stereo to two compatible BT headsets of any brand.
    Last edited by billybovine; 11-05-2014 at 11:21 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Ok now I understand, I have the 10 unit and it is one at a time. I guess he needs the 20.
    Ok I think understand now too. So if I upgrade to the 20 can I turn that feature off?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Sena 20S headsets...... My wife and I can intercom while I listen to my tunes from my phone and I also get my phones GPS directions... all simultaneously. When on a group ride I can also connect up to 9 other Sena units to a group intercom.

My 20S has been rock solid..... I did update the firmware when I first got them.....there is a vendor here on SL that sells them at a discount.

Spyder Garage

That's the difference between the 10 series headsets and the new 20 series. Both can connect to multiple devices. The 10 series switches between them depending on priority. The 20 attempts to mix them to allow multiple sources simultaneously.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I think all this SENA tech is saying is that you're listening to one thing at a time even though several items can be bluetoothed to your helmet. The SM10 allows your radio to play through your SMH10 and when you press the intercom button, it shuts the radio off so you can talk to the other person you are using the intercom with. That's all...I don't see a problem here. When I get a phone call, the RT's radio (via the SM10) cuts out and then my phone call is active. When I sign off the phone call, my radio comes back.....

Maybe I missed something! Good luck. SENA tech's are very helpful, but you have to wait on hold for awhile to get ahold of one (my wait time has been about 10-15 minutes). When they answer, they really know their stuff. Here's the SENA toll free number in case you need it: 866-300-1235...I think they are in the San Jose, CA area so time your call accordingly.

BTW...I have had our set about 1 1/2 years and they still work great!
    Thanks,
    I will need to see how to do this. since there is no back seat PTT how do we do this?
    Stefan

Spyder Garage

That's exactly right. So why is that a problem?
    Because I'm trying to listen to music in between talking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    That's how it's supposed to work.

You can't have music and comm at the same time. If you're listening to music, and you hit comm, music is "muted" during the conversation. Same with phone. Music is the lowest priority in the chain, so anything else will override it.

I'm not sure if there is even a wired system that will allow what I think you are wanting. My wired chatterbox would override music when comm was activated.
    My comm is not wired. we have 2each of the SMH10 and they are paired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Will the SCALA work with the SM10?

Spyder Garage

Because I'm trying to listen to music in between talking
    The SMH10 will do that. Let's take for example that you and your passenger headsets are paired together, but no others. Your passenger wants to talk to you. They tap their jog dial once. Your audio will mute and you both can have a conversation. When the conversation is done they tap their jog dial once again and the music will return. Page 27 in the user guide.

From my understanding the 20 will reduce the volume during the conversation but not mute it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The SMH10 will do that. Let's take for example that you and your passenger headsets are paired together, but no others. Your passenger wants to talk to you. They tap their jog dial once. Your audio will mute and you both can have a conversation. When the conversation is done they tap their jog dial once again and the music will return. Page 27 in the user guide.

From my understanding the 20 will reduce the volume during the conversation but not mute it.
    Good information. Also remember to have the mike close enough and talk load enough to activate the VOX. (voice activated microphone) Without these two things your Sena headsets will not work for communication.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick