Spyder Garage

Default Caution! Definitely a scam.

Just saw this and knew it was a scam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-SM5-S...m=111505816567

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIowa View Post
    Just saw this and knew it was a scam.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-SM5-S...m=111505816567
    A very unique machine also. its both a manual and a semi auto.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

arntufun

Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing other than he/she should have marked it used.
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing.
    I kind of agree. The listing has over 6 days to finish. Has a low starting bid and per the ad a low reserve. Seller has a good ebay rating and he photos seem good.

It could be a scam, but nothing yet has me screaming run away.

PK

Spyder Garage

Why do you say this is a scam ???????? So what, a mistake was made in the description. It's a SE5 from the photos. Starting bid is 1k and the reserve was not met yet. I see no issue with that listing other than he/she should have marked it used.
    It is quacking a little bit like a duck. Those selling fake 's generally don't know what they are talking about--hence--bad descriptions. Have seen that in many scam ads. (Quack!)

I did note that this was a bid price. Will be interesting to see how far it goes. A $1,000 start is a really good deal. We all know that this machine is now going for about $8K or less--because of the year. You know what they are worth as you just sold yours. So, if someone wins the bid at much less... (Quack!)

There are many who get ripped off through E-bay scams. I think a warning to those who are not E-bay savvy, is a good thing.

Time will tell if this was real or not. Posting on SL site is not going to trash someone's legitimate sale--IMO of course.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-04-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

akspyderman,

I believe Randy was talking about the original poster who said they thought it was a scam, not you.

I don't believe it is a scam. I think it is legit and the seller doesn't know much about Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    akspyderman,

I believe Randy was talking about the original poster who said they thought it was a scam, not you.

I don't believe it is a scam. I think it is legit and the seller doesn't know much about Spyders.
    We are cool. Randy and I go way back and like to spar a bit when we can. It's all in fun.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks legit to me. Low starting price but with a reserve so it isn't selling for $1k or anywhere near it.
    Also, the spyder is listed as being in Denver Colorado and the license plate on the front of the adjacent vehicle is also from Colorado.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Looks legit to me. Low starting price but with a reserve so it isn't selling for $1k or anywhere near it.
    Also, the spyder is listed as being in Denver Colorado and the license plate on the front of the adjacent vehicle is also from Colorado.
    I am cool with the whole thing. Couldn't resist the SM5/SE5 thing though. It would be great if this one flies and is legit. A 2009 with less than 200 miles--it just does not get much better than that. Not going to waste anyone's time by doing further research as I am not in the market for another 2009.

I will just sit back and let nature take its course. Over and out.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I will just sit back and let nature take its course. Over and out.

What? Do you have to poop?[emoji12] [emoji85]

Spyder Garage

I would have to agree that it looks like a scam. If you look at the sellers feedback. The names of the buyer/seller does not look right and show a pattern. Also the items that they bought seem a little shady... I think it's a somewhat well thought out scam.

Spyder Garage

that front left tire looks out of wack though.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

this would have to be a must see item...agree in some photos the left front wheel seems to turn a lot further than the right. Could be classified as new with that low a mileage but if you change the cluster it starts a "0" again. Wise to run a vin # check...pay with paypal after reciept....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

With a bike having that low of mileage and it looks like it stays outside all the time. I could see a lot of problems with this bike. My cousin bought a 2009 Yamaha Venture a few years ago on ebay from a dealer with low mileage. He thought that he had got a steal on the bike. It took almost $1000 to get the bike to run right. Better off to buy a bike that is rode than one that sits.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    With a bike having that low of mileage and it looks like it stays outside all the time. I could see a lot of problems with this bike. My cousin bought a 2009 Yamaha Venture a few years ago on ebay from a dealer with low mileage. He thought that he had got a steal on the bike. It took almost $1000 to get the bike to run right. Better off to buy a bike that is rode than one that sits.

I couldn't agree more !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    that front left tire looks out of wack though.
    Good catch. How did I miss that?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that's just the camera angle guys....look at the 4th pic from behind/right. It looks normal from there.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

if you are really curious, ask seller a question!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt; it's gonna need a laser alignment of EPIC proportions!
    I'd be a bit suspicious of it; but that's just me.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

not really sure on this one, i did some research on the seller and he has 41 e bay sales with 100% positive feedback, there is 5 bids on the bike with the last bid of 2025.00. it says there is a very low reserve on the bike but there is 6 days left on the bidding. he might be a dealer trying to get people to look at it, and sellers also have other friends to up the bids to try and sell. so who knows
    Last edited by cuznjohn; 11-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's been described as being in "very good condition"...
    That left wheel leaves a lot of room for doubt!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My gripe about these is that the starting bid is so low, but there is no way to tell what the reserve is. It would be nice if the person selling would start the bidding somewhere in the ballpark of the reserve.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's been described as being in "very good condition"...
    That left wheel leaves a lot of room for doubt!
    I see what you're saying, but looking at other pictures, that may be an optical illusion caused by the angle the pic was taken.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see your point; My guess is that the left tie-rod has a busted end on it, and they're just kicking that wheel around to a convenient spot...
    As bad as my eyes are; there's something VERY odd about that left front wheel...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My apologies. Forget I posted anything!
    Obviously they are knowledgeable about what they have and just didn't proof read their description.
    Whats wrong with this description...

"We just bought it but we never used it and we are selling it now with very low reserve. We bought it brand new."

They just bought a brand new 5 year old Spyder but never used it. OK you're right it probably is fine.