Thread: Lazer Aligment

Spyder Garage

Default Lazer Aligment

Had inspection, drive belt adjusted and lazer aligment done today at Honda of Winston Salem N. C.
    Great people to do business with. Toe in was 2 inches adjusted it to spec can tell a big difference in it now.

Spyder Garage

[emoji106]
    I think the laser alugnment is not only the best bang for the buck, but a must have. You have nothing to loose, if its aligned correctly, most places dont charge you either. This of couse is just IMO.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    [emoji106]
    I think the laser alugnment is not only the best bang for the buck, but a must have. You have nothing to loose, if its aligned correctly, most places dont charge you either. This of couse is just IMO.
    I think dealers charge for the laser alignment even if no adjustment is required...most, if not all, independents don't.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

How come these things need the alignment done right off the show room floor, why isn't this done by can am at the factory? This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth after just buying two of the rt limiteds and worrying about having to have the alignment checked already!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KCannaday View Post
    How come these things need the alignment done right off the show room floor, why isn't this done by can am at the factory? This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth after just buying two of the rt limiteds and worrying about having to have the alignment checked already!
    You spent over "60-Large", on two bikes; and you're worried about a couple of hundred dollars?!?
    I'm sorry...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You apparently missed my point, when you buy a new car or truck do you have to take it to someone and get the alignment done when you first drive it home?? I don't care if it cost ten dollars or a couple hundred it shouldn't be an issue to have to deal with on brand new bikes!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

And I didn't spend over 60k on these things and feel sorry for anyone that paid that kind of price on one when they can be had for 23,500.00 each currently.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So; you bought well...
    What's your peace of mind, worth to you?

Spyder Garage

You apparently missed my point, when you buy a new car or truck do you have to take it to someone and get the alignment done when you first drive it home?? I don't care if it cost ten dollars or a couple hundred it shouldn't be an issue to have to deal with on brand new bikes!
    Point taken and agreed with. Most understand your point and agree.
    Some don't want to hear your point. You may wear out a keyboard trying to explain.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

These things aren't assembled at the factory like autos so its impossible to align them properly until they are assembled at dealership. that is not taste, its just reality
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    These things aren't assembled at the factory like autos so its impossible to align them properly until they are assembled at dealership. that is not taste, its just reality
    Perhaps that should be included in the prep charge that is paid?...
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was told that they use one jig adjustment for all the alignments, yet they have different rim manufacturers and the dimension is not always the same on them. May be true or not, but it does make sense. Where the problem I think is, is that when they are prepped at the dealer it should be mandatory that they are laser aligned. Unfortunately, not every dealer is qualified to do alignments, so it isn't done and is up to us to do it. As far as buying a new car you are always charged a dealer prep fee. I think of my alignment cost as a dealer prep fee after the fact.
    Minor garbage like this and the tires bothers me, but the quality of the bike where it counts, engine, trans, frame, etc. has me well pleased and I would buy again with no hesitation knowing what I know.
    I agree it ain't right, but doubt if anything will ever be done about it.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmm

Unlike a car, after they are built, they get taken apart, crated, shipped, and put back together. Dealers do not have the lasers, and they assume the bikes are done at the factory. Every year, the process to align the front wheels has changed. Finally, this year, BRP endorsed the ROLO system. They did not buy a system for their dealers, but encouraged them to do so. Many are reluctant to spend thousands on equipment when they might only sell a few a year. That is where we come in. As independent dealers for this service, we are able to travel to where the Spyders are, and correct the problems. If it is within spec, it is free. If not, we can fix it with laser accuracy. 😀
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

well, i'll have to add my 2 cents on Spyder alignment... I think when you spend upwards of $25,000 for a vehicle it should leave the dealership 100% road ready, ........ as long buyers accept half a$$ dealer prep with BRP's approval... this kind of treatment of "sticking it to customers" will continue.... BRP does not have to take our money anywhere to get it "fixed" .................. this sort of "lack of BRP's support" will eventually bite BRP in the butt...

OSM

Spyder Garage

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here. There is no reason they can't come right from the factory. What is taken apart and crated has nothing to do with the alignment. These are laser aligned from the factory, I'm still not sure why most of them are off but it's within their specs and that's the problem. Their spec needs to be tighten up to our spec. Some are and they are getting better. I've done well over a hundred 2014 Spyders and they are much better than they were in previous years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could it be that they're sacrificing accuracy for speed, on the production line?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Unlike a car, after they are built, they get taken apart, crated, shipped, and put back together. Dealers do not have the lasers, and they assume the bikes are done at the factory. Every year, the process to align the front wheels has changed. Finally, this year, BRP endorsed the ROLO system. They did not buy a system for their dealers, but encouraged them to do so. Many are reluctant to spend thousands on equipment when they might only sell a few a year. That is where we come in. As independent dealers for this service, we are able to travel to where the Spyders are, and correct the problems. If it is within spec, it is free. If not, we can fix it with laser accuracy. 😀
    This will be the best money you will ever spend. It takes you from "hates it to Love it". That simple! Imagine the kid they just hired for the lowest pay in the back assembling your Spider. Will he or does he have the equipment to line it properly. Don't even blink if you have a chance to "Lazer Align" your Spider, just do it.

Did I mention what Lazer Alignment will do for your tires. No more "cupping",uneven wear, and early replacement due to being misaligned.

No more shimmying or darting and wandering what lane you may be in next.

I do not have a pony in this race. Just speaking from experience.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree the alignment should be right from the factory. In the real world there is usually a big difference between should and is. Had mine aligned, best $100 I spent.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Just a note..!!

the majority of the cars that I have owned have been out of alignment when I replaced the oem tires for those I preferred to use. This was done shortly after buying the cars reserving the oem's for when I sold or traded the cars..I also know there were alignments done off the frame and the new lasers are all done off the rear wheel. Checking one against the other will give you differences. Do agree it's a small investment for safety, comfort, easy in driving. Lets face it many are spending $400 to $1000 on some foam and pretend leather that does nothing for handling....jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Haven't heard from the people who were aligned properly on delivery. Mine handles perfectly. So why should I do a laser alignment? My tires are wearing evenly as well.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    Haven't heard from the people who were aligned properly on delivery. Mine handles perfectly. So why should I do a laser alignment? My tires are wearing evenly as well.
    Our RT handled well, I thought, until we laser aligned it. Also had even tire wear on it as well.
    I didn't realize how it should handle till it was set correct!
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you fellas..

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I agree the alignment should be right from the factory. In the real world there is usually a big difference between should and is. Had mine aligned, best $100 I spent.
    I agree with the all the above. It would be nice if the alignment was perfect from the getgo. After some uneven wear, and balance issues, we figured out how to get the wheels balanced, and had Precisyon laser align our 2011 RT this summer in Durango. It is now smooth and perfect.

Like Delmar said in "Oh Brother where art thou" I'm with you fellas..
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Worth the Small Expense OTD

As part of my pre-buy research I looked thoroughly into laser alignment read every owner comment about it on SL. When I picked up my Spyder and asked the tech at Honda of Winston-Salem how far out of alignment it was he said, "Not much but enough to justify having the job done as part of the OTD deal." FWIW, I would not have purchased the trike from a dealer that didn't have the laser alignment system. It seemed to be a very worthwhile investment. JMO. Spyder rides like a dream!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    No doubt; There's always going to be some, that make it out of the factory aligned perfectly. I'm glad that you got one of them!

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to believe

Is it really true that BRP designed a vehicle that requires a laser alignment before delivery even though the vast majority of Spyder dealerships do not have such equipment and don't have any plans to buy it? My dealer doesn't have the equipment and my RT-S handles better than I expected, after I got the right amount of air in the tires. Maybe I just got lucky. If I am ever near a laser alignment place, I think I will have it done just to see if it makes a difference.