Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 665 on 2014 RT-Limited

My Garmin 665 will not work on XM with the factory installed cradle and harness for the 660. All other functions work fine. I have the XM40 antennae plugged into the harness. Harness for the 660 and 665 are the same part number.

Any ideas as to why or what I will have to do. Not interested in anything going thru the speakers from the 665 as I use Sena bluetooth in my helmet. Nav and MP3 now is going thru speakers and bluetooth. XM, Traffic, and weather are not available. 665 has been checked and is working in all functions.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I had similar situation when I moved my 665 from my Road Glide to my 2014 RT Limited. I was getting error message and noXM functionality. After checking on some Garmin forums, learned it was an actual difference between the 660 and 665 cradle and harness and I would have to buy and install a new 665 harness. I had kept the original 665 harness off the Harley and was able to take the front of cradle from the 665 (7 small screws to remove) and unplug it (2 small board plugs). I put the 665 front on the 660 harness on the spyder and it works perfect (would appear the function to recognize the XM antenna/tuner is in the head unit). It acts primary sound source if the xm is on, but once you mute it - it defaults to what ever you have the radio set to for source (fm, aux, etc.). So if you have your old harness, just need to change the head out. If you don't and have to buy a 665 harness, you only need to change the head with the 660 - not go through the effort to remove and install entire harness. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Even though the 660 and the 665 harness look alike, they are not. The antenna cable on the 660 is for the traffic antenna and the antenna cable on the 665 is for the XM antenna. The antenna port on the harnesses are not compatible with the other. You will have to install a 665 harness on the bike to use the XM feature or do what Jonn above says.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 11-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I moved my 665 to the can am spyder and works fine but I only used the GPS side of it and nothing else..
    Seems to work the same as on my Harley and can hear it thru the speakers.

Spyder Garage

You need the 665 cradle for the XM to work.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Having trouble with ordering the new harness as the part number for the 660 and the 665 harness are the same but some say I need the harness for the 665??

Does BRP put a different harness on the 660 for the 2014 RTL??

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Having trouble with ordering the new harness as the part number for the 660 and the 665 harness are the same but some say I need the harness for the 665??

Does BRP put a different harness on the 660 for the 2014 RTL??

Jack
    Just confirmed with Garmin, harness for factory installed 660 is custom for BRP Spyder. Need new harness as per above. Part number 010-11270-03 (garmin part) is what is needed to replace harness. Will update after install.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Will a Garmin software update solve this issue?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post

Nope, its not a software issue. The 660 harness is different than the 665 harness. It's that simple.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

The OE mount for the 660 and 665 are different. The replacement mount is the same for both. I think a Garmin engineer needs to get a slap on the back of the head for that one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

No the pins are different (hooked up different) in the cradle as per Garmin. We tried several things with Garmin.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Nope, its not a software issue. The 660 harness is different than the 665 harness. It's that simple.
    Actually the harness and cradle are identical for the 660 and 665 but some of the cradle pins have been changed according to BRP and Garmin for use to augment there factory installed 660. This was done for installation of their own XM. The 665 XM, traffic, WX pin will not XM etc. Just another learning experience Provided by BRP with no directions or mention of. Guess they want to sell there own $999 xm and not have anyone buy the 665. BTW there XM only provides XM radio but no Traffic, full time WX including high wind warning and full time WX and Thunderstorms, accident warnings and auto reroutes if you so desire. Complete 665 Garmin package and Harness sells for $600 on Amazon.

I also have a Zumo 550 with same features on my BMW R1200RT. Love it.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 11-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Garman 665 on 2015 RT-S

Ok, I would like to resurrect this thread if I could.

I am buying a 2015 RT-S, and I am assuming that I could still use the Garmin 665 on it if i get the correct Can-Am Spyder cable for the machine. If I understand correctly, I would then swap part of the cradle that comes with the 665 with the cradle I get from Can-Am, so that the pins do the appropriate thing with the 665?

Since Can-Am now sells the 590 I am guessing that it's cradle is different than the 660? And if that's the case, I need the part number for the 660 cradle/cable, and I am wondering if anyone has that number (and knows if they still sell that)?

Phil

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coonsie View Post
    Ok, I would like to resurrect this thread if I could.

I am buying a 2015 RT-S, and I am assuming that I could still use the Garmin 665 on it if i get the correct Can-Am Spyder cable for the machine. If I understand correctly, I would then swap part of the cradle that comes with the 665 with the cradle I get from Can-Am, so that the pins do the appropriate thing with the 665?

Since Can-Am now sells the 590 I am guessing that it's cradle is different than the 660? And if that's the case, I need the part number for the 660 cradle/cable, and I am wondering if anyone has that number (and knows if they still sell that)?

Phil
    I don't think the 2015 RT-S comes with a GPS from new at all. Are you buying a used one?

If you buy a Zumo 665 it will come with everything you need to install onto your 2015 RT-S. Except maybe the power connector plug.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the 590 cradle will not fit the 660 or 665 ..The cradle is the power cord also. ALSo its not just a unplug and plug in type of installation as you may think.

GPS City has lots of things or ebay if you need a cradle harness
    Last edited by trikermutha; 04-11-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

the 590 cradle will not fit the 660 or 665 ..The cradle is the power cord also. ALSo its not just a unplug and plug in type of installation as you may think.

GPS City has lots of things or ebay if you need a cradle harness
    thanks for the replies. In answer to someone comment above, I am looking at a 2015 leftover. After a pretty exhaustive discussion and search of can-am accessory catalogs at the dealer and their searches online (with me watching), what I found out is...that this could be done, but all parts needed are not included in any single can-am hookup package, so it means getting one cradle and wiring package, and having to buy another specific mounting package. At the end of the day, this ends up not being cost effective, and probably not simple....not to mention that you end up with a discontinued Garmin unit (even though I like the 665). Can-am has made it more difficult to do, because they are moving to the 590 so all parts will not be available forever (well...nothings forever).

thanks for the help...

Phil

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Garmin Zumo 660 Problem

I had a Garmin Zumo 660 on my RT and I want to move it to my new F3. I purchased Lamonster's handlebar GPS Mount (no problem here). I also purchased a Zumo 660 Harness from Amizon. After I got it installed I found that it did not work. There was no power getting to the mount. I checked for power at the lead ends and registered 14.5 Volts. I checked for power at the GPS mount and could not find any. I decided that the mount must be mis-wired. I called Garmin Customer Support and they were of NO HELP WHATSOEVER. They said things "Is the red wire connected to the (+) voltage". I asked to speak to an engineer but the rep said I could not do that.

I also have an automotive mount for the GPS and it works just fine. So I figured there was some issue with the mount.So I then ordered ANOTHER harness from Amazon, and tested it...SAME PROBLEM. No power to the mount.

After reading this blog, I see that there must be some wiring issue between the 660 and 665 mounts even though they look alike. And Amazon must be selling a 665 mount for the 660. Even though the mount came in the Garmin Zumo 660 box.

I suppose I will have to start cutting wires to see which ones provide power for the unit. If any of you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Garmin Zumo 660 Problem--Update

I am having problems getting the NEW Garmin 660 mount to transfer to my F3.
    I took the mount apart and find that power gets to the printed circuit board inside
    the Garmin Mount but it does not get to the power pins for the 660 GPS. From this
    observation I deduce that the GARMIN MOTORCYCLE MOUNT FOR THE 660 IS
    MISWIRED
    on the PC board inside the mount.
    I don't know why this is so but I do not see any way to fix it. Garmin must have a
    bad batch of motorcycle mounts and, maybe, they are dumping off a known problem
    to Amazon.
    I will call Garmin and try to get to the root of the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Just confirmed with Garmin, harness for factory installed 660 is custom for BRP Spyder. Need new harness as per above. Part number 010-11270-03 (garmin part) is what is needed to replace harness. Will update after install.

Jack
    I purchased the Garmin No. 010-11270-03 Mount from Amazon and IT DOES NOT WORK WITH MY Garmin 660.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Garmin Zumo 660 Problem--Update

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I purchased the Garmin No. 010-11270-03 Mount from Amazon and IT DOES NOT WORK WITH MY Garmin 660.
    I think I have found the root of my problem. The Mount that I ordered from Amazon and UPC label on the Garmin Motorcycle Mount Box says Motorcycle Mount Kit 010-11270-03 but the mount inside the box says 011-02023-25. The box [made in Taiwan] contains the wrong product.
    I will try to get the correct mount when I am at Pit Bull for Spyderfest 2016 and try to get my money back from Amazon although it is not their problem, it is Garmin's.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default It's the pin out

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    The problem from, my perspective from reading your thread entries, is in the connection to the wiring harness of the Can AM. Your going to have to buy a connector (and pins) that matches the one you're trying to connect to. Make sure you understand the pin out for that connector from the Spyder and match it to the power and ground wires of the Garmin harness (use multi-meter to back it up). The another solution is to use posi-taps on switched and ground wires in the harness, don't recommend that though with the Can Am. Another solution is to use a fuse block with a ACC trigger wire so it uses switch power (more complicated install).

If I have this wrong you need to post pictures of the connection and mount so someone has a clearer perspective.

PS be sure to buy a crimper that matches the pins for the connector. Possible sources for terminals and crimper:
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/
    http://cycleterminal.com/

Read their crimping tutorials for best results. If you also buy pin removal tool you can remove the pins without tearing up connectors or pins and re-pin the connector.

This is what I did for my motorcycle, Ann's Can Am came with the Garmin 660. Mine works flawlessly. If I can do it, so can you.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, the mount hooks the cradle to the Spyder. The cradle is the device that the GPS fits into when removing it. These have numerous pins. The pins are different for the 660 and the 665. I have both and swapped the top of the cradle itself to interchange. This was very simple.

If your Spyder has a radio you have an entertainment harness. If not you need one. The Garmin harness is a plug and play into this system. No magic here. If you have the correct harness to plug into the entertainment harness it will say so on the side of the harness box "for spyder" Garmin makes and sells this harness for Can Am Spyder.

Be sure it is connected properly and power source is "switched" or you will forget to turn it off and run your battery down. If you are trying to use a 660 with a Garmin harness to the entertainment harness the main connection is on the right side just under or adjacent to the fuel tank. It is a simple plug in. No cradle surgery is necessary.

Not sure if your F3 has a radio or entertainment harness.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 04-23-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I know this is really old, but does anyone still have one of these 665 mounts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aBeardedWeirdo View Post
    I know this is really old, but does anyone still have one of these 665 mounts?
    They are pretty hard to get and expensive these days.

Spyder Garage

Just to clarify, the mount hooks the cradle to the Spyder. The cradle is the device that the GPS fits into when removing it. These have numerous pins. The pins are different for the 660 and the 665. I have both and swapped the top of the cradle itself to interchange. This was very simple. If your Spyder has a radio you have an entertainment harness. If not you need one. The Garmin harness is a plug and play into this system. No magic here. If you have the correct harness to plug into the entertainment harness it will say so on the side of the harness box "for spyder" Garmin makes and sells this harness for Can Am Spyder. Be sure it is connected properly and power source is "switched" or you will forget to turn it off and run your battery down. If you are trying to use a 660 with a Garmin harness to the entertainment harness the main connection is on the right side just under or adjacent to the fuel tank. It is a simple plug in. No cradle surgery is necessary.
    Jack

Hi Jack! been awhile but i believe we met in Boerne a few years ago...i had a 2012 RT then now ive got a 14!
    I got a new 665 LM off ebay with harness and im trying to swap it out with the 660 harness installed on my 2014 RTSE6 LTD. The factory harness goes into the frame cant see where it comes out do i have to use the harness came with the 665 or can i just switch the cradle? hate to cut wires im guessing my 14 ltd comes with the entertainment harness? really like Sirius is why im switching. how did you swap the top of the cradle did you cut and splice wires?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White