Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tow Dolly

Spyder Garage

Default Tow Dolly

I was wanting opinions about using a dolly like you tow cars with to pull a Spyder. I have little use for a trailer and even less room to store it. I thought about getting a dolly for times when I needed to haul my Spyder . The two main reasons is, it wouldn't take much room to store it and it would be easy to load and secure the Spyder. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    I was wanting opinions about using a dolly like you tow cars with to pull a Spyder. I have little use for a trailer and even less room to store it. I thought about getting a dolly for times when I needed to haul my Spyder . The two main reasons is, it wouldn't take much room to store it and it would be easy to load and secure the Spyder. I would appreciate your thoughts.
    I have been wondering if there was anyone else having those thoughts. It seems like it should work, but normally cars are strapped down over the tires. I don't see there being enough room between the fender and tire on a spyder to do this. If a good tie down can be established, it should work.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Tow Dollys put the drive wheels off the road. It MIGHT be possible if you pulled the belt, but then you have to reinstall the belt, including setting the tension, belt alignment, and if you have had a laser alignment, once you do all that your alignment will most likely be off. We pull a car on a tow dolly behind our RV, no way I would consider doing it with the Spyder.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

had though about it a lot but came to the same conclusion. Kendon makes folding trailers that stand up against the wall saving space. Just have to see if they have one that fits your needs.. Just checked and they do....
    Last edited by Chupaca; 10-31-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    had though about it a lot but came to the same conclusion. Kendon makes folding trailers that stand up against the wall saving space. Just have to see if they have one that fits your needs.. Just checked and they do....
    That was my first thought as well.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL NOT QUITE

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Tow Dollys put the drive wheels off the road. It MIGHT be possible if you pulled the belt, but then you have to reinstall the belt, including setting the tension, belt alignment, and if you have had a laser alignment, once you do all that your alignment will most likely be off. We pull a car on a tow dolly behind our RV, no way I would consider doing it with the Spyder.
    ....It's possible to remove and replace belt without changing tension or settings on the belt if you remove the REAR shock BOLT.......and there should be Nothing affecting the ALIGNMENT ........However it is a bit of work to do this ................I have done a RACHET STRAP tie down on the rear tire for transporting , but there is quite a bit of room under the rear fender.......The front fender is going to be very tight ..............I would definitely go and test one out first ........JMHO.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default WELL NOT QUITE

....It's possible to remove and replace belt without changing tension or settings on the belt if you remove the REAR shock BOLT.......and there should be Nothing affecting the ALIGNMENT ........However it is a bit of work to do this ................I have done a RACHET STRAP tie down on the rear tire for transporting , but there is quite a bit of room under the rear fender.......The front fender might be very tight ..............I would definitely go and test one out first ........JMHO.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Tow Dollys put the drive wheels off the road..
    We have used a tow dolly with the drive wheels on the ground for short distances. But I agree, I wouldn't want to pull a car or spyder very far like that.

Spyder Garage

Thank's I wasn't really concerned about pulling the Spyder because over the years if towed several cars. But I was concerned about the transmission. I didn't know if the trans was fully disengaged when it was in neutral. So by your answers it appears it's not so I guess I will check on renting a trailer when I need one. Thank's again for your help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just thinking...

how 'bout a dolly where the REAR wheel/tire is raised off the ground?!
    You would lock the steering with some sort of straps, and the Spyder would be pulled backwards down the road.

Please, beat me up. Just thinking " out of the box"

Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post
    You would lock the steering with some sort of straps, and the Spyder would be pulled backwards down the road.

Bill
    Nothing wrong with being outside the box! However, the problem with this set-up is that the front-end of the Spyder would probably drag with the rear wheel raised up on the dolly.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Going to be a difficult thing to pull off.
    I'd never try to tow it with the rear wheel on the ground. Your asking for mechanical problems there.
    Towing it backwards is for sure going to present some nose clearance challenges as well.

If your going to be very limited on your trailer use your probably better off looking for a rental place or finding another local SL that may be willing to loan you theirs and working something out with another local rider.

Where are you located?

Spyder Garage

Get a fabricator to build you a 3 wheel trailer that stands up when not in use. It would match your spider and look cool!

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill pitman View Post

Bill
    Out of the box is good!
    But dragging a Spyder backward... not so much
    The windshields would take an awful lot of strain that they're not designed for.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default OK then...

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Nothing wrong with being outside the box! However, the problem with this set-up is that the front-end of the Spyder would probably drag with the rear wheel raised up on the dolly.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Going to be a difficult thing to pull off.
    I'd never try to tow it with the rear wheel on the ground. Your asking for mechanical problems there.
    Towing it backwards is for sure going to present some nose clearance challenges as well.

If your going to be very limited on your trailer use your probably better off looking for a rental place or finding another local SL that may be willing to loan you theirs and working something out with another local rider.

Where are you located?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Out of the box is good!
    The windshields would take an awful lot of strain that they're not designed for.

All good points,
    I'll shut up now

Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NoNoNoNoNo... We NEED to hear alternative ideas.
    Besides; your next one, will probably be a winner!!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Out of the box is good!
    ...and with the issues of the windshield bracket and the clearance in the front with that angle not workable.

By pulling the belt by removing the shock bolt you could free wheel the rear tire and the ratchet straps could go over the lower control arms instead of the tires. If I were going to do it, that would be the way to go. The rear bearings would have very little weight on them with no rider. I think it is do-able.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Thinking about the rear tire life on these babies...
    I think that I'd just as soon get all THREE feet up on some type of trailer.

That... and I'm completely incapable of pulling the drive belt off the bike!

Spyder Garage

Out of the box is good!
    The owners manual says to NOT even trailer with the spyder facing to the rear.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

. We pull a car on a tow dolly behind our RV, no way I would consider doing it with the Spyder.
    We pull a car 4-wheels down. I'd LOVE to figure out a practical way to take the Spyder along as well. Putting it on a lift between the MH and the car would make for for a very long rig - not to mention the cost of such a lift.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default It would work .

I saw a Trike begging towed at Bike Week in Fl. I have seen a Smart cars on a tow dolly. The only down side is the rear tire ware.

Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    We pull a car 4-wheels down. I'd LOVE to figure out a practical way to take the Spyder along as well. Putting it on a lift between the MH and the car would make for for a very long rig - not to mention the cost of such a lift.
    There ARE other options...

images.jpg

Spyder Garage

I have a "Drop Tail" trailer for use in hauling the Spyder. It will fold to about 5 ft tall and 18 inches or so in depth.

Dream set up for people with money(does not includ me). A pick up truck with the factory bed off and a flat bed installed, towed behind a motor home. Spyder on the flat bed.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There ARE other options...

images.jpg
    Its not 4 down but this is what we are looking at to pull behind our class a
    http://www.cruiserlift.com/towdolly.html

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default YEP I DID THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I have a "Drop Tail" trailer for use in hauling the Spyder. It will fold to about 5 ft tall and 18 inches or so in depth.

Dream set up for people with money(does not includ me). A pick up truck with the factory bed off and a flat bed installed, towed behind a motor home. Spyder on the flat bed.
    Oldmanzues
    ....Great minds think alike .....This is exactly what I did to my 03 Toyt Tacoma Pk-up.....My GF Dee gave me a welder and I went crazy ( I knew how to weld ,but didn't own one )........Built the frame .....Ramps etc.......even the box / enclosure works great........Mike