Spyder Garage

Question Best Cell Phone mount?

I often use the Navigator app of my Droid Razr to find places when driving my pickup truck, but can't use the phone when riding the Spyder... who makes a really good safe cell phone mount that will securely hold (but still be removable!) my Droid Razr phone on my 2012 Spyder RS handlebars?

I've seen lots of different motorcycle cell phone holders/mounts, but no idea how any of them will work on the Spyder or with my cell.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks ya'll!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Default phone mount

Check out Leader Motorcycle. They are a sponsor on the home page. They have phone mounts for Spyders.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Check out Leader Motorcycle. They are a sponsor on the home page. They have phone mounts for Spyders.

Holy Cow.....$120+ for a phone mount.....better to just put it in my pocket...lol

Spyder Garage

I use a X Grip. I like it because it still works if you use a case with your phone. It takes only seconds to install and uninstall the phone. Ill see if I can find the link.

Here is the link for the phone mount. I have used this on a 1K mile trip without issue of the phone falling out or getting loose. Also use a 3" extension to perch it up above the handle bars. I use a ram ball mount from a sponsor here to mount it to.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 10-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a bunch of them on sale right now
    as low as $19.95
    www.motorcycledave.com
    email motorcycledave@mac.com
    Call Me
    Dave

__________________________________________________ ______________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    I often use the Navigator app of my Droid Razr to find places when driving my pickup truck, but can't use the phone when riding the Spyder... who makes a really good safe cell phone mount that will securely hold (but still be removable!) my Droid Razr phone on my 2012 Spyder RS handlebars?

I've seen lots of different motorcycle cell phone holders/mounts, but no idea how any of them will work on the Spyder or with my cell.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I use a X Grip. I like it because it still works if you use a case with your phone. It takes only seconds to install and uninstall the phone. Ill see if I can find the link.

Here is the link for the phone mount. I have used this on a 1K mile trip without issue of the phone falling out or getting loose. Also use a 3" extension to perch it up above the handle bars. I use a ram ball mount from a sponsor here to mount it to.

I agree. X-Grip is great. And you can remove the mount quickly and easily; leaving only the Ram ball on the bike.
    2013 ST S
    Stock for now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRyder View Post
    Holy Cow.....$120+ for a phone mount.....better to just put it in my pocket...lol
    Welcome to the world of Spyders!! If a company prices it reasonable nobody will buy it.... It sounds weird, but it's true.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Green RSS View Post
    I agree. X-Grip is great. And you can remove the mount quickly and easily; leaving only the Ram ball on the bike.
    +1 for the X-Grip.

I have mine mounted on JThornton's accessory bar on my RTS.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

- Michael

I use the standard RAM mount connection tied into the two mounting bolts for the handlebars on my '12 RT. You have to remove the stock bolts and replace with ones about a half inch longer.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also use the X-grip for my phone

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default x grip

is there an xgrip for the iPad mini that would mount on the spyder rs, I'm pretty new to riding so excuse me if I ask a dumb question. I lost my right leg in Afghanistan so the spyder is pretty much the only bike I can ride. I actually have a lot of questions, I want to also convert my rs somewhat close to an RT OR ST just make it more comfortable. I would like to put a backseat on there for my wife and I have seen some of the aftermarket ones for the RS and I really don't like the way they look. Is there anything closer to the look of an RT Backseat. I also recently ordered floorboards through ISCI whom I also purchased a handbrake through, because I have no right foot to press the brake and it works awesome. However, I ordered the floorboards because I keep having trouble with my prosthetic foot sliding off the peg, because I'm also having trouble with fitting issues with my prosthetic. The prosthetic actually comes really close to fitting in the front storage compartment, but like I said CLOSE. I was hoping I could get it in there as it would just be more comfortable to just take it off on a long ride. I was thinking about maybe tying it down or strapping it to the backseat as I could imagine I'd get some looks lol, but oh well. But with the floorboards the guys at ISCI said it was about a 3 hour job, I am retired now so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, but I was more so hoping I could just meet some good people that live in columbia, SC that would be willing to teach me how to work on this thing myself. I could figure it out, but there is only so many youtube videos, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person out there, but I catch on pretty fast, however somethings are just to advanced for me to figure out on my own. I have no problem paying someone to do the work, however I have quickly learned that when it comes to the world of recreational vehicles it seems the sales people and service people in a lot of shops are QUICK to lie and cheat and rip you off. I had a bad experience with capital city cycles in columbia, Sc and I won't say they ripped me off but the Guy at ISCI said that brake job specifically only takes about 1.50 hours, and the service guy at capital city cycles quoted me for 3 hours and said " oh if its less I will not charge you " yeah right. It just so happened to be exactly 3 hours. I did ask him to do a look over on the bike, but I don't even think he did that. Their customer service was terrible, and I will certainly never go there again. I'm just looking to meet some people on here I can trust maybe ever ride with. I recently also joined the patriot guard as they were their for me when I got hurt.

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rbarber1 View Post
    is there an xgrip for the iPad mini that would mount on the spyder rs, I'm pretty new to riding so excuse me if I ask a dumb question. I lost my right leg in Afghanistan so the spyder is pretty much the only bike I can ride. I actually have a lot of questions, I want to also convert my rs somewhat close to an RT OR ST just make it more comfortable. I would like to put a backseat on there for my wife and I have seen some of the aftermarket ones for the RS and I really don't like the way they look. Is there anything closer to the look of an RT Backseat. I also recently ordered floorboards through ISCI whom I also purchased a handbrake through, because I have no right foot to press the brake and it works awesome. However, I ordered the floorboards because I keep having trouble with my prosthetic foot sliding off the peg, because I'm also having trouble with fitting issues with my prosthetic. The prosthetic actually comes really close to fitting in the front storage compartment, but like I said CLOSE. I was hoping I could get it in there as it would just be more comfortable to just take it off on a long ride. I was thinking about maybe tying it down or strapping it to the backseat as I could imagine I'd get some looks lol, but oh well. But with the floorboards the guys at ISCI said it was about a 3 hour job, I am retired now so I have plenty of time to figure this stuff out, but I was more so hoping I could just meet some good people that live in columbia, SC that would be willing to teach me how to work on this thing myself. I could figure it out, but there is only so many youtube videos, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person out there, but I catch on pretty fast, however somethings are just to advanced for me to figure out on my own. I have no problem paying someone to do the work, however I have quickly learned that when it comes to the world of recreational vehicles it seems the sales people and service people in a lot of shops are QUICK to lie and cheat and rip you off. I had a bad experience with capital city cycles in columbia, Sc and I won't say they ripped me off but the Guy at ISCI said that brake job specifically only takes about 1.50 hours, and the service guy at capital city cycles quoted me for 3 hours and said " oh if its less I will not charge you " yeah right. It just so happened to be exactly 3 hours. I did ask him to do a look over on the bike, but I don't even think he did that. Their customer service was terrible, and I will certainly never go there again. I'm just looking to meet some people on here I can trust maybe ever ride with. I recently also joined the patriot guard as they were their for me when I got hurt.
    if you where in ny i would work on any mod with you for free!!!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I too recommend the RAM Mount X-Grip. They even have sizes to fit Phablet size phones like the Note 4. A word of caution, I had just crested the 105mph mark on a day with a crosswind and lost my Note 2. Purely my fault though...it was a super windy day, and I was exceeding the speed limit a tad. I believe in the product so much that I got another Note phone and put it back on the X-Grip.

NOTE:
    On really windy days, I admit that I do put my phone in my tank bag or in my pocket.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use RAM mounts from Whitehorse Press, http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ram-mount-aqua-boxes-wide and http://www.whitehorsegear.com/mounts Been using these folks for years, never thought about shopping around, there may be better deals to be had.
    Regardless of the Avatar...call me "kliff," please Formerly VRCC # 1761
    2012 Neutron Green RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the x grip as well. It holds secure with no worries of anything falling out.
    However, I'm not totally happy with it. Not all that fond on how it still swivels once the phone is in place. Not a deal killer but my OCD struggles with the phone being crooked one way or another.
    Yes, you can adjust it to offset and be solid one direction, but it still will swivel once in awhile....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rbarber1 View Post

Hello Rbarber1, First let me say to the best Spyder site in the world.
    Yes you can get the X grip for just about any size tablet or phone from http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGr...7/Default.aspx if you search their site you will find everything you need to mount your gadgets. I also used http://www.powerlet.com to get the power for my devices. I wanted a portable set up so I used the battery tender SAE pigtail with a SAE 36" extension and a SAE to powerlet adapter cord. I plugged the 36" extension to the battery tender pigtail and run the wire up by the frame to the front of the Spyder to the handlebars and plugged in the SAE to powerlet adapter and used velcro wraps to connect to handlebars. I have the Kewl Metal console with 5" handlebars and the console has mountinf holes that I used fo my ram mounts. If you have the stock handlebar console you will need to find a good solution for your mount.
    As far as the backrest goes I have the Corbin saddle seats with their large backrest, however a really nice setup can be had from another one of our site sponcers http://www.smoothspyder.com/SmoothSpyder.com/Home.html with his dual mode backrest.
    I hope this helps you get what you need. Thanks for your service . Please let me know if you need futher assistance. Dennis

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

As all experienced bikers can tell you, you do NOT want to carry anything on a bike that you don't mind hitting the asphalt at 70 MPH. As such, not only do you want a secure mount, like the X-Grip, but you might also want to invest in a high quality case for your cell phone. I use the OtterBox, which may or may not be the best around. I read a review where someone stated they dropped their OtterBox encased cell on the road at 60 MPH and the cell survived unhurt, although the OtterBox was destroyed. I was also told about an EMT Tech who left his on the rear bumper of his ambulance & it was then run over by a firetruck. It survived.

I cannot say these stories are true, just that I read and was told about them. Something to consider...
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Phone mount

This could be the best price for the best mount.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Sp...MMountKit.aspx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Phone mount

Spyder Garage

There are a LOT of RAM ball mounts available all over the place... not sure if they're all by the same manufacturer or not. Also looking at the ones ya'll included links to, not sure how most would be mounted to an RS handlebar...

Clearly if a phone (or any sensitive electronic device) were to fall off while driving, it's most likely going to be a gonner. Ergo, the best cradle assembly possibly needs to be used, 1 that won't accidentally release if brushed by and arm or sleeve for example.

I realize I really want and need a RAM ball mount of some sort. That X-Grip looks questionable though... I may just need to see 1 in person to judge it correctly, but it looks like it'd be easy to hook 1 of the arms with a sleeve and have the phone unexpectedly ejected?

- Michael