Spyder Garage

Default Error Code Check Engine....not happy

So I've been reading about this P1614 code and am started to get to my wits end on this code. It's been 3 months now and have had nothing but problems that take time to fix. A month ago I drove up to the local grocery store just to grab some milk only to walk back out to the spyder that errored this code. This problem left me stranded only 10 mins from home but no way to get this bike home. They opened a case and updated something about TPS after the part came in. Here we are another month later and that code popped up again leaving me stuck 1 hour away from home. It would get into gear but only go like 5 mph and wasn't enough to get home. Turned off the bike for about 15 mins just to test it again and the check engine light was on along w/ this code. The only difference this time was that it actually gave me power to drive as usual. Of course I had to stare at the orange check engine screen the entire way home but now it sits in my garage. Yes I've contacted the dealer again and they are wanting to open another case with BRP to fix again. Right now, we are getting close to the Texas lemon laws and was curious if anyone else has gone thru this same situation.

I've searched the forums about this but it seems to be old posts but nothing recent from what I could find.

2013 ST-S w/ 4500 miles

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need a new Throttle Body. If it is a 2013 the recall was supposed to fix that.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Sounds like you need a new Throttle Body. If it is a 2013 the recall was supposed to fix that.
    Profile says 2013 ST-S

Dealer may be uninformed about the recall/fix

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Profile says 2013 ST-S

Dealer may be uninformed about the recall/fix
    There is also a new throttle body firmware upgrade that was released on October 6th, 2014. It is not a recall, nor is it mandatory but it may be worth having your dealer update the BUDS to get it loaded.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I started it up last night and drove like nothing was wrong with it yet the check engine light was still on and code is still there. The dealer has me coming in tomorrow but I'll mention the firmware update to them.

Thanks for the update so hopefully this gets cleared up fast. We have a few events coming up so the bike is needed soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sting1373 View Post
    I started it up last night and drove like nothing was wrong with it yet the check engine light was still on and code is still there. The dealer has me coming in tomorrow but I'll mention the firmware update to them.

Thanks for the update so hopefully this gets cleared up fast. We have a few events coming up so the bike is needed soon.
    Let us know what they find or do to resolve it.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The throttle bodies are acting up; tell the dealer to replace them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You may not necessarily need to replace the throttle body, I had a similar problem, and it turned out one of
    the butterflies in the throttle body was almost permanently closed, it made it idle erratically or not at all, and
    after a while it would give me the Orange Check Engine Screen. Once my dealer got it sorted I have had no issues
    at all.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's still under warranty; have them replace the unit; experiences in here have shown that once they act up; they're done for!

Spyder Garage

So I brought it into the shop but drove the whole way there with no throttle problems just the large check engine error on the screen. Once I got there, the dealer went to move it to the garage only to have no throttle response when we started it up. After pushing it into the garage, they updated the firmware with the latest version and the error still exists. They said the TPS was replaced 2 months ago so it shouldn't be the problem but they are still trying to figure it out.

Still another sad day for me. On the upside, this makes error number 2 under 12k miles so if this error code happens again, I'll file a claim to have the bike replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The throttle bodies are acting up; tell the dealer to replace them!

There is no lifespan on these some last forever others not.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    There is also a new throttle body firmware upgrade that was released on October 6th, 2014. It is not a recall, nor is it mandatory but it may be worth having your dealer update the BUDS to get it loaded.
    What years does the upgrade cover?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

10 days in and they fixed/cleared the throttle issue but now there is a problem with the starter. They are showing no power when attempting to push the starter. So they told me that they replaced the electronic starter on it, rplaced the wiring and still nothing. They filed a claim with BRP again about this issue... Only 2 payments into the bike and have only owned it for 3 months.

As for the upgrade, for Texas here is the info.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law

Now if you read the 30 day test rule, I'm actually almost passed that point. The first 2 repairs took 2 weeks and now we are 10 days in with no rental provided. Basically they have another 5 days but I'm not sure the throttle or starter is a serious/hazardous safety issue.

I'll be calling BRP today to explain

Spyder Garage

10 days in and they fixed/cleared the throttle issue but now there is a problem with the starter. They are showing no power when attempting to push the starter. So they told me that they replaced the electronic starter on it, replaced the wiring and still nothing. They filed a claim with BRP again about this new issue..... Only 2 payments into the bike and have only owned it for 3 months....

As for the upgrade for Texas here is the info.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law

Now if you read the 30 day test rule, I'm actually almost passed that point. The first 2 repairs took 2 weeks and now we are 10 days in with no rental provided. Basically they have another 5 days but I'm not sure the throttle or starter is a serious/hazardous safety issue.

I'll be calling BRP today to explain.

Spyder Garage

22 days later and I get the spyder back. Apparently there was an electrical problem near the kill switch. The guy said they had to test every wire on the bike to locate where the problem was but after completing the check, one of the kill switch wires was pinched causing it to think the switch was in the on position. They had to replace the entire assembly and wiring harness but now it works with no further problems (at least today). I made them do the 5k break in and they paid for it so just that saved me $500. Either way the file was already sent to the state so we will see how long the state takes care if the replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that your dealer stuck with it, and found the problem!
    Good Luck; here's to hoping that it is completely solved!