GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wanting music in my helmet

I had XM/Sirius installed when I purchased my 2014 RTS. I have difficulty hearing and often cannot hear my music coming from the speakers so I'm thinking it would help to have the music in my helmet. Am I correct in assuming that to do so I need to have the bluetooth dongle for audio sytem installed ($249.99) and also purchase the bluetooth communication system from BRP ($209.99)?

I do not own an Ipod, smart phone, or headset.
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Never wear a full hat, so it's never been a problem...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer should able to help your needs. Caution only, it may hinder your driving attention.

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I use a Sena Bluetooth headset with my iPhone and it works well, but wind noise can be a pain and overpowers the music. However, with custom moulded ear plugs in, the wind noise is suppressed and the music is louder and clearer. A win-win in my book!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have the sena blue tooth and get music from the phone or gps unit, as well as intercom, gps and phone calls. You do not have to have a smart phone, only a phone that is blue tooth capable.

Spyder Garage

To answer the OPs direct question. YES, you need the SENA bluetooth dongle and SENA bluetooth headsets to get the audio from your bike to your helmet. BRP sells the SENA dongle and headsets in their own boxes for a heafty markup.

The SENA dongle and headset works well and will do what you are asking. (Listen to your built in XM radio in your helmet). It will also do a lot of other things you did not ask about.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm just happy if I can get the voices in my head, all singing the same song...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    I had XM/Sirius installed when I purchased my 2014 RTS. I have difficulty hearing and often cannot hear my music coming from the speakers so I'm thinking it would help to have the music in my helmet. Am I correct in assuming that to do so I need to have the bluetooth dongle for audio sytem installed ($249.99) and also purchase the bluetooth communication system from BRP ($209.99)?

I do not own an Ipod, smart phone, or headset.
    Contact Dave (motorcycledave.com) he will give you a great price on sena products and will be glad to advise you on what you will need and how to set it up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    To answer the OPs direct question. YES, you need the SENA bluetooth dongle and SENA bluetooth headsets to get the audio from your bike to your helmet. BRP sells the SENA dongle and headsets in their own boxes for a heafty markup.

The SENA dongle and headset works well and will do what you are asking. (Listen to your built in XM radio in your helmet). It will also do a lot of other things you did not ask about.

thank you very much. your answer gave me exactly what i needed to know and in a way i could understand, i appreciate that.
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    Contact Dave (motorcycledave.com) he will give you a great price on sena products and will be glad to advise you on what you will need and how to set it up.

Thank you for telling me where to get a good price on what I need. I will contact him.
    Last edited by cohoff; 10-27-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You do not need the communication harness to have BT so you can hear your radio (or whatever comes out of the speakers).
    Since you have XM you already have the entertainment harness. Now you only need the Sena SM10 and the BT dongle cable and of course BT headsets.

You can make one if you like and save money see my post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...our-own-Dongle!

But since you have XM it is a different cable than I show in my video but the last posts in that thread I show some connectors to make the cable for use with XM (it connects to the Entertainment harness instead of directly to the radio).

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

I suggest having the Dongle mounted in the glove box. Makes turning on/off and removal real easy. I had it installed using velcro strips to mount it against the upper glove box wall.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    I suggest having the Dongle mounted in the glove box. Makes turning on/off and removal real easy. I had it installed using velcro strips to mount it against the upper glove box wall.
    Do you have any pictures of how you have it mounted.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You do not need the communication harness to have BT so you can hear your radio (or whatever comes out of the speakers).
    Since you have XM you already have the entertainment harness. Now you only need the Sena SM10 and the BT dongle cable and of course BT headsets.

You can make one if you like and save money see my post here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...our-own-Dongle!

But since you have XM it is a different cable than I show in my video but the last posts in that thread I show some connectors to make the cable for use with XM (it connects to the Entertainment harness instead of directly to the radio).

Bob
    Good info about the cable Bob. I will show this to my husband since he will be doing this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I hear music in my head all the time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of how you have it mounted.

Bill C.
    I'll take some and post them shortly

Spyder Garage

I'll take some and post them shortly
    Here are 2 pictures - you can disconnect the Dongle and take it out, or just turn it on and off from the glove box.

phpJncu5lPM.jpgphpT1yljUPM.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool, I thinking about putting it in the back but I definitely like that better and youhave a lot of extra cable. Thanks for the pictures.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Here are 2 pictures - you can disconnect the Dongle and take it out, or just turn it on and off from the glove box.

phpJncu5lPM.jpgphpT1yljUPM.jpg

I like your placement and appreciate you posting the pictures.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would not put the SM10 there on a 2013 or lower due to heat and possibly killing the SM10.

Cannot speak as to how much heat is there on a 2104.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black