Spyder Garage

Default Dipstick Part Number?

Like others I cross-threaded the oil dipstick on my 2014 STL. Does anyone know the part number offhand so I can replace it? I'm able to thread it correctly by being extra careful but it still pisses me off that I did it.

Trb--

Spyder Garage

Default Here ya go

dipstick part number 519000155

dip stick.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket Dipstick needed to replace the poorly designed one from BRP.

Sure wish one of our very smart aftermarket vendors would design and sell a better replacement dipstick.

There is NO REASON it needs to be so diffecult to thread into the opening and cause the cross thread. The problem is a simple design error in the stick. There is no pilot boss below the threads to line up the hole and threads. 3/8 of an inch of untreaded plastic below the threads the diameter of the root of the threads would make for a dipstick everyone could drop in and twist in easy. First try every time. its simple thread design 101 and the dipstick is just not right.

So, any vendors or machinists up for a project? I know I would buy one that actually worked.

While on the design board, two small holes in the lower part of the stick, one at min and one at max would allow you to read the level MUCH more easily. Simple go/no go reading.

JThornton, you listening? This one has you all over it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    While on the design board, two small holes in the lower part of the stick, one at min and one at max would allow you to read the level MUCH more easily. Simple go/no go reading.
    A minute or two with a Dremel and a small bit should solve this problem, wouldn't it?

Trb--

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIPSTICK

Sure wish one of our very smart aftermarket vendors would design and sell a better replacement dipstick.

There is NO REASON it needs to be so diffecult to thread into the opening and cause the cross thread. The problem is a simple design error in the stick. There is no pilot boss below the threads to line up the hole and threads. 3/8 of an inch of untreaded plastic below the threads the diameter of the root of the threads would make for a dipstick everyone could drop in and twist in easy. First try every time. its simple thread design 101 and the dipstick is just not right.

So, any vendors or machinists up for a project? I know I would buy one that actually worked.

JThornton, you listening? This one has you all over it.
    ......Actually a vendor here ( JThornton ) did make a BETA model ....I don't know if He is selling them tho...................I created a " THREADLESS " dipstick ( Bob Denman had one ) that I made from from some pieces of wood DOWEL of the appropriate size ( for the threaded hole ) ( it has to match so it goes in straight ).......Mine was only to be used to check for HOW much oil you had in the reservoir.........You still needed the OEM stick to seal the top...........just a thought................Mike

Spyder Garage

A sightglass in the tank would even be better

Or this is even better http://www.gaslock.de/basisprodukte-...essstab-en-us/
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 10-26-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    A minute or two with a Dremel and a small bit should solve this problem, wouldn't it?

Trb--

That was actually my first thought, but after looking it over a bit, you need at least 2 threads width of pilot boss, remove 2 threads and there does not leave enough to keep the reservoir sealed. There is less than one diameter of threads already which is about the minimum for plastic parts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That was actually my first thought, but after looking it over a bit, you need at least 2 threads width of pilot boss, remove 2 threads and there does not leave enough to keep the reservoir sealed. There is less than one diameter of threads already which is about the minimum for plastic parts.
    Actually I was talking about the holes for a quick go-no go view.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Why wouldn't they do a sight glass. My 1985 Yamaha has one..... [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Actually I was talking about the holes for a quick go-no go view.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oh, yea. Already did that with a small drill bit. Thanks.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame