Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT - Sound in Front Wheels

Hey guys we just bought our first Spyder Oct 16th. Beautiful Cognac 2014 RT Limited our first 3-wheel and my first motorcycle. After taking delivery and driving it for the first 200 miles we are discovering a sound in the front wheels almost like bad/sticking calipers (Swish-swish-swish-swish). It seems to move rapidly between the front tires and while doesn't seem to cause any handling issues it was not heard on any of the other spyders that we test drove. We have taken it back to the dealer 2x to have it looked at and while they hear the sound and they cannot find a cause of it.

I was wondering if anyone else had an experience like this and what was done to correct it. Looking forward to enjoying our spyder in the months and years to come.

Thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default noise

My 2014 Limited has the same kind of sound coming from the front end. Can not find noise.
    Had a HD that had the same sound never could find the noise. Please post if you find it.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like pretty basic yet annoying brake pads rubbing slightly on the discs. Not so much a stuck caliper or bent disc.

Since it is fronts, loosen and retorque the front wheels with a good torque wrench.

Outside that, bed the brakes in with some reasonably hard stops and keep the brakes hot between stops.

More common is where riders mention squeaky brakes, often that is from dust.

At 200 miles, give the machine some time to breakin. Not just the brakes, but the entire machine will have a smoother feel with some miles on it.

If anything, keep an eye out for the belt not tracking properly. Many machines have had the belt setting as delivered ride towards the inside flange on the rear pulley. This should be adjusted for proper clearance and belt tension. I doubt that this is your noise, but a rubbing belt on the flange does have its own musical note.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Experience

FWIW, my hearing is so bad and I don't wear my aids with helmet so I couldn't tell if my new '14 Cognac RT-S had any sounds from front wheels when I rode it home from the dealer on 10/4. I did and occasionally hear a minor brake pad squeak in reverse. The most noticeable thing is the increase in braking performance after the pads have bedded in. Give it some time and miles. Do make some hard stops like OP recommended.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any wheel weights stuck on your front rims? If so; check them for clearance around the calipers...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all for your insight

Thank you all for the insight. We have taken it back to the dealer like I had mentioned and they cleaned pads with air and then the second time took them off cleaned them and reinstalled them but the sound remains and was told this is not abnormal. I guess we will give it some more time to break in and turn the radio up for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sounds like pretty basic yet annoying brake pads rubbing slightly on the discs. Not so much a stuck caliper or bent disc.

Since it is fronts, loosen and retorque the front wheels with a good torque wrench.

Outside that, bed the brakes in with some reasonably hard stops and keep the brakes hot between stops.

More common is where riders mention squeaky brakes, often that is from dust.

At 200 miles, give the machine some time to breakin. Not just the brakes, but the entire machine will have a smoother feel with some miles on it.

If anything, keep an eye out for the belt not tracking properly. Many machines have had the belt setting as delivered ride towards the inside flange on the rear pulley. This should be adjusted for proper clearance and belt tension. I doubt that this is your noise, but a rubbing belt on the flange does have its own musical note.

PK
    I appreciate your diagnosis and descriptions, unfortunately we don't maintain our vehicles ourselves but I will work on bedding in the brakes and address the tech we bring it to. We do have an occasional squeak in the breaks but I don't think much of that. Will certainly keep your advice in mind about the tracking of the belt.

Do you have any wheel weights stuck on your front rims? If so; check them for clearance around the calipers...
    We do have wheel weights and they were addressed with the tech who dismissed them as the cause.

Spyder Garage

Just so you are aware, bedding in the brakes normally just happens with a few hard stops by the operator, typically the owner. Nothing crazy, just more brakes than you would normally use while riding, unless an emergency.

Belt tension and alignment is often left for the shops to address. I will offer that if you continue with those issues, possibly you might take a run across SR80 and I can have a look. Entirely your call.

All the best with it. These truly are a fun machine for Florida.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default yep

Yes brake pads dragging very lightly, step on brake noise goes away
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMen View Post
    Hey guys we just bought our first Spyder Oct 16th. Beautiful Cognac 2014 RT Limited our first 3-wheel and my first motorcycle. After taking delivery and driving it for the first 200 miles we are discovering a sound in the front wheels almost like bad/sticking calipers (Swish-swish-swish-swish). It seems to move rapidly between the front tires and while doesn't seem to cause any handling issues it was not heard on any of the other spyders that we test drove. We have taken it back to the dealer 2x to have it looked at and while they hear the sound and they cannot find a cause of it.

I was wondering if anyone else had an experience like this and what was done to correct it. Looking forward to enjoying our spyder in the months and years to come.

Thanks!
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

PK, Thanks for the offer if things continue we may certainly take you up on that offer. We've been having a great time with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Just so you are aware, bedding in the brakes normally just happens with a few hard stops by the operator, typically the owner. Nothing crazy, just more brakes than you would normally use while riding, unless an emergency.

Belt tension and alignment is often left for the shops to address. I will offer that if you continue with those issues, possibly you might take a run across SR80 and I can have a look. Entirely your call.

All the best with it. These truly are a fun machine for Florida.

PK