Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIND???

Spyder Garage

Default WIND???

has anyone noticed that a some of mods (lg windshields and saddle bags) seam to effect riding at high speeds...windshield i wont even bring u again ... but i bought a set of nelson rigg bags and all though i only bought them for long trips i put them on bike to see how they would perform under high speed driving ... i noticed i can feel drag at around 60-70 maybe its just me but has anyone else had this problem ... i know its not in my head i can feel difference i know a lot of you have done these modifications just seeing your opinion ...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Good post, Tattoo Dude!
    Since, those are the type of bags that I plan to get, I am interested in your feedback, for sure. It would seem to me that the $1700 Corbin hard bags would have the same effect, as well. I know they are more streamlined. But, I bet the effect is quite similar.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    Good post, Tattoo Dude!
    Since, those are the type of bags that I plan to get, I am interested in your feedback, for sure. It would seem to me that the $1700 Corbin hard bags would have the same effect, as well. I know they are more streamlined. But, I bet the effect is quite similar.
    the bags werent as bad as the windshield but i could feel the difference
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    the bags werent as bad as the windshield but i could feel the difference
    Yea i would imagine the windshield would cause some serious drag...that is one reason i don't want to add a larger one. I'm actually thinking of going smaller with the Sport.

I am wanting to get some of these bags though for long trips
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak mini sport bags and I can't tell any difference with them on or off. Of course they are on the small side and would not have the same effect as larger ones.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zzneonzz View Post
    I'm actually thinking of going smaller with the Sport.

I am wanting to get some of these bags though for long trips
    Cool! Maybe you and I can do a group buy, Tim! We want the same stuff!
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've noticed it with my windshield and my GIVI's. I guess anything that increases surface area can create drag and resistance. Still prefer them on rather than off. Everything is a trade of some kind.

Spyder Garage

Anything that increases the frontal area, or even the rear area, will increase the drag. That applies to fairings, windshields, bags, and topcases. Some are more aerodynamic than others, so it is not strictly a function of size, but very few accessories are designed to improve the aerodynamics of the entire vehicle (like a road race fairing on a bike) so there will usually be an overall increase in the amount of drag. Some items, in combination with some vehicles, will make things so squirrely that handling is affected. It is a personal choice, and usually a trade off. Decide what your needs and desires are, and go from there, keeping in mind there is no free lunch.
    -Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Big Time
    Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Anything that increases the frontal area, or even the rear area, will increase the drag. That applies to fairings, windshields, bags, and topcases. Some are more aerodynamic than others, so it is not strictly a function of size, but very few accessories are designed to improve the aerodynamics of the entire vehicle (like a road race fairing on a bike) so there will usually be an overall increase in the amount of drag. Some items, in combination with some vehicles, will make things so squirrely that handling is affected. It is a personal choice, and usually a trade off. Decide what your needs and desires are, and go from there, keeping in mind there is no free lunch.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

thank you too all, anything (except law enforcement) that slows it down stays off ... unless going on trip i'll strap bags on ... my opinion
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H. View Post
    Good post, Tattoo Dude!

I bet that looking streamlined and actually being streamlined are two different things as far as they are concerned. They are pretty big so they must affect the Spyders wind performance.

I can feel the wind resistance effects of my slider windshield or my EVO II windshield for sure. My GIVI bags, while I'm sure they do affect the Spyder in the wind, aren't as noticable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    has anyone noticed that a some of mods (lg windshields and saddle bags) seam to effect riding at high speeds...windshield i wont even bring u again ... but i bought a set of nelson rigg bags and all though i only bought them for long trips i put them on bike to see how they would perform under high speed driving ... i noticed i can feel drag at around 60-70 maybe its just me but has anyone else had this problem ... i know its not in my head i can feel difference i know a lot of you have done these modifications just seeing your opinion ...
    I actually like being in the wind so I kept the stocker shield on. I put their touring shield on but didn't like the looks. I get more wind on this than my softail and I like it that way Highway beats me up a little but there are always rest breaks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    I actually like being in the wind
    I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue. Trying to convince the husband that any money I save him on that upgrade should be added to my riding wardrobe $$'s .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue. Trying to convince the husband that any money I save him on that upgrade should be added to my riding wardrobe $$'s .
    You got a point there about us being shorter. And I'll definitely to that about the riding wardrobe! HDX got me two Can Am shirts - I love them - I want more of them!

Spyder Garage

I'm with you - I don't really feel any "buffet-ing" - it's stable, just the feel of the wind against me. 'Course the fact that we're about a foot shorter than a bunch of these guys might make it a little less of an issue.
    I'll second the notion about no buffeting. I am six feet, and the wind is steady with the stock shield. A lot of it comes around the stock shield, cowl, and body, and hits low. Still plenty windy for a geezer that likes to turn on the heated grips, hide behind the electric windshield and fairing on his BMW, and hit the highway. I would mind less if a lot of that steady wind didn't come right in the bottom of my helmet, even with the chin skirt on it. Still, no changes planned for the now, after seven months of riding. The Spyder is better than our naked bikes by far. Doesn't try to suck the helmet right off my head like some.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

While I'm sure there is drag with the windshield the wind would be hitting the rider without it. In my case I don't think that would improve the drag much. I did remove my windshield and it is much more difficult to hang on. With the Calsci windshield it does throw the Spyder around more, without it the rider gets thrown around.

Spyder Garage

I'll be getting either the Nelson Rigg, or Cortech soft bags for trips. But, they won't be on the Spyder except during those times.
    - Greg

Previously owned...

Spyder Garage

Default Wind handling

Just recently purchased my RT.

Question:

Are there any adjustments that can be made to a RT to control the wind handling. If I am riding in a crosswind of 15 MPH or higher, it feels like I am on a pair of water skis, from about 30mph and higher. ex. increase front air pressure, tighten shocks,????? anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBen View Post

Question:

Are there any adjustments that can be made to a RT to control the wind handling. If I am riding in a crosswind of 15 MPH or higher, it feels like I am on a pair of water skis, from about 30mph and higher. ex. increase front air pressure, tighten shocks,????? anything.
    Try 16-20 psi of pressure in the front tires, and jacking up the front preload adjusters a notch or two. Experiment a bit. I prefered 17-18 in the tires and the shocks set at 5 (highest). Be sure to jack up the Spyder and lubricate the shock adjusters with WD-40 before you change the preload setting. It may also help to concentrate on loosening your grip and not overcorrecting. In the end, a sway bar or aftermarket shocks may suit your needs better. It is something you have to get used to on any motorcycle...and particularly on the Spyder RT. If your Spyder is also unpredictable on bumps, and seems to hunt going down the road without the wind, you may need a toe-in adjustment.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't ride a RT - just a RS with stock shield, but I'm going to suggest that some of the feeling you are experiencing isn't so much wind buffeting from the windshield but actually transference of motion from your shoulders/arms down into the handlebar input. I don't know how much riding experience you've had in the past, but it takes a couple of hundred miles (+/-) to realize that you need to totally relax your arms/shoulders and only barely hold the grips to drive. Any tension (or wind) hitting your upper body travels right down into the bars and gives you that "riding on ice" sort of feeling.
    (Just posted this while Nancy's Toy was posting - same suggestion, but easier said than done sometimes!)

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBen View Post

Question:

Lossen your grip a little on the bars ' I'm willing to bet your not being blown around as much as you think.
    With two wheels in front and one in back you have the tail wagging the dog affect. Nature of the beast.
    After enough miles under your belt you won't notice it any more.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Wink

Sorry.. I have to say.... This MUST be a record of some kind.. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old thread
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Sorry.. I have to say.... This MUST be a record of some kind.. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old thread
    True...but new person questioning sooooo, nice people that SPyderlovers are, we all give him the benefit of our own experience. welcome

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

True...but new person questioning sooooo, nice people that SPyderlovers are, we all give him the benefit of our own experience. welcome
    Whats old for some, is new to others;
    That's what keeps this forum interesting.