Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Civil Penalties - bottom of page 12 (pdf)

Doubt there will be any foot dragging or failure to respond to these folks.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

I don't think BRP will be shaking in there boots yet, hopefully we will get some help now.

Spyder Garage

i didn't read the whole paper but did they give BRP a time limit to respond
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

First week of Dec. 2014

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I, for one < am hoping this is a case of patience (and being stubborn) will be a virtue in this case. Did you notice the recall compliance numbers? ~75% have had it done I wonder about the other 25% and how many potential melted MC and Evap canisters are ready to pop? That is the scariest part. Maybe some were trade ins
    Well I for one still have my 2013 RT (bought new Mar 1, 14) - but have NEVER received a recall notice.

Until today (since reading the NHTSA letter) I have been oblivious to the amount of recalls there have been & I must to admit to being somewhat shocked!

I am left wondering if any of the recalls were applied automatically by the service dept. when the bike was in for its 4000 mile oil change. All of my riding since having the bike have been approx. 200 mile round trips or less (typically only local within state short trips), during the summer the tank was hot when refueling and the panels / under seat & hot air near foot peg were getting really hot though luckily no gas smell!

Now that the cooler temps are here I have noticed a drop in heat when refueling and riding.

Actually my wife and I are planning riding our Spyders (hers is the 2012 RT LTD) to Eureka Springs Arkansas (pig trail) tomorrow and back Sunday from KC.

Crossing my fingers my 2013 RT is not one that is ready to POP as you say!
    (but I will be keeping a close watch on it when refueling)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2RTsGV View Post
    Well I for one still have my 2013 RT (bought new Mar 1, 14) - but have NEVER received a recall notice.

Until today (since reading the NHTSA letter) I have been oblivious to the amount of recalls there have been & I must to admit to being somewhat shocked!

I am left wondering if any of the recalls were applied automatically by the service dept. when the bike was in for its 4000 mile oil change. All of my riding since having the bike have been approx. 200 mile round trips or less (typically only local within state short trips), during the summer the tank was hot when refueling and the panels / under seat & hot air near foot peg were getting really hot though luckily no gas smell!

Now that the cooler temps are here I have noticed a drop in heat when refueling and riding.

Actually my wife and I are planning riding our Spyders (hers is the 2012 RT LTD) to Eureka Springs Arkansas (pig trail) tomorrow and back Sunday from KC.

Short answer is some do some don't it depends on the quality of the dealer.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Whoa!!

All this talk of fires and getting ready to pop makes you worry. I hope my 2012 LTD is in good shape. I don't want to ride in fear, and spending the kind of money for these machines, you shouldn't have to ride in fear. I hope BRP comes up with something good to relieve the owners and we can get back to enjoying these wonderful bikes and not worry, but just ride and have fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Sure does ..

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeflex42 View Post
    All this talk of fires and getting ready to pop makes you worry. I hope my 2012 LTD is in good shape. I don't want to ride in fear, and spending the kind of money for these machines, you shouldn't have to ride in fear. I hope BRP comes up with something good to relieve the owners and we can get back to enjoying these wonderful bikes and not worry, but just ride and have fun.

I couldn't agree more with you. Nothing worse than having a (25K+) machine sitting in the garage and being too worried to ride it any distance for fear it will burst into flames in some out of the way location.

I am left wondering if maybe they need to redesign & re-route the exhaust system for the pre 2014 models - afterall it does seem to be cause of the heat issues.

Spyder Garage

I couldn't agree more with you. Nothing worse than having a (25K+) machine sitting in the garage and being too worried to ride it any distance for fear it will burst into flames in some out of the way location.

I am left wondering if maybe they need to redesign & re-route the exhaust system for the pre 2014 models - afterall it does seem to be cause of the heat issues.
    Ceramic coated headers and proper gas tank and CAT insulation would help
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Did someone say ebola?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default BRP

SPYDER BYTE !!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I hope too. We havent had issues with the gas dripping but the heat has literally left burns on the inside of my wifes legs. And the fumes have been there from day one. Like everyone else, we were told "they all are like that". Well a few more months and maybe we will find out what all comes out in this.

Ours is a 11 RTS
    Now I think I understand your avatar. It's a mask for the gas fumes. Does it work??

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I hope this does not turn out like it did for the Corvair, or like it did for the Geo Tracker. Both were fine cars--for what they were-- and both are off the market now. You can't buy a Citroen in the U.S., and can't get a street legal Polaris (off-road) either.

I enjoy joy my Spyder. I hope it does not become only a memory.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Now I think I understand your avatar. It's a mask for the gas fumes. Does it work??

Jack
    Lol, nope my boy said I look like the Avatar when I have the CPAP machine on.
    Shane
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...in-lookup.html

on facebook BRP guy posted this link ......follow this link to see if your Spyder is in a recall.....mine had no recalls.....really??? just curious if any spyder shows a recall

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...in-lookup.html

on facebook BRP guy posted this link ......follow this link to see if your Spyder is in a recall.....mine had no recalls.....really??? just curious if any spyder shows a recall
    There have been no new recalls....yet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Did someone say ebola?

Chris
    No kidding...[emoji57]

Spyder Garage

You should not have been sent a recall letter.

U.S. Federal law prohibits a dealer from selling a recalled vehicle without first performing the recall work. S

Since the recall was released in September, 2013 and you did not buy your Spyder until March of 2014, it is most likely that the recall work had been completed before you bought it. It is very easy to tell . . . pop off the Tupperware on the right side and look at your master cylinder. If it is plain white plastic on top, the work was not done. If it is wrapped with insulation, it was done . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Bottom line I can recreate the fuel smell issue easily!
    1) Have about 1/3 of your gas tank full.
    2) Ride in stop and go traffic in 90F or above ambient temps for about 30 minutes.

Every time I have this combination the gas stink even while on the thing is pretty bad and there have been days I almost had to get off the thing as it was making me nauseous.

However, I have been doing what others suggested. Fill up the tank before going home.
    YES when I pop the cap off the gas is boiling so much you can hear it just standing next to it.
    But filling it up does calm down the issue so I can park in the garage without my wife freaking out but I have to ride it a few miles to let the evap can clear.
    Still some gas smell but certainly not as bad as had I not filled it up.

As far as heat, either I am tolerant or not having an issue.
    Yes with my NVB pegs the blow hole will burn you so it has to be blocked off to use those.
    But on the stock pegs, I only have a little discomfort and can feel the heat but not enough to make me stop riding it.

But, this is good news for us users. I will take any fix that solves the stink and the fumes which is a fire danger in my opinion. I have been grounding myself to the frame before opening the gas cap and other precautions to not ignite the fumes!

Lets all hope for a quick resolution to this

Bob
    Good Idea Bob about grounding to the frame before opening the gas lid, I hadn't done that but i will from now on. I am with you on the heat, i have ridden Harleys for yrs so that is not too much of a problem to me, but when my phone melts in the center console, its a tad bit too hot, IMHO!

Spyder Garage

Recall fix will be high if this makes it through the system... but can you imagine what the cost would be to BRP if there is/was a fire and fatality?

This company must not have a very good legal staff either.
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default NHTSA investigation update

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    Recall fix will be high if this makes it through the system... but can you imagine what the cost would be to BRP if there is/was a fire and fatality?

This company must not have a very good legal staff either.
    I have not seen the NHTSA investigation update were can I find it? I was giving the USDOT information on problems I have had on my 2012 RT Limited. I heard some people hadn't any problems, some had some problems, I think I got them all. In two years I had at least 15 problems some of them major ones in the past two years. RJ

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I and several others have submitted temp readings(with pictures) To both BRP and Bob Young the NHTSA investigator. so they can run but they can't hide. There are plenty of measurements others here have posted too and you know NHTSA has been pouring over the posts. They even include a screen shot of one of the posts here in the PDF. I and others have also posted pictures of the gas dripping from the EVAP hose. This whole mess includes ALL Spyders too not just 2013's. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am guessing Jan or Feb will be the conclusion of the investigation. If you have fuel smells after a ride it is last chance to file a complaint
    I thought just about everyone was having the gas smell problem. Are you thinking we all should be filing complaints regarding the smell?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 03hdjill View Post
    I thought just about everyone was having the gas smell problem. Are you thinking we all should be filing complaints regarding the smell?
    Why would you file a complaint if you don't have issues and only based on info your reading on an internet forum??

I've had no issues with my 12'. No issues with a real good friends 11' either. Actually, no complaints with my 12' at all. Its been one of the best, most reliable machines I've ever owned!