Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

By my best guess, the fumes and heat problems on the 2013s could be fixed for less than $5k per bike, including labor. Yes, a tidy sum but cheaper than buying the bikes back and they could likely bring the parts cost down by a number of means.

New body panels and air cleaner assembly to move air through the engine bay.
    Ceramic coated header pipes.
    double wall insulated fuel tank.
    Relocate the charcoal canister ala 2014s
    Reverse flow cooling fan at low speed or stopped ala 2014s

Even if they did all of this, its not the end of the Spyders financially. but I dare say, IF they did all this, the 2013s would be nearly as good a bike to ride as the 2014s except for the torque and fuel mileage of the ACE.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Time will tell...
    Tick... Tick... Tick...
    ve haf vays to make you tock, Denman!!!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    By my best guess, the fumes and heat problems on the 2013s could be fixed for less than $5k per bike, including labor. Yes, a tidy sum but cheaper than buying the bikes back and they could likely bring the parts cost down by a number of means.

Even if they did all of this, its not the end of the Spyders financially. but I dare say, IF they did all this, the 2013s would be nearly as good a bike to ride as the 2014s except for the torque and fuel mileage of the ACE.
    how many bikes that have the problem are in the states and even at 4k a bike what do you think would be the total cost
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    ve haf vays to make you tock, Denman!!!

thehawk
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

bet dealers are not looking forward to this as well. no telling how long they get strung out to be reimbursed.

if they come up with a dollar figure then I think they should make the offer to the owners and then let them either cash the check and deal with it themselves or take your bike to an authorized dealer and let them deal with it.

Spyder Garage

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

For now, our 2013s are running great. No thanks to BRP. We enjoy our rides very much but I can tell you, dropping another $25k to trade up to 2014s is not going to happen unless BRP takes that loss. (we have a pair of 2013 RT-Ses)
    with that 100%. (Well maybe 98% - the other 2% of me still wants a 2014. ) I have a 2013 RTL and while I did experience boiling fuel and bad gas smells a few times (in the beginning), I've never had the overflowing canister problem. But it was way too hot to enjoy riding in the summer. What I did was read all the heat resolution threads on this forum I could find, and then went about deciding a course of action that would both improve my comfort level and reduce the heat on the gas tank. I'm not quite done yet (bike in the shop getting a wrapped Lamonster cat bypass pipe as I type this), but I have already made a lot of progress on the problem. When I'm finished I'll have spent a little over $2800 of my own money resolving the heat and fuel problem, but I am enjoying the ride MUCH more than before and I now feel safe on it. And I love riding the thing now - any time of the year. That's a heck of a lot less than I would have had to pay to trade up to a new bike - especially since I've also added a bunch of farkles that were NOT heat related. So I'll be enjoying my 2013 RT for a few years to come. (If I could have done all the work myself the cost would have been a lot less, as a lot of the money I spent went to labor costs.)

And who knows... Depending on what the recall fixes are, I may get a little of that money back, since all the work has been documented by my dealer.
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    As soon as someone starts paying my way

I'll start listening to how they want me to waste THEIR money. Till then....ah, never mind.
    But you've put a lot of effort into resolving the heat problem, Jerbear. I remember your "Dragon is Dead" thread. Hasn't that resulted in a lot less heat for you? Are you still having problems?
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could be wrong...
    But didn't he sell his, and go back to a "leaner"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    with that 100%. (Well maybe 98% - the other 2% of me still wants a 2014. ) I have a 2013 RTL and while I did experience boiling fuel and bad gas smells a few times (in the beginning), I've never had the overflowing canister problem. But it was way too hot to enjoy riding in the summer. What I did was read all the heat resolution threads on this forum I could find, and then went about deciding a course of action that would both improve my comfort level and reduce the heat on the gas tank. I'm not quite done yet (bike in the shop getting a wrapped Lamonster cat bypass pipe as I type this), but I have already made a lot of progress on the problem. When I'm finished I'll have spent almost $4000 resolving the heat and fuel problem, but I am enjoying the ride MUCH more than before and I now feel safe on it. And I love riding the thing now - any time of the year. That's a heck of a lot less than I would have had to pay to trade up to a new bike - especially since I've also added a bunch of farkles that were NOT heat related. So I'll be enjoying my 2013 RT for a few years to come. (If I could have done all the work myself the cost would have been a lot less, as a lot of the money I spent went to labor costs.)

And who knows... Depending on what the recall fixes are, I may get a little of that money back, since all the work has been documented by my dealer.

just curious and I am sure you covered it in another thread, but what was the $4k spent on?

Spyder Garage

Red face Heat felt by the rider

But you've put a lot of effort into resolving the heat problem, Jerbear. I remember your "Dragon is Dead" thread. Hasn't that resulted in a lot less heat for you? Are you still having problems?
    "A lot less heat" Yes! A lot less heat felt by the rider. Both on the right foot and in the thigh area. Until ambient temps exceed 100 degress. Then the thighs start to slow broast from under tupperware heat. But, my right foot no longer cooks.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Red face Sell my spyder?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I could be wrong...
    But didn't he sell his, and go back to a "leaner"?
    No way!

But, I love the FJR too.

Now, if only I had more time to ride...

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Jer!
    I sure don't mind being wrong; THIS time!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i didn't know the stated was their largest market, i figured canada would be
    John, I got thinking about this so I Googled some population numbers. ( I was surprised) In round numbers; Canada - 31 Million, USA 331 Million, China 1.35 Billion, India - 1.2 billion. With these numbers and the limited riding to the north I would think that the Canadian market would be about 5 to 8 % of the American sales at best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    John, I got thinking about this so I Googled some population numbers. ( I was surprised) In round numbers; Canada - 31 Million, USA 331 Million, China 1.35 Billion, India - 1.2 billion. With these numbers and the limited riding to the north I would think that the Canadian market would be about 5 to 8 % of the American sales at best.
    I think the total number mentioned in the NHTSA report was 52,000 machines sold through 2013. That could be a total number manufactured but it may be the total number exported to the USA.

If Canada accounts for 5% that would only be 2,600 in sales. Not all of Canada is snowbound for most of the year and the most populous provinces have a pretty long riding season. I would guess the market penetration would be higher in Canada than the US because BRP is better known although some of that publicity is negative due to the Government underwriting some of their development costs. My estimate would be 6 to 7,000 Spyders sold in Canada.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    just curious and I am sure you covered it in another thread, but what was the $4k spent on?
    Sorry, I misspoke. Should have looked it up before posting. After I pay the bill for wrapping and installing the cat bypass next week, I figure I will have spent a little over $2800 of my own money in addressing heat related problems. (The other $1200 was for non-related repairs and farkles over the past few months.)

Here is the thread that addresses the heat related stuff I did this past July.
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-05-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I misspoke. Should have looked it up before posting. After I pay the bill for wrapping and installing the cat bypass next week, I figure I will have spent a little over $2800 of my own money in addressing heat related problems. (The other $1200 was for non-related repairs and farkles over the past few months.)

Here is the thread that addresses the heat related stuff I did this past July.

OK ... that makes a little more sense.

The two things that I did that have helped out the most were (a) JT's Air Breather (removing the airbox) and (b) Baker Air Wings.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I think the total number mentioned in the NHTSA report was 52,000 machines sold through 2013. That could be a total number manufactured but it may be the total number exported to the USA.

If Canada accounts for 5% that would only be 2,600 in sales. Not all of Canada is snowbound for most of the year and the most populous provinces have a pretty long riding season. I would guess the market penetration would be higher in Canada than the US because BRP is better known although some of that publicity is negative due to the Government underwriting some of their development costs. My estimate would be 6 to 7,000 Spyders sold in Canada.
    90% of Canadians live within a band no more than 100 miles from the U.S. border. Population wise we use a factor of 10 as in if at product had a market share of 1000 in Canada it would be 10000 in the US. It is easy to see why items common between the two countries are most often cheaper in the US.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

OK, the deadline has passed. There were several folk here that had direct contact with reps at the NHTSA, could one of you check with them just to find out IF BRP actually responded or if they filed for an extension to drag this out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

OK, the deadline has passed. There were several folk here that had direct contact with reps at the NHTSA, could one of you check with them just to find out IF BRP actually responded or if they filed for an extension to drag this out.
    I sent an Email to Bob Young, the Vehicle Defects Investigator for NHTSA with those questions. I would expect a reply maybe Monday. I will post his answer on a separate thread.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Complaint to BRP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I and several others have submitted temp readings(with pictures) To both BRP and Bob Young the NHTSA investigator. so they can run but they can't hide. There are plenty of measurements others here have posted too and you know NHTSA has been pouring over the posts. They even include a screen shot of one of the posts here in the PDF. I and others have also posted pictures of the gas dripping from the EVAP hose. This whole mess includes ALL Spyders too not just 2013's. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am guessing Jan or Feb will be the conclusion of the investigation. If you have fuel smells after a ride it is last chance to file a complaint
    I have had this issue from the first day but just dealt with it as just the way it is. I now have over 25,000 miles on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I sent an Email to Bob Young, the Vehicle Defects Investigator for NHTSA with those questions. I would expect a reply maybe Monday. I will post his answer on a separate thread.

Great! Thanks

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'd bet they could do it a lot cheaper . . . a CAT delete (and if a CAT is a mandatory requirement, a new muffler, with the CAT at the end of it, rather than under the Tupperware), an air filter like yours, to provide more airflow, and some redesign for the bottom of the radiator outflow, so the hot air went down, rather than straight at one's foot, and added insulation for the gas tank . . . I'd bet they could do it for less that $1,500 per Spyder . . . of course, I've been wrong, before!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the thing that gets me is that they have not been taking off the market they are still pushing them

Spyder Garage

what i wonder is if they don't come up with a fix, can the the safety board stop them from selling them here in the states
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME