Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

If I had one of the heat problem bikes
    I could not just sell it to another person
    If that person had a fire and there house burned down, or they got hurt, or, god forbid someone was killed
    I would feel like I just shot someone
    I would have to live with that the rest of my life
    I am not like that
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Don, too bad BRP doesn't have your morales I think they are darn lucky no one has burned to death ( yet )
    and I sure hope it never happens for everyone concerned.

Spyder Garage

While the fires are a terrible thing and someone is likely to get hurt if this goes on, It would be pretty hard to get trapped on a burning bike and not be able to get off and get away. Its not nearly as worrysome to me as a fire prone car. Sure, the loss would be financially large, but its pretty unlikely I would get seriously hurt if my Spyder caught fire. They don't explode without warning. I can say, if mine caught fire, I'd likely not risk any sort of injury to try and put it out. Let it go. Insurance and BRP can fight over who's problem it is.

For now, our 2013s are running great. No thanks to BRP. We enjoy our rides very much but I can tell you, dropping another $25k to trade up to 2014s is not going to happen unless BRP takes that loss. (we have a pair of 2013 RT-Ses)

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Red face As soon as someone starts paying my way

I'll start listening to how they want me to waste THEIR money. Till then....ah, never mind.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    While the fires are a terrible thing and someone is likely to get hurt if this goes on, It would be pretty hard to get trapped on a burning bike and not be able to get off and get away. Its not nearly as worrysome to me as a fire prone car. Sure, the loss would be financially large, but its pretty unlikely I would get seriously hurt if my Spyder caught fire. They don't explode without warning. I can say, if mine caught fire, I'd likely not risk any sort of injury to try and put it out. Let it go. Insurance and BRP can fight over who's problem it is.

For now, our 2013s are running great. No thanks to BRP. We enjoy our rides very much but I can tell you, dropping another $25k to trade up to 2014s is not going to happen unless BRP takes that loss. (we have a pair of 2013 RT-Ses)
    I must disagree with you. There are plenty of Spyder riders that would have trouble getting off quickly without getting burned. First of all you have to find a place to stop. I was travelling at freeway speed when mine caught fire, lucky for me I was in a construction zone and there was only one lane of traffic with a break down lane. Imagine if I had been in the middle lane of 3 or 4 going CA freeway speed and had to get to the shoulder quickly without getting run over. I think that if you got hit by a vehicle while trying to get to the shoulder to get off your burning Spyder that would also be a bad thing. Or would you suggest just stopping in the lane and jumping off and risking getting hit by traffic? That thought scared the you know what out of me. How about people riding 2 up? Or our enabled riders? Those with bad hips and knees, those with handicapped tags? If you consider a few seconds of smoke "not exploding without warning" then you certainly don't have anything to worry about.

I'm happy that you aren't worried and that you will be safe in the event of a fire. Let's just hope that everyone will be that lucky.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I must disagree with you. There are plenty of Spyder riders that would have trouble getting off quickly without getting burned. First of all you have to find a place to stop. I was travelling at freeway speed when mine caught fire, lucky for me I was in a construction zone and there was only one lane of traffic with a break down lane. Imagine if I had been in the middle lane of 3 or 4 going CA freeway speed and had to get to the shoulder quickly without getting run over. I think that if you got hit by a vehicle while trying to get to the shoulder to get off your burning Spyder that would also be a bad thing. Or would you suggest just stopping in the lane and jumping off and risking getting hit by traffic? That thought scared the you know what out of me. How about people riding 2 up? Or our enabled riders? Those with bad hips and knees, those with handicapped tags? If you consider a few seconds of smoke "not exploding without warning" then you certainly don't have anything to worry about.

I'm happy that you aren't worried and that you will be safe in the event of a fire. Let's just hope that everyone will be that lucky.

I was looking at it from my perspective, not trying to suggest BRP should not have to fix them. They must and I do agree many would have more problems and take longer to pull over and get off than I would. I suppose I was trying to respond to the folks suggesting I give up and trade the bikes in. We are riding our 13s, they are doing OK while waiting on an update. Not parked and not going to let the fire danger keep us from riding. Also not going to fork out $25,000 to fix BRPs mistakes. They WILL fix these or buy them back.

Or insurance will buy me a replacement if our indeed do succumb to fire. But that is not likely with our revisions.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-30-2014 at 08:42 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I was looking at it from my perspective, not trying to suggest BRP should not have to fix them. They must and I do agree many would have more problems and take longer to pull over and get off than I would. I suppose I was trying to respond to the folks suggesting I give up and trade the bikes in. We are riding our 13s, they are doing OK while waiting on an update. Not parked and not going to let the fire danger keep us from riding. Also not going to fork out $25,000 to fix BRPs mistakes. They WILL fix these or buy them back.

Or insurance will buy me a replacement if our indeed do succumb to fire. But that is not likely with our revisions.
    Both are excellent posts. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

The sad part is that all the people that took the hit and traded their 2013 in on a 2014 will more than likely get no money back from BRP. So now they enjoy the ride of a $35,000-$40,000 Spyder. At least it helped BRP see what people are willing to spend on a Spyder! Unless prices change (for the better) I believe I'm a one and done with purchasing a new Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    The sad part is that all the people that took the hit and traded their 2013 in on a 2014 will more than likely get no money back from BRP. So now they enjoy the ride of a $35,000-$40,000 Spyder. At least it helped BRP see what people are willing to spend on a Spyder! Unless prices change (for the better) I believe I'm a one and done with purchasing a new Spyder.
    Agreed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    Agreed.
    I agree I have a 2011 RS-S SE5 from July 2011 after about 2 1/2 years it started to have problems. That's not bad, the bad part is it a long lead time on parts. My Spyder was a the dealers from 9/30/2014 to 11/29/2014 due to parts. The tech went through 2 TCM modules, 3 transmission sensors, and a shifter paddle, so it took a about a week to get the parts from BRP. That's why Spyders have a poor ratting of keeping Spyders on the road. BRP does not care once you drive off lot and they have your money. I don't think there worth $20,000 to $30,000. I have to 2016 on my Warranty, after that I strip it down for parts. I will not buy another Spyder.
    That's IMHO.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, I for one know of ONE sale that all this comedy has cost. My wife was all set to pull the trigger on an RT but has since backed off. I for one don't want her riding a vehicle that may or may not make it home. I had a '57 HD that was a pos and I don't need another. I also don't want my garage burned down, my house burned down, or anything else burned down. I do not want anyone in my family or anyone else hurt. I do not want a machine that spends more time at a dealer who may or may not have any idea what he is doing. I do not want to purchase a machine from a company who may not come out of this debacle. This is not "bashing" anyone or any company, but to release a machine like this on the public needs some answers. I feel for the guys that are having problems. If I paid what they get for these things and had the problems, I would be p.o.ed too. For some, riding is not just a "hobby" either. I am sure there have been many folks who have changed their minds about a purchase.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I agree I have a 2011 RS-S SE5 from July 2011 after about 2 1/2 years it started to have problems. That's not bad, the bad part is it a long lead time on parts. My Spyder was a the dealers from 9/30/2014 to 11/29/2014 due to parts. The tech went through 2 TCM modules, 3 transmission sensors, and a shifter paddle, so it took a about a week to get the parts from BRP. That's why Spyders have a poor ratting of keeping Spyders on the road. BRP does not care once you drive off lot and they have your money. I don't think there worth $20,000 to $30,000. I have to 2016 on my Warranty, after that I strip it down for parts. I will not buy another Spyder.
    That's IMHO.

Mike
    I have a 2008 PE #301 purchased in November 2007, that will be stripped down and sold for parts next year. Have had gas smell from day one , dps &Heating issues I have never trusted it on the road.
    Last edited by ivanlee; 11-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    That's IMHO.

Mike
    My 2013 STL was in the shop for about 2 months last April to June to fix the stalling issue that had eluded my mechanic since I bought it in May of 2013 first they thought it might be transmission/clutch plate related as it always shuttered when in reverse since new
    so they fixed that and asked if they could keep it to ride a few times and make sure the stalling was gone I was completely ok because I wanted it fixed as bad as they did that fixed the shuddering but not the stalling so per direction of BRP they replaced the spark plugs and wires purge valve for the second time kept it to test drive, that didn't fix it so then they replaced the throttle body, kept it to test drive and finally no more stalling I was extremely happy with the results as it never ran so dang good wow totally worth the wait I have put about 4K on since with no issues but it does scare me when the extended warranty runs out if I can afford to keep it running I am hoping they have worked all the bugs out and none of these were heat related and with any luck BRP will come up with a good solution to the heat and gas fume issue I do have to say the heat is better with the air scoop panels except in stop and go traffic or really hot weather. I love ryding my STL and am pulling for BRP to help fix all the issues for everyones benefit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by soreknuckles View Post
    Well, I for one know of ONE sale that all this comedy has cost. My wife was all set to pull the trigger on an RT but has since backed off. I for one don't want her riding a vehicle that may or may not make it home. I had a '57 HD that was a pos and I don't need another. I also don't want my garage burned down, my house burned down, or anything else burned down. I do not want anyone in my family or anyone else hurt. I do not want a machine that spends more time at a dealer who may or may not have any idea what he is doing. I do not want to purchase a machine from a company who may not come out of this debacle. This is not "bashing" anyone or any company, but to release a machine like this on the public needs some answers. I feel for the guys that are having problems. If I paid what they get for these things and had the problems, I would be p.o.ed too. For some, riding is not just a "hobby" either. I am sure there have been many folks who have changed their minds about a purchase.
    No, riding is not a 'hobby' for me either. Riding a '09 GS that has had no problems.

Don't know why you're comparing a '57 HD with what ever year, except a '13 RT, that your beloved wants to buy. Don't know when you bought the '57, but the older the bike, the more TLC/mechanical skills you need. Rebuilding a '98 HD evo carburetor as we speak.

Feel sorry for you wife...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    No, riding is not a 'hobby' for me either. Riding a '09 GS that has had no problems.

Don't know why you're comparing a '57 HD with what ever year, except a '13 RT, that your beloved wants to buy. Don't know when you bought the '57, but the older the bike, the more TLC/mechanical skills you need. Rebuilding a '98 HD evo carburetor as we speak.

Feel sorry for you wife...
    Not a hobby? What is it then? Are you paid to ride a spyder? Or are you required to ride a spyder?
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 11-30-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

lets see if you understand this,,, i ride to live BUT i don't live to ride,,,does that make sense
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    lets see if you understand this,,, i ride to live BUT i don't live to ride,,,does that make sense
    I hate to say this; but, Drew has/wins this one.

And, DrewNJ is my hobby. I don't get paid to read his posts, and they're not required reading; but, I enjoy the hell out of his argumentative stance, in my leisure time.

DrewNJ, does that pretty much cover it?
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-30-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The majority of us ride our spyders for the same reason. Its something we enjoy, that also distracts us from some of the aggravations in life that we don't enjoy so much.
    However, when the hobby (yes, hobby) becomes part of the aggravation that its supposed to be distracting us from, then that's when its time to find a new hobby.
    And I have to say, there are some VERY miserable folks on here right now. Maybe its time to cut loose and move on for some??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I hate to say this; but, Drew has/wins this one.

And, DrewNJ is my hobby. I don't get paid to read his posts, and they're not required reading; but, I enjoy the hell out of his argumentative stance, in my leisure time.

DrewNJ, does that pretty much cover it?
    glad I'm able to entertain....[emoji13] [emoji106]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The majority of us ride our spyders for the same reason. Its something we enjoy, that also distracts us from some of the aggravations in life that we don't enjoy so much.
    However, when the hobby (yes, hobby) becomes part of the aggravation that its supposed to be distracting us from, then that's when its time to find a new hobby.
    And I have to say, there are some VERY miserable folks on here right now. Maybe its time to cut loose and move on for some??
    I think everyone has a right to post what they want after all you don't have to read it either, I don't agree with everything that is said on here but I don't feel the need to try to rub their nose in it if I don't agree with what they are saying after all misery loves company

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    I think everyone has a right to post what they want after all you don't have to read it either, I don't agree with everything that is said on here but I don't feel the need to try to rub their nose in it if I don't agree with what they are saying after all misery loves company
    I agree 100%!

Spyder Garage

I will agree, some but not all are just miserable.

As mentioned, it is a hobby, people, life is short and you should do your best to have fun. If the Spyder as is doesn't do it, then make a change. Change is to either make the proper mods, or find something better to ride, lastly find a non moto hobby and enjoy that.

If your hobby is just complaining, being negative and closed minded, some people here are living the dream.

I certainly hope BRP brings you good news. Just realize, it may not be the fumes and fire killing you, the mental anguish is doing rather well in that department.

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I guess it's hard for some to understand, but some folks ride motorcycles and spyders as their main form of transportation, weather permitting. Riding to work or calling on customers is not a "hobby". I'm sorry you can't get that. I'm glad to see how some of you act when you disagree.....I'm gone.........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a hobby? What is it then? Are you paid to ride a spyder? Or are you required to ride a spyder?
    What to you; is just a "Hobby"...

...May just be a "Way of Life"; to others...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black