Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Checking oil level on 2014 RT.

Did I read correctly that you need to let your 1332 idle 30 minutes before checking the oil level?? I think I read this posted by a BRP person, and I THINK I read that in the owners manual. I hope I am wrong.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

You heard right...but...I would just check the oil after a nice ride.

Most are reporting zero oil usage in between changes which are at 3000 initial and then every 9300 or once a year, whichever comes first.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cognac View Post
    Did I read correctly that you need to let your 1332 idle 30 minutes before checking the oil level?? I think I read this posted by a BRP person, and I THINK I read that in the owners manual. I hope I am wrong.

I usually check the oil after riding or during a stop along the ride that way the motor is warmed up and the oil has been circulating for a while.
    You can check the oil with after the prescribed idling periodbut its more fun to ride it and then check the oil JMHO
    Glad to see that you bought a new spyder I am getting a 2015 Rt limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George,
    Just give the bike a nice half-hour warm-up jog...
    You'll probably be ready to stop for coffee and pie anyway!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I let the fans cycle 3 times, then shut it off and check it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you. Waiting 30 minutes is not acceptable at my age...hell, that is a big part of my future....ha ha

I bought the '14 vs the '15 for several reasons. Much better deal. I have known this dealer for a long time and he is honest when he said the '15 has few changes, will cost me much more to trade and showed me the difference....when I told my wife of the savings she was thrilled....this good lady, always practical, said "Oh good, now I won't have to work overtime Christmas eve at the saw mill."

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George,
    You treat that Beautiful Bride of yours so well; I hope that she appreciates it!

Spyder Garage

Default Mine is same level even when cold

Just for grins, I have checked mine cold, usually the next day, and its always at the same spot as when its thoroughly hot. Don't know if they're all like that or not, but you might check just for fun.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Just for grins, I have checked mine cold, usually the next day, and its always at the same spot as when its thoroughly hot. Don't know if they're all like that or not, but you might check just for fun.
    Hmmm, I will check it cold and after my ride. Odd Thanks

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

....when I told my wife of the savings she was thrilled....this good lady, always practical, said "Oh good, now I won't have to work overtime Christmas eve at the saw mill."

I think I would really like your wife if I ever got to meet her!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I think I would really like your wife if I ever got to meet her!
    Art, she is a good lady, but kinda old and withered now. Before we moved to Texas, she put 19 years in a coal mine but she is happy now as the saw mill is easier work. Had her around over 55 years and sorta getting used to her.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Spyder Garage

Default Page 124 RT Operators Manual

[QUOTE=Mr. Cognac. Did I read correctly that you need to let your 1332 idle 30 minute checking the oil level?? I think I read this posted by a BRP person, and I THINK I read that in the owners manual. I hope I am wrong.

[/QUOTE]
    Page 124 of the RT Operators Manual states an idling time of 30 seconds at operating temperature for checking oil level.....

Spyder Garage

Art, she is a good lady, but kinda old and withered now. Before we moved to Texas, she put 19 years in a coal mine but she is happy now as the saw mill is easier work. Had her around over 55 years and sorta getting used to her.

While not quite as experienced as yourself, what a great statement about your wife... When folks tell me how wonderful my wife is, I explain that she is now old and I plan to trade her in on a new red headed sport model.

Awesome to see people enjoy life, have fun and spend it with others they truly love being around.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George must keep her locked up when she isn't at the sawmill. He didn't even bring her to the Texas Hill Country Ride and I would have loved to meet her.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She was too busy mowing, and then had her paper route to take care of!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    She was too busy mowing, and then had her paper route to take care of!
    Bob, you are right. She could not go to the Spyder rally as she had several acres to mow....but I did buy her a new set of blades for her riding mower for her birthday. She is happy as mowing with that 40 year old reel mower was getting the old girl down...and I bought her the 54" cut mower so it only takes her about four hours to cut the seven acres....a little longer when she edges around the house and the 130' drive way the same day....

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Page 124 of the RT Operators Manual states an idling time of 30 seconds at operating temperature for checking oil level.....
    Thanks Gerard. I knew that had to be wrong....and I read it wrong...as it was 30 seconds idle on my 2011.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    George must keep her locked up when she isn't at the sawmill. He didn't even bring her to the Texas Hill Country Ride and I would have loved to meet her.
    Thanks, Ann, but the wife does not ride anymore since she fell of the barn while putting on a new roof. Maybe next year.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Gerard. I knew that had to be wrong....and I read it wrong...as it was 30 seconds idle on my 2011.

It is now clear to me.....30 seconds at idle....I quote from the owner's manual, after the oil is at temprature,

3. The engine needs to idle for at least
    30 seconds at normal operating
    temperature prior to verifying the
    oil level.
    Last edited by Mr. White; 10-27-2014 at 07:42 AM.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Level/BRP said 10 minutes

• Proper Oil Level Verification Procedure on 1330-engined Spyders

Hi everyone,
      There have been some questions on the right way for checking your oil on the 1330 engine. Below is the correct procedure:

Given the oil system design of the 1330 engine, oil level verification must be done under specific conditions which can influence the quantity of measurable oil in the engine.

These conditions are:

• Engine oil temperature must be between 80°C and 95°C (176°F and 203°F) which is considered as being the engine's normal operating temperature. Don't mistake coolant temperature for engine oil temperature! Coolant will heat up faster than the engine oil.
      • Engine oil temperature is crucial since its volume changes based on temperature; that's enough to affect the measurable level.
      • Engine must idle 10 minutes. The 1330 engine is a dry sump design with 3 scavenge pumps and 1 pressure pump, 10 minutes of idle time allows the scavenge pumps to stabilize the quantity of oil returned.

Spyder Garage

Default Checking the oil

I am been looking at threads on checking the oil on my 2014 RT. I just bought it used and have looked at the manual. And as posted I too am a bit confused. I road it for about 45 min doing some errands when I got home I just shut it off and then checked the oil. Nothing was showing on the dip stick, I have owned a few bikes but this one is really different than everything else I have owned in the past.

Anyway I did not see any oil on the dip stick so I added maybe a 1/4 of a quart of the correct oil I had purchased from the dealer. I still did not see any improvement but did not add anymore since I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. Is it put the parking break on and the bike idle for 10min after riding? Or can it just be checked after stopping the bike after a ride of 15 min or more? I don't want to overfill but I don't want to not have enough oil. The gentlemen I bought the bike from took real good care of it so I am sure he did not let it get low at any time. Since I do not know the bike well I am not sure how much or if any oil is burned in this bike. Maybe my method is incorrect

Let me know if you can answer my question or procedure.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Wife

Maybe you should bring her along to the Spyderfest and other big rides. She could probably make a few bucks changing oil and turning wrench on some of the Spyders.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider60 View Post
    I am been looking at threads on checking the oil on my 2014 RT. I just bought it used and have looked at the manual. And as posted I too am a bit confused. I road it for about 45 min doing some errands when I got home I just shut it off and then checked the oil. Nothing was showing on the dip stick, I have owned a few bikes but this one is really different than everything else I have owned in the past.

Anyway I did not see any oil on the dip stick so I added maybe a 1/4 of a quart of the correct oil I had purchased from the dealer. I still did not see any improvement but did not add anymore since I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. Is it put the parking break on and the bike idle for 10min after riding? Or can it just be checked after stopping the bike after a ride of 15 min or more? I don't want to overfill but I don't want to not have enough oil. The gentlemen I bought the bike from took real good care of it so I am sure he did not let it get low at any time. Since I do not know the bike well I am not sure how much or if any oil is burned in this bike. Maybe my method is incorrect

Let me know if you can answer my question or procedure.

Thanks
    You have to ride the Spyder to get it warmed up (not just around the block either) then you let it idle for 10 minutes then you check the oil.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you. Waiting 30 minutes is not acceptable at my age...hell, that is a big part of my future....ha ha

I bought the '14 vs the '15 for several reasons. Much better deal. I have known this dealer for a long time and he is honest when he said the '15 has few changes, will cost me much more to trade and showed me the difference....when I told my wife of the savings she was thrilled....this good lady, always practical, said "Oh good, now I won't have to work overtime Christmas eve at the saw mill."

My manual on page 98 says to idle for 10 minutes after warmed up..
    Last edited by jcasey; 11-17-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You heard right...but...I would just check the oil after a nice ride.

Most are reporting zero oil usage in between changes which are at 3000 initial and then every 9300 or once a year, whichever comes first.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You have to ride the Spyder to get it warmed up (not just around the block either) then you let it idle for 10 minutes then you check the oil.
    BRP has not updated the 2014 Owner's Manuals to reflect the change in the procedure for checking oil level to get more consistent results and avoid overfilling. The latest BRP procedure is in the 2015 manual, as well as in various threads on this forum, and the key points are:

1. Ride at least 9 miles (15km).
    2. Then let idle for 10 minutes.
    3. Check the oil level within two minutes of shutting the engine down.
    4. Make sure you are fully screwing in the dipstick, then withdrawing it to check the level.

The above info is found on page 123 of the 2015 RT Owner's manual.

I agree with others here. The point is to get the engine and engine oil truly hot, not just the water temperature as indicated on the temperature gauge. A ten-mile ride will do it. As akspyderman said, I usually just check it at the end of a long ride. Let the engine idle while you take your helmet and gloves off and find the paper towels. Then check the oil. So far, I have not seen a difference if I wait the full 10 minutes of idle. I think that's just BRP's way of making sure everyone is on the same playing field and the engine is truly hot after a ride. The cooling fans will kick on one or more times if you wait the full ten minutes.

As for consumption, the 1330's do seem to use very little oil. When I recently changed oil after 4500 miles, the level was just a trace below where it started 4500 miles earlier. That doesn't mean you shouldn't check it regularly, but it's nice to know you don't have to carry a quart of oil with you on long trips.

Just a suggestion... Download a copy of the 2015 RT owner's manual from the BRP website. It not only contains this change but also contains the revised suggested quantities to add when you do your own oil change (page 125) to avoid overfilling.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces