Thread: Water leaks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Water leaks

Has anyone had issues with water getting into the frunk or the fuel and temperature gages when washing their spyder? I just rinsed it down with a hose. I have had this happen twice now on the frunk. This was a first for the gages. It is a 2014 RT Limited. I have only had it a few months. Bought new. Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

There have been a few posts about the electronics, trunk, and water.

The trunk solve, is to make sure the rubber gasket is attached properly. It sometimes comes loose.

A hose, using very fine spray should not affect the electronics, but heavy spray or pressure wash is not recommended.

I have gravitated to using a damp cloth and a chamois to clean the instrument panel and the electronic clusters. No problems with the electronics.

AND:

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer found 2 issues with the Frunk causing water to enter when washing it or when raining. The lid was not closing down tight enough onto the rubber seal. The other issue was the battery tender was routed wrong causing an opening for water to enter. They rerouted the battery tender to the correct area and flooded the bike with water with no leaks at all. Glad that is behind me. Now if I can just find a trailer for my bike. BRB says they are temporaily unavailable. Not sure what that means since I'm looking for a 2014.

Spyder Garage

There are also some rubber grommets in the frunk right by the Bluetooth module.....if they are put in properly water does leak in there....I couldn't find how water was getting in mine....till I lifted the hood and just let a water stream flow along the top frunk raised edge and could see it dripping from those grommets.

Spyder Garage

image.jpgNo leak but my seal was pitiful & broke for unknown reasons, under warranty fyi the round top separated from the v grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bfromla; 12-05-2014 at 11:56 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had a shock on Wednesday when I found four inches of water in the frunk. Not a happy camper. Looks like the weatherstripping had come loose (is there supposed to be a gap in it by the latch??)

Bailed it out, drained it dry, and took the liner and the registration/insurance paperwork in to dry. The operator's manual is a complete write-off, it's soaked though and starting to fall apart.

Plan to address this issue with the dealer when I bring it in to get the trailer hitch and GPS installed. (Along with the fact the seat strut seems to have failed).
    2012 RT-S5, Quantum Blue, "Bitsy". Just starting out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    There have been a few posts about the electronics, trunk, and water.

The trunk solve, is to make sure the rubber gasket is attached properly. It sometimes comes loose.

A hose, using very fine spray should not affect the electronics, but heavy spray or pressure wash is not recommended.

I have gravitated to using a damp cloth and a chamois to clean the instrument panel and the electronic clusters. No problems with the electronics.

AND:
    Use as little water when washing a Spyder. They don't like to be hosed down and don't start them up when wet.

Mike

Spyder Garage

No leak my gasket was warranty replaced & did a recall issue sealing fuse box area fyi. Did learn however there is a rubber drain plug in frunk no bailing required i stash my paper wrk under seat old two wheel habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Good luck trying to find a new RT-622, since they were discontinued they have become scarce, might try looking for a used one or look at the new freedom trailer, have not seen one yet so i will not comment on it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer