Thread: First Scare

Spyder Garage

Default First Scare

...I had the day off Friday, and decided to take "Charlotte" to Denver for a Dr's appt. It was going to be the first time I took her on the Interstate (as I hate I-25), apx. 75 miles from exit to exit, and thru the Gauntlet of traffic during the morning rush hour in Denver. I was just entering Denver and still cruising at about 65 when there was this horrible sound and it acted like the bike had run out of gas. It was jerking and sputtering on and off. I looked down and it flashed "limp" mode and also code 55. I was in the passing lane and had to make my way across 4-lanes to the shoulder. I was decelerating rapidly and the traffic behind me wasn't cooperating much. I did manage to get to the side and shut it down. I waited for a minute or two (seemed like an hour), then hit the starter. Amazingly, it ran fine. The only alert I had was "check DMS". I called my dealer and he said that it was a power steering code and might be due to some heat build-up after running hard for quite a while. He said that the fault and check-engine light might go away after the bike sat for a bit, and if it didn't, to cycle the key on and off for six times. When I came out of my appt., the bike started and both the alert and check engine light were off. The bike ran great the rest of the day, and the rest of the ride was great. For the most part, the trip was at about 80 mph, and I was totally impressed with the handling. I've had the '10 RS for about a month and have been amazed at how well it handles. I've never experienced any "searching" with the front end, even in construction zones with "scarified" pavement. The original owner did some wonderful mods. I'm aware of BajaRon's sway bar on there, and am wondering if he did anything with the shocks. I've looked at them, but do not find anyone's brand name on them. The hard part, is the original owner passed away, and I'm not able to pick his brain to see what else he might have done. All in all, I'm not looking forward to experiencing the "limp" mode again anytime in the near future. I got the bike with 6,300 miles and it went just over 7k Friday. I've been riding 2-wheelers, and still am (have a Warrior, and a Ducati ST2), and live on Ute Pass, so have been able to gradually get used to the different riding style gradually. After 700 miles, I'm now starting to push the envelope a bit in the turns, and realize the front wheel won't really come off the ground in cornering. I've spent many hours pouring over the forums here, and have picked up many good tips. I just wanted to share my first "scare" with other newbee's. Bob in Cascade, CO..

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

there are those glitches. Glad you made it safely off the freeway and things got back to normal. Not sure what the dms stands for but you should have the dealer check by vin# if all update have been done and everything is up to date. Have had a similar incident on a long sweeping curve where the nanny was not happy with and shut down. Pulled the key walked away came back restarted and rode the hills with no problems ever again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have not looked at the code for this, but I have seen the orange limp mode over one subject, more then once. I have a 2010 Rt, bought new, 25 K and every now and then, I forget and barely touch the brake pedal while riding on the highway. I get the "orange sign" . Several thread on here about it. Barely touch the pedal for then a few (forget how long) and the Nanny decides you have a brake problem and throws orange. Turn it off for a couple min while taking the key. Nanny will reset.

Have fun out there, ride to Central city, ride the summer ride across the mountains, loveland pass, and just enjoy.

Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

I had that issue with my RS early on. BRP has a DPS recall on the early bikes - up to the 2010 RTs & RSs, and had a programing update. This wasn't properly done on my RS (by the Dealer) and I got "Limp Mode" at 70 on the freeway headed home. My RS would not reset, and my choice was "limp mode" back to the dealer, or wait 3 to 4 hours for AAA to come an get me (busy day). So I limped 12 miles back to the dealer on the side of the freeway.... Not fun, but when the software update was reinstalled, the bike was fine, and never had the problem again over the next 15,000 miles.

Hope you have a similar experience.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Actually you can get the inside front wheel off the ground if you lean out in a turn... not recommending it at all just FYI.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could it be a steering angle sensor, that needs a bit of tweaking?
    I have heard that if you're riding in where there's a bunch of long, sweeping curves; it can "confuse" the bike a bit...
    Holidng the bars in a constant turn, seems to make the bike think that you should be going straight ahed... yet the sensors read otherwise.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    Actually you can get the inside front wheel off the ground if you lean out in a turn... not recommending it at all just FYI.

JT
    I got the inside wheel off the ground while leaning inside while riding the Rattler in NC. Nanny put a stop to that!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have never experienced the limp mode on my 13 RT, but the fact that it can occur at interstates speeds while riding the interstate in the inside lane would indeed be more than a bit unnerving. The fact that BRP would allow that to happen sounds like a huge safety problem to me. What were they thinking? Why not just make the dash turn orange and flash red lights and warnings at you, etc., until you can safely pull over?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default ..l.oops..

...oops, I just caught my typo. I put the screen flashed check "DMS" and it actually was "DPS" (dynamic power steering) Since last Friday, I put on another 200 miles, but all of it under 70 mph. I was going straight at the time, and had about another 100 miles to get to my appt., then back home, so I was totally relieved when I restarted and it was fine. Bob..

Spyder Garage

hehehe.... there's a certain roundabout near me that either one of us get a wheel off the ground every time we go through it if we have 2 up.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I owned a 2011 RT for 2 years. It happened to me once, 2-3 months after I bought it new. It was during a very long right hand turn on the highway. It also went on limp mode. I exited the highway and stopped in a safe spot, turned it off and waited 10 mins.

It came back to life as if nothing happened, and the problem never reappeared. The dealer said they could see the code, but nothing else was wrong or needed to be reset/realigned.

...Ben...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoup2nuts View Post
    ...I had the day off Friday, and decided to take "Charlotte" to Denver for a Dr's appt. It was going to be the first time I took her on the Interstate (as I hate I-25), apx. 75 miles from exit to exit, and thru the Gauntlet of traffic during the morning rush hour in Denver. I was just entering Denver and still cruising at about 65 when there was this horrible sound and it acted like the bike had run out of gas. It was jerking and sputtering on and off. I looked down and it flashed "limp" mode and also code 55. I was in the passing lane and had to make my way across 4-lanes to the shoulder. I was decelerating rapidly and the traffic behind me wasn't cooperating much. I did manage to get to the side and shut it down. I waited for a minute or two (seemed like an hour), then hit the starter. Amazingly, it ran fine. The only alert I had was "check DMS". I called my dealer and he said that it was a power steering code and might be due to some heat build-up after running hard for quite a while. He said that the fault and check-engine light might go away after the bike sat for a bit, and if it didn't, to cycle the key on and off for six times. When I came out of my appt., the bike started and both the alert and check engine light were off. The bike ran great the rest of the day, and the rest of the ride was great. For the most part, the trip was at about 80 mph, and I was totally impressed with the handling. I've had the '10 RS for about a month and have been amazed at how well it handles. I've never experienced any "searching" with the front end, even in construction zones with "scarified" pavement. The original owner did some wonderful mods. I'm aware of BajaRon's sway bar on there, and am wondering if he did anything with the shocks. I've looked at them, but do not find anyone's brand name on them. The hard part, is the original owner passed away, and I'm not able to pick his brain to see what else he might have done. All in all, I'm not looking forward to experiencing the "limp" mode again anytime in the near future. I got the bike with 6,300 miles and it went just over 7k Friday. I've been riding 2-wheelers, and still am (have a Warrior, and a Ducati ST2), and live on Ute Pass, so have been able to gradually get used to the different riding style gradually. After 700 miles, I'm now starting to push the envelope a bit in the turns, and realize the front wheel won't really come off the ground in cornering. I've spent many hours pouring over the forums here, and have picked up many good tips. I just wanted to share my first "scare" with other newbee's. Bob in Cascade, CO..
    You said that you were decelerating rapidly which means that your Spyder probably has not had the computer update for Limp Mode. Prior to the update Limp Mode would drop your speed to approx. 45 mph, which was quite scary. After the update the Spyder is limited to 5,000 rpm (on the 998 motor) so, while you will probably experience a drop in speed, you won't feel like the brakes were jammed on. It would probably be a good idea for you to take the Spyder in to a dealer and have them hook it up to BUDS. You will probably be charged for 1/2 hour shop time.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622