Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire balancing? What have car tire DIY'ers been doing?

OK so I got my Hydroedge and will be pulling the rear tire myself.

I understand I can take it to a car place to get the tire on the rim. I also understand I have to remove the break disk rotor from the rim for them to do that.

Now the question is, is a car place going to be able to balance the tire?

What have other car tire converts been doing in this area?
    I am hoping I don't have to pull the wheel bearings......

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Some can balance the tire. Most can't.

I take all the weights off (which you'll need to do regardless) and use Ride-On. I've had good luck with that.

Others have used ceramic balancing beads. Can't give you an opinion on that.

Sping balancing, of course, would be best.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I am not a big ride-on fan to be honest but if that is the only way I guess I am stuck with it.
    I have a couple HD shops in my area and I will ask if they can balance and if not go that route.

Thanks....

So any car place will be able to mount the tire at least correct?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am not a big ride-on fan to be honest but if that is the only way I guess I am stuck with it.
    I have a couple HD shops in my area and I will ask if they can balance and if not go that route.

Thanks....

Bob
    You may want to try the beads. They won't stop a leak or seal a nail hole, but they aren't gooey either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I didn't do it

.....My first rear tire to car change I did have it balanced ( static , not spin ) My second one I didn't do anything ...........drove about 5000 miles that way ...and I couldn't tell the difference ................It didn't have any effect on the tire that showed.........................PS I always spin balance the front ( it'sa must do ).....JMHO.....MIke............................... .I think if you can't get it spin balanced you can probably get it bubble balanced that would be better than not , i suppose

Spyder Garage

I don't have much experience with Ride-On due to the fact I used it for the first time last week. I had new tires put on my Victory and afterward I had a small vibration in the front tire. They balanced it at the dealer but they're 120 miles away so I decided to try the Ride-On. After putting the Ride-On in the tire I rode the bike down the road and within about 3 miles the vibration was gone.
    I'm going to put it in the tires on the Rt tomorrow just for the sealing ability and maybe it will keep the tires running smooth as they wear. If I couldn't balance my tires I would give Ride-On a try.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Thanks....

Bob
    Most any car tire shop should be able to change it. My local tire shop changed mine but couldn't balance it. They didn't even have a bubble balance machine around any more. Those are pretty much history I think. I wasn't too crazy about the idea but as the only local option I let him put in Liquid Tire Balance, probably basically the same as Ride-On. It's what they use a lot in truck and pickup tires. With 4700 cross country miles on my Hydroedge I have noticed no rear tire balance issues at all.

Take the brake rotor off but leave the hub on. I took my hub off and others here said it needs to be on to balance the tire on a spin balancer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

OK so looks like I will go the ride-on method if I cant get is spin balanced. My rim has a sh*t load of lead on it now so I will have them remove it.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default did not use anything

I changed my tire earlier this week 5 bucks to mount, they could not balance so I figured I would use ride-on. I decided to try and ride spyder first and figured I would add ride-on later if needed. So far 40 miles zero vibration. Going to daytona this weekend about 500 miles roundtrip. Will see if I need any.

Moe

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire balancing? What have car tire DIY'ers been doing?

Go buy a static tire balancer at harbor freight tools and do it yourself. That's what I use.

http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycl...not%20provided
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have used the balancing beads on my last bike and had no issues using them, had them in all three tires..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    Go buy a static tire balancer at harbor freight tools and do it yourself. That's what I use.

http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycl...not%20provided
    I've always been curious about these. The spyder wheel fits and it works good?
    Any advice or tips on actually using it? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

I took mine to a bike shop and they mounted & balanced mine with the rotor still on the tire...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Beads

I too use the balancing beads on all my bikes. They work great and are reuseable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Some can balance the tire. Most can't.

I take all the weights off (which you'll need to do regardless) and use Ride-On. I've had good luck with that.

Others have used ceramic balancing beads. Can't give you an opinion on that.

Sping balancing, of course, would be best.
    I also use Ride-On. Works well for balancing, but no ideal on the sealing function as I have not had to test that yet.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I've always been curious about these. The spyder wheel fits and it works good?
    Any advice or tips on actually using it? Thanks!
    ......................................Drew , On my first rear tire change this was the device used at the MTC. shop and I had no problems with the REAR wheel...............But I also had no problems without balancing the REAR wheel at all..............It may make a difference that the rear wheel AXEL goes thru the wheel and is supported/fastened on both sides. .....and unless there is a really large imbalance it's not noticeable.......Mike

Spyder Garage

I took mine to a local custom trike builder. He balanced it using a liquid balance, similar to Ride-On. I have about 1500 miles on it, to date, and am happy with the results.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike! I would never be that lucky with an unbalanced wheel...id spend the time and put the unbalanced rear wheel on and I would be the one pogo sticking down the road....haha..yes, that's my luck.

Im thinking that for the $50 for the "contraption" it might be worth it to throw the wheel on and check the balance if I can figure out how to use it. Assuming I can't find a tire shop to balance.

Spyder Garage

Default I DO BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Thanks Mike! I would never be that lucky with an unbalanced wheel...id spend the time and put the unbalanced rear wheel on and I would be the one pogo sticking down the road....haha..yes, that's my luck.

Im thinking that for the $50 for the "contraption" it might be worth it to throw the wheel on and check the balance if I can figure out how to use it. Assuming I can't find a tire shop to balance.
    ..........................From what I remember from watching Him do it.....after securing the wheel and tire between the rubber cones ....He spun the wheel and after it stopped ...chalked the bottom ...He did this a few times ,chalking as He went ........Then He placed a weight on the opposite side from the chalk mark and re-did the process. It's not as fast as spin balancing but it only took him 10 minutes .......................Also I think H.F. sends directions with the stand .......Good luck ...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. When I get to that point and if I have to go that route I'll post up some pics! I'd rather go this route than putting stuff inside.

Spyder Garage

On the harbor frieght web site for that balancer there is a tab at the top to allow you to download the instructions.

FYI I use this exact same device but a smaller version to balance RC airplane props and RC Heli main blades.
    It's pretty easy to use.

But my question about that device is, will the rear tire fit on it between the left and right suppoorts? I saw no specs on it about width.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

FYI, you all might read the reviews on this balancer on Harbor Frieght. Not too good. Appears the QC on these is not great. Bent shafts, stuck bearings, etc. So if you buy one, check it out fully!

I think I am going with the ride-on though or the balance beads.
    I will flip a coin and decide

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

The problem that I have found with wheel weights are that they sometimes fall off or the wheel is not balanced correctly in the first place. The nice thing about Ride-on or balance beads is that they will redistribute as the tire gets worn down providing true balance the whole life of the tire. With weights, the tire can come out of balance and get worse as the tire gets worn down.

Spyder Garage

What bothers me about ride-on or beads, is why this is not mainstream on cars if they work so well?
    If they are so great, why are car tire places still using weights?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black