Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Hi Siara,
    Understand your situation completely. Had fibromyalgia myself and know the pain and fatigue you are going through. I put the kickstand down for good after a nice ride that went bad. Muscle memory and Guardian Angels got me safely home that day.

I like riding my own and don't like riding as a passenger. A few years went by, bought my Spyder and got my face back in the wind. Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    There's currently a black 2010 RT-S and a brown 2012 RT-Ltd for sale but both have the SE5 transmission. How are they compared to the newest model regarding shifting and fuel mileage? I'm really worried about spending all my savings towards a second-hand model and ending up with a 'lemon' as everyone seems to call them here.

Can you perhaps give me some feedback on the older models?
    The SE5 is the paddle-shift transmission, easy on your hands. The pre- 2014 models had poorer fuel milage, but still a great Spyder. Personally, I would go for the 2012 RT-Ltd because it might be still under warranty. (Don't know how things work across the puddle...)

As for any being a 'lemon', are these RTs being sold at a dealership? If so, in my humble opinion, the dealership should warranty anything that is sold out of their store for a certain amount of time.

Sometimes people will buy a Spyder thinking it's cool, but don't put the miles on it to learn how to ride it correctly. Their loss is your gain.

Private Message sent...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I also rode 2 wheels for a long time (30 years). Had everything from a Gold Wing to sport bikes, but was getting to a point where I just didn't want to "tip toe" a bike anymore. Had my share of cruisers, and did not want to go that route again. Test road a RSS at Americade, and I was hooked. Ended up buying a 2010 RTS, that was in mint condition with low miles. It is more comfortable than 2 wheels, has storage, and is a blast to ride. I live in western NC, with some of the best roads east of the Miss., and this thing is a hoot in the curves.

Got with the Spyder, you will not regret it.

Spyder Garage

You found a Spyder! Yeah! Don't see it as a step down from 2 wheels but a step towards freedom! I am a new Spyder owner myself. My 2 wheeled machine was fine, never got sore riding it (well... my hips sometimes from Fred flintstoning it through intersections while cars beeped at me... ).

I feel sore riding the Spyder. As I learn how to ride it that has decreased. Also it is a different set of muscles for me and I will get stronger. You will love it! The 2012 is a good year

Spyder Garage

Default Three wheels.... when necessary

This is my first post on the forum, but most appropriate.... I think. First, I have been solo across the US twice, BMW K1200RS, Suzuki DL1000, the last in 2008 so i guess I could be called experienced. Have owned several bikes from 400cc Supermoto to Hayabusa the latter sold when I was 66 years old. Last bike, Suzuki DR650SE, modified by race shop. I could fly either end of the Busa... just too much fun to be terrified...LOL

Of note, I also had Can Am Spyder Serial Number XXXXXXX003008. This was sold to purchase a Smart ForTwo....LOL

However, now, at age 74, some say an old lady, I have some arthritis and other aches and pains, but also, some thoughts that holding a bike up in traffic may not be the best idea. So, in a few days, off to the local dealer to purchase a new F3 something..probably with bags, etc., but at least to get onto three wheels. Absolutely NOT a motorcycle, but an excellent alternative if you like the fresh air blowing in your face. I found with my first one that once the technique used by the four-wheelers is mastered one can run the stability control system to the edge before it messes with the performance.

So, if being in the open is what you want, go for the Spyder. Huge fun even if it is not a "part of you" like a two wheel bike is. Best wishes, happy trails and good luck

Spyder Garage

MsMoto, Welcome to our little corner of the web.

Looking forward to a picture of your new F3!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

I also had to switch from two wheels to three. I have a 2012RT Limited and it has been a great machine. It has over 53,000 kilometers and running strong.
    I am from Canada.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Picked up the new one yesterday. Much improved over my first Spyder No. 3008. A lot less storage in terms of only small sized item fits in any of the compartments, but I can manage this with a rear seat bag when necessary.

Will be adding a GPS unit, hopefully the instructions on installation can be figured out...LOL

Eventually, I will start a new thread with photos of this as I have been known to capture a few images with Nikon equipment.

See ya' soon....

Spyder Garage

Looks by you tag that you got one so.. Hope all works out with your health issues.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Love it

I have discovered several improvements on the new Spyder, even the anti-sleep function about 70 mph....

The vibration is something which can be corrected. The biggest difference is the less touchy steering, much easier to drive fast.

My only health issue is my age, and I consider this far better than the alternative.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Siara View Post
    Hey everyone,

I apologize for the weird title in advance but it will become clear in just a minute. I currently drive a wonderful BMW F800GT which I worship and adore. I couldn't imagine living without it. Unfortunately my body doesn't agree with me. I've been diagnosed with ME/CFS/Fibromyalgia a few years back and I'm finally starting feeling the drain it's taking on my body. I really don't want to part with my two-wheeler but I'm afraid in the end I'll have no choice. Since I absolutely loathe driving a car and it's in no way a replacement for a two-wheeler, I'm kind of looking for an alternative for when it becomes 100% impossible to ride a two-wheeler.

What about that new F3?
    I am in a similar situation. I have been riding for 40+ years. Just recently was involved in a life threatening/altering accident. Died twice en route to the hospital they tell me and now I have enough hardware in me to open my own hardware store! The location and proximity to vital organs and arteries make it extremely hazardous to ride on 2 wheels with the higher possibility of a fall. I, like you, couldn't live without the "wind in my face" so to speak and was quite disconsolate about my riding future or lack thereof.

Then the Spyder dawned on me and it has been an awesome trip. I have more than enough fun on it. If you want to ride it hard you need to lean with it and have very good technique. It can be quite invigorating. You can also just kick back and cruise and wave back at all the folks that point/stare/wave at you. I spend as much time talking about it to complete strangers as I did with my bikes.... I am partial to the sportier F3 line but go with what grabs ya and fits your needs.... Here's to hoping you have the same great experience I did!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    I have discovered several improvements on the new Spyder, even the anti-sleep function about 70 mph....

The vibration is something which can be corrected. The biggest difference is the less touchy steering, much easier to drive fast.

My only health issue is my age, and I consider this far better than the alternative.
    Glad you like your F3!

IMHO, age is not a health issue. Your mental age is what counts.
    I've been 24 for a few years now...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...

Spyder Garage

Default Cypress, Texas..

About ten years ago I rode my bike down through San Antonio, have very good friends in the Woodlands. Was there in January, this year.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Honestly- not as fun as two wheels.

I still really enjoy the Spyder and put many more miles on it compared to my sport bikes. You don't need to worry about road conditions nearly as much, single vehicle accidents are less likely, you are much more visible, it holds tons, you can listen to the radio, go on trips, take it food shopping, keep your hands warm, feel safer and feel like you are on a unique toy.

I just read that you got one. Hope you are enjoying it!
    Last edited by Jenfz09; 09-16-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    2012 RT-S SE5
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Yamaha FZ-09
    2015 Yamaha R3
    2006 Harley XL1200 (sold)

Spyder Garage

Default Not as much fun?

Love discussions which are based only on our individual opinions.....i.e, everyone is correct!

My perspective on the Spyder in terms of "fun"... no where near as exciting as backing a Hayabusa into a corner at about 120 mph, or the acceleration, passing a V-Rod at 132 mph....getting north of 150 mph.... but, maybe the Spyder is just different fun. Or, maybe at my age reality says a lot of the things I used to do several years ago are simply not possible due to the changes we incur above 70 years old.

But, the Spyder does give me a lot of enjoyment riding in the open air, rather quick acceleration, albeit nothing like a Busa, and as I develop the exhaust system, a very nice sound when twisting the throttle.

It is the Spyder's advantages, the three wheels eliminating the balance required to ride two wheels, and the huge stopping power provided by lots of rubber on the road, which extend the riding careers of those of us who should not be on two wheels.

However, as one who has some riding in her background, two solos across the US, I will attest to the fact that the relationship with a motorcycle with two wheels where one is a part of the bike and the controls are extensions of one's central nervous system, is decidedly different where on a Spyder one holds it with the knees, rides with the Spyder moving about under one's tail while very gently putting steering input to adjust the trajectory. And, the weight shifting to ride quickly on a Spyder is where the real "disconnection" occurs although in one sense the weight shifting creates a new relationship with the vehicle.

Thus I would conclude the Spyder is quite different but may actually prove to be as much fun in a different way than two wheels. It sure beats not riding at all....LOL
    Msmoto

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RT. My wife use to have a 500 scooter but sold it after it fell over on her. Now she wants s RS or a st. She has health issues also but she loves to ride. So what ever you get should suit you fine. Some people like the 998's others like the 1330's. Just look for the one the gives you that want to get out and ride feeling. Happy Trails

Spyder Garage

My husband had an accident on a motorcycle and to continue to ride with me, broke down and went with a Spyder RT Limited. It is semi-automatic and was a great way to be involved with riding without loosing the total feel of riding. He convinced me to start riding a Spyder as well and I have a F3S, which is manual. There are numerous differences in the rides as the F3S manual has you shifting and the wind factor is a consideration, the RT Limited is like the Cadillac of them and the ride is smoother. The RT has an adjustable windshield that allows for your comfort, along with some hand warmers. The floorboards allow for a more comfortable ride. A few months ago someone did a uturn infront of him and took out the left side wheel, which ended up totaling the Spyder. He is was fine just upset that he lost his favorite ride. It had the most storage as well when traveling. He would carry all the gear we needed for a week and I was free to play.
    Good Luck finding the ride that will be the best fit for you. Just remember we all give advice from where we are at in our life and what we prefer, you must make the decision that is the best fit for you. You are the only one who can make that decision.
    Gwenn